The Rasmus - Black Roses

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Foreshadowed_LP, Sep 25, 2008.

Foreshadowed_LP

Foreshadowed_LP Well-Known Member

So then, the new album, Black Roses by The Rasmus was released yesterday in Finland, Sweden, Estonia, Norway and Denmark. Tomorrow it is released in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and The Netherlands. The International release date is the 29th, likewise, for Japan and Canada.

Anyway, the whole album has already leaked in its entirety. So has anyone heard the album yet and if so, what do you think overall?

I have not given in to temptation. I am going to wait for the next 4 days as I wish to be surprised. I have heard Livin' In A World Without You and You Got It Wrong and both are very solid, enjoyable tracks overall. So I am really looking forward to receiving my Black Roses album.

The band have decided to make this album reminiscents of their breakthrough album, Dead Letters but with some heavier tracks from Hide From The Sun and adding parts of their old style from their 4th album, Into. They've also done songs that could possibly resemble or be related to such bands as Depeche Mode or even Muse (stated by people who already have the album). The album is described as very dark, emotional with a sound of rock, pop and electro all rolled into one. And the catchier side of The Rasmus is back, which I am ecastic about as Hide From The Sun only had a few real standout, catchy tracks.

From what I read, if you like pop or dance-esque songs, listen to Your Forgiveness and Dangerous Kind (this has been described like In The Shadows). And if you want to hear a heavier side, listen to The Fight. But I'm going by what I observed over on the forums from people who have heard the album in full.

Anyway, feedback is welcome with open arms.

Cheers.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

This one has Anette Olzon (new singer of Nightwish ex-singer of Alyson Avenue) on it.

Foreshadowed_LP

Unfortunately, it doesn't. The song was taken out around a month or so ago as it didn't fit with the album. They intend to release the song with Anette on there in the nearby future, perhaps in a Finnish film or something.

Gloomy Mushroom

That's so uncool. I was looking forward to that song. :(

barnes80

barnes80 Well-Known Member

never even heard of this band but its actually pretty good stuff.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Every one of the songs in this CD is the same to me...it isn't bad, just gets boring really fast.

Foreshadowed_LP

I actually disagree with this opinion, no offence. Reason being I have listened through the album at least 5 times now and the songs do not sound the same whatsoever. Each track has its own unique style/sound. I mean sure, this album may be full of extended bridges and a lot of electronic sounds. However, each tracks sounds completely different. You got a mixture of rock/pop/electro/funk/dance and even an almost western feeling (in Live Forever) all used in various songs. Some contain some very haunting intros and some end with such power. A couple of songs are slow and emotional (Justify & Live Forever) and other tracks are fast, sharp and catchy (Ghost Of Love, Your Forgiveness, Dangerous Kind and The Fight). Some have a harder and more definitive rock sound (Lost And Lonely, Run To You and The Fight); while others tracks are soft and calm yet equally stunning (Ten Black Roses, Justify and Live Forever).

Hell, even some tracks start off at a fast pace but slow down for the chorus or towards the end of a song (The Fight is a key example). This therefore, is evidence of the differences inserted into each individual track.

Each track contains a different story, divided into four chapters. This album is half fact and half fiction and that is what makes the album different to all the others. A lot of imagination and creativity has gone into this album compared to all the rest and that is what makes each song special and unrelated to one another; not just lyrically or story-wise... but also in sound. Sure, this has influences from their previous albums: Dead Letters, Hide From The Sun and Into; but they have added another new vibe to this album. None of the songs are the same to me and this overall, is an enthrilling album and my album of the year. The best Rasmus album to date.

Anyway, here is my review I have written for play.com. Unfortunately it's not up there just yet. But enjoy:

A Diamond In The Roses!

The title may be misleading, but this album is a real gem, a rare diamond. I have anticipated this album for 3 years and after the long and patient wait, I am very impressed with this album. There was a strong contingency of fans who were not pleased with Hide From The Sun due to the complete sound change. The Rasmus attempted a more heavier route, disposing of the piano's and more softer rock/pop sounds (except for Sail Away) that we are all accustomed to with The Rasmus. Instead, they took a risk and refined their sound. Some liked HFTS and others didn't. People were expecting an album linked or relating to Dead Letters, their major breakthrough album. I too, wanted the same but overall I was pleased with HFTS and felt it was a solid album. However, it did lack something special. That spark that was on Dead Letters just didn't seem to gleam anymore and died down. Sure, HFTS had some strong songs and potential singles, but nothing compared to Dead Letters, in my opinion.

Was this the fault of the band? Not really. They felt compelled to immediately start a new album and were rushed into it after the success of their Dead Letters album and the major hit single, In The Shadows. It cost them. But this time around they took a long and well deserved break after HFTS flopped. They inserted a tremendous amount of time, thoughts, and efforts into their seventh album, Black Roses. Livin' In A World Without You was the first single off the album and ironically, the final song they had written and made. It has that vibe of being an immediate hit with the verses rapped somewhat, the awesome extended bridge that builds up into a wonderful and soaring chorus. And this was the first taste of the new and improved sound of The Rasmus. Working along side the Legendary Producer known as Desmond Child; these guys explored a new way to make this new album. They tried new techniques; Lauri read scipts that Hollywood writers use to split the album into four chapters. They went around many countries/cities to gain inspiration for the album and had used Desmond's knowledge to exceed and succeed in the making of this album.

The result: Black Roses. This album brings back the catchier rock/pop tracks from Dead Letters but with a more electro sound this time around. Each track contains a unique sound and some very haunting intros also. Not only that but Pauli uses some awesome mini-guitar solos in various tracks that really add to the song, while Eero still performs well on bass; there is a HUGE improvement from Aki who shows some phenomenal drum work, The Fight being one highlight for him. And a song that will most definitely be a hard rocking one played live.

Not only that but Lauri's voice is incredible. He sings absolutely beautiful on all the tracks and hits the high notes perfectly. You can tell after years of touring and having no real break whatsoever, the guy needed time to rest and relax his voice. And this is the result after all the time away, his voice is better than ever. Ten Black Roses, Ghost Of Love, Your Forgiveness, Lost And Lonely and The Fight are perfect examples of Lauri's amazing voice.

Anyway, if you enjoyed HFTS, then you may like this album, which contains some hard rocking tracks such as Run To You, the symphonic Lost And Lonely and The Fight. If you are fans of Dead Letters then you should adore this album with the ever so catchy Your Forgiveness, the dance-esque pop sound of Dangerous Kind, the 80's rock Ghost Of Love & the beautiful Justify. Not only does Black Roses use their sound from Dead Letters or HFTS; but they managed to retain some vibes from their Into album also. Desmond really benefitted the band. A more mature sound and their best album to date!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
    Ant

Ant Ambient

I like the album. That is all.

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

The singer dyed his hair white for this one. He now looks like an ugly pidgeon instead of a grim crow.

Gloomy Mushroom

First thought was an albino. He looked awesome looking like a grim crow.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Listen to In The Shadows, you'll know it.

I find this band boring so i haven't checked this album out, don't plan too either.

Foreshadowed_LP

Meh, doesn't matter what colour his hair is for this album. But I'll admit, he looks very young since he dyed it back to white blonde. He's 29 years old but looks in his early 20's.

@ Jordan: Maybe you should check out a different variety of tracks from the band. If you've only listened to In The Shadows and Guilty (just assuming) they've done much better, more hard rocking tracks than that. Perhaps check out Not Like The Other Girls, Time To Burn, Immortal, Dead Promises, Night After Night (Out Of The Shadows), Heart Of Misery, Run To You, Lost And Lonely and The Fight. These are highly recommended; more rocking songs. Just thought I'd suggest that for you.