Metal Gear Solid 4

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Dean, Jun 12, 2008.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

The official release was today, so here's a thread for me Tom and Joe anyone who has it or will be getting it.

Post spoilers without making your text invisible and be shanked.

lpkornfan22

lpkornfan22 Well-Known Member

man I have been waiting for this game for forever
    I am going to buy it later today
    but the funny thing is
    I don't have a PS3 yet

dumb I know :D

Dean

I was going to do that, haha.

lpkornfan22

Yes! my parents agreed to buy me the metal gear PS3 bundle today
    I am set! :bounce:

NickelNine

NickelNine It's the gin talking >>>>> LPA VIP

I beat the game last night. I'm going to try my hardest to reveal less than IGN and GameSpot did so I don't ruin anything for those of you that may not have read or seen anything. I'm not the greatest at translating my thoughts into words, as you'll see, and I'll be all over the place but I'll try to type it out. I won't cover every little aspect as a heads up. Just my own little thoughts and opinions.

I'll start by saying I am a huge fan of the series (probably obsessed) and I am a sucker for everything the series is known for, so I may be a little biased. The game, for the most part, is everything and then some from what I was expecting. Of course I wanted the game to keep going but it has to end at some point. I was still very satisfied with the ending. No, it's not the greatest game of all-time, in my opinion, but it is great. Overall, an amazing and unforgettable experience.

I think it will be very difficult players who have not played/completed any MGS game before to connect to the story and understand what the hell everyone is talking about, so I would suggest for those people to read story overviews of every game in the series before playing MGS4. The game does try to educate new players to the series and help out those who have played but not cared/payed much attention to the stories through the cut scenes (its just mixed into the dialog and flashbacks) but it I feel it will be easier to follow if you have some knowledge going into it.

MGS4 does have some of the best graphics you will ever see, especially in-game, and that will appeal to most but the importance and value of it is for your own judgment. The cut scenes are what they are and what we've all come to expect, more of them than gameplay, but no complaints here. I love them. The only ones that kind of bothered me and slowed the pace down way too much were the mission overview sequences on the plane (not the normal cinematic style). These could have been shortened and were the only places the character Sunny appeared (she was also in a scene with a little boy at the end that I could spend way too much time thinking about and over analyzing for no reason because it was probably meaningless). I still don't understand why she was even in the game and I've spent too much time already on her. I do wish there would have been one initial install like GTAIV. It does have installs for other difficulties after you beat the game so you will still have to "take a break" as the game suggests. The load sequences do get in the way at times, especially the action scenes on vehicles. But onto my highlights!

For the first time in my gaming career I felt really emotionally connected to a character and game as a whole. I wish I could say the part that sealed the deal for me (climax w/ split screen) but I won't for obvious reasons. An unreal experience an I will never forget it. There was another part, about 2/3 the way through the game (end of the Europe act in the water) that was very emotional and shocking for me. I couldn't believe what I saw. Also, the final gameplay sequence was epic. I knew the game had to do it like this, and I was expecting it the whole time, but it was so appropriate and perfect. It kept me guessing how the story would actually turn out during that sequence. But there are so many other scenes (that I won't waste your and my time on) I wish I could discuss that I absolutely loved!! Turns me into a teenie thinking about some of them!!!11! jk.

The Beauty and the Beast fights were great and intimidating. They made me fear them right off the bat in the game. I loved it. Oh, and for those of you worrying about Drebin points going into the game, it's a non-issue (I played on Naked Normal so difficulty will more than likely affect your use of Drebin if you choose a harder difficulty). I went the whole game without buying a thing until the final act and it was just for ammo. Almost any weapon you want is there, assuming you come across it in the game, with accessories. Every other corner seems to hide an item.

The over the top story twists and turns, cute moments, humor, emotion, and nostalgia are all there. But the experience in MGS4 is not to be missed by fans of the series or PS3 owners. Sit and play it when you have a chance whether it's pruchased now, rented in a month, bought after a price cut, seen in the bargain bin, or given to you for free 20 years from now. It really does offer something for everyone. Each experience is different for every person, good or bad. But don't listen to me or reviewers of the game. Experience it for yourself.

Grade: A-
    Great effort but not perfect. No game is. : )

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
    Tom

Tom LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

Tom as in me? lol

Well I've yet to play on it, I will however be playing on it tomorrow night at Gary's house, so I can't wait.

Some of my friends were rumoring a 90 minute cut scene? True or Bullshit?

Dean

Apparently there is one...

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I read that there are a lot of cutscenes at the beginning of the game with little to no actual gameplay. So that's maybe what they're talking about.

Tom

Tom LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

Ah right so it wasn't just me who had heard of it lol

Yeah I didn't believe him, 90 minutes for a 'cut scene' should be called a movie. lol

Yeah I thought the same as you, Will, maybe many cut scenes very closely together, but even so I never imagined 90 minutes lol.

Nickelnine - Can you confirm if there is a 90 min cut scene?

Dean

I hope it's not one of those that's made up of a few individual ones, with one that's actually relevant to the story and a load of others about what kind of ammunition Metal Gear's railgun uses and stuff like that.

NickelNine

I was asked the same thing just after I beat the game. If I would have known about the rumor beforehand I would have paid more attention and kept track. But from my memory, the longest string of videos could be 50 minutes at most. There are at least 2 points in the game, that immediately come to mind, where this may have happened.

To give a little insight into the reason for the length is due to what the game does at the end of and start of an act. A cut scene sequence happens at the conclusion of an act, then it is followed by the mission briefings (huge chunk of time spent here), then followed by a cut scene sequence to start the next act. These are all videos with no game play. Maybe add the install time into the mix and I could see it reaching 90 minutes. I'd believe it but my feeling is that it never passed an hour.

I'm not the best person to ask about it. I'd wait for someone to actually time the scenes with proof to know for sure. I had no idea of the rumored lengths going into it, so I was taking the stops in the play as they came and sat back and watched, not looking at the clock.

I went through the game again. There is a segment that lasts around 65 minutes with no gameplay. End of act 3.

EDIT: My first time through the game took me 18 hours (on Naked normal) and I searched every corner and I struggled figuring out the bosses. I assume most people will do it in 16 or less.
    The casual speedrun, just completed, took me a little over 3 hours. I skipped all the cut scenes and codec conversations. I knew where I was going and what to do so in no way is this any indication of the total gameplay time. My end stats were 34 alerts, 203 kills. I tried to use the mk22 all the way though, putting enemies to sleep with the silencer, especially the first couple acts to make it a little easier.

Please do not take this time out of context.

If I were to make a guess at actual gameplay versus cut scenes, I'd say 40% gameplay 60% video, your first time through. Again, just a guess. Time yourself or ask a friend who actually timed it the first time through to get a better estimate of the ratio. But in no way do the times reflect the quality of this game. Please remember that and save your judgments until you experience it yourself.

Hope that helps! : )

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
    NickelNine

They still kind of follow that formula. They will mix in a little repeat of past events from prior games, whats happened so far in the game, how to do a certain task, and new story progression talk. I guess there is quite a bit retelling of the story, especially the whole Snake Eater story line, to help you through and tie the story together. But the railgun is talked about ; )

xyris93

xyris93 Well-Known Member

i really like the camoflauge thing. thats cool :p

lpkornfan22

Im at Act 3
    almost towards the end
    all of the bosses give me grief
    it takes me about 4 tries for each :rolleyes:

Trumtram

Trumtram Well-Known Member

this game has the best boss fights i've ever had, probably.

the longest cutscene i can recall is the end with credits and stuff. if you take the last fight as an interactive cutscene it can reach the 90 minutes, but there is not one single cutscene that is 90 minutes long.

my major problem was to follow the plot. man, this story gets twisted and twisted that you dont even know where you at at times. im almost sure there are plenty of mistakes troughout the series but i wont spoil them here now, because some of you still want to play the game ;).

overall, i have to agree with nickelnine: this game is an undescribeable experience for especially every mgs fan. the gameplay gets different in almost every mission and you wont start to bore. act 4 gives me a shiver when i think back...

Dean

I just finished Act 3. It's great. It annoys me how it seems to count the amount of times you're seen in the on-rails sections and during the boss fights as alert phases though, because I'd been through each act only being seen about 10 times at the most during the normal sections and ended up with more like 20 or 30 on the stats screen at the end of each.

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

It's a brilliant game and I loved it. I really don't mind the lengthy cut scenes because it's all part of the experience and the story mode. The mission briefings were fun too, and you can even discover secrets and stuff in those, so if you can't be bothered to actually sit and watch them you can still do some fun things, haha.

I don't really want to review it, but yeah, it was brilliant and I'm still playing through it for the god knows what time now, trying to unlock all of the hidden items, haha.

Dean

I completed the story earlier.

Wow. That took me there and back.

I finished with less alerts than it seemed I would, thank god.

lpkornfan22

Makes me sad everytime I play through

Its over.
    That was a story I was always willing to follow and would make the effort to go through each little crack for anyway to help me understand better.

Makes me remember my dad and I playing through MGS1 and thinking it as the greatest game ever.

I'm sad :(

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008