Reading Group #2

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Omar, Jan 3, 2009.

Omar

Omar Administrator LPA Super Member

Okay, seeing as how the last choice didn't pan out so well (and I agree, it was an odd tale), I'm going to ask for some suggestions this time around, while of course adding a few of my own.

Please keep in mind a few things in your suggestions:

1. The book must be widely available in print or on-line. This usually requires that the book be at least a few years old, and also of significant acclaim.

2. The book should have topics/themes/ideas that would benefit from being discussed. Therefore, books that serve as only entertainment, or light summer reading, aren't suitable.

After taking in all suggestions (if any), we'll hold a vote to decide which one to read. Please only suggest and/or vote if you plan on reading with us. Assuming the book is of average length (~350 pages), we'll probably aim to finish in a month's time.

My suggestions are as follows:

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides - a hermaphrodite retraces his/her genetic lineage through three generations of his/her Greek family. A Pulitzer Prize winner from the author of The Virgin Suicides and highly readable. I'm almost half-way through, and am finding this book very enjoyable.

Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger - a tale of two siblings in their 20s, one trying to help the other who struggles with disenchantment and inauthenticity.

Appointment in Samarra by John O'Hara - concerns the self-destruction of Julian English, once a member of the social elite in Gibbsville, Ohio in the 1930s.

TheRockChick

TheRockChick Pffft... LPA Super Member

Okay, so I know I said that the first book you suggested is available in the library, but what I didn't realize is that it's only in Swedish. It's a shame, really, I was excited about it.

But I found the second one and I think that it looks interesting enough. I also found The Virgin Suicides. We can add it to the list, if you want.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

God's Debris: A Thought Experiment by Scott Adams.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

Omar

Any other people interested? I'm up for Brave New World, but we need at least four or five people.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I'd be interested in any of Omar's suggestions, probably either of the first two in particular. I've already read most of Casey's but I'd be willing to do so again.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I really think God's Debris would be a good choice. It's the type of book that's perfect for a group discussion/book club, and the foreword even encourages you giving the book to your friends and then discussing it later.

Omar

It definetly seems interesting, but people seem to get testy when the topic of religion comes up. That's why I want to steer clear of anything that could become controversial.

Plus, a novel would be an easier first start, me thinks. I do appreciate the suggestion though.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I'm interested. How about The Catcher in The Rye? by J. D. Salinger.

Holden Caulfield recounts the days following his expulsion from Pencey Prep, a private school. After a fight with his roommate, Stradlater, Holden leaves school two days early to explore New York before returning home, interacting with teachers, prostitutes, nuns, an old girlfriend, and his sister along the way. J.D. Salinger's classic The Catcher in the Rye illustrates a teenager's dramatic struggle against death and growing up.

The reason I'm suggesting this book is that it looks interesting and it's something that I myself haven't read yet

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
    Omar

I haven't read it either, and it sounds very interesting. Anybody else up for that one?

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Penny

Penny LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I'm up for it. It seems interesting.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I already have my own copy so that would be easy for me to arrange. Having said that I've already read it a couple of times and have written essays on it, but I'd be pretty glad to do so again.

TheRockChick

Count me in, I'm pretty interested.

Gloomy Mushroom

I'm for Brave New World, not Catcher in the Rye. Never liked Catcher in the Rye for some reason, but somehow I'm in a hate-love relationship with BNW.

And oops, forgot to post the summary of it:
    What about "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" by Phillip K. Dick?

Omar

I think we've got 5 people (myself included) for Catcher, so unless there's more for another selection, this seems like the best option. Plus, because it's so well-known, it's probably easy for people to get. I checked today, and my library had four copies, which is well more than they have for other popular titles.

So just to recap, the following people are up for Catcher in the Rye:

Omar
    Exalted Photon
    TheRockChick
    Scotty
    Penny

Please check to make sure you can get a copy, either in print or on-line. If not, we'll try to help you get one. :)

TheRockChick

Cool. I've already checked with the library and it's available. I'll see if I can get it tomorrow.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

Ugh, Catcher in the Rye. lol. I had to read that book like 8 years ago in school.

Chris Tucker

Chris Tucker Banned

:sick: Me too.

Gloomy Mushroom

Anyone else for Brave New World?