Matt Bellamy is more musically talented than Trent Reznor

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Mark, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Discuss. I'll have my input tomorrow.

Cale.

Cale. Banned

His talent was almost making me want to go home before Tool at last year's big day out.

His voice just drones the way he twangs the end of every fucking line. It grates me like no other singer.

And he categorically denied being influenced by Radiohead. Which is clearly a load of tripe. They don't sound so similar anymore but their first record should've been called "Matt Bellamy & Co: A Tribute to Radiohead".

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

Does Matt write all of Muse's music? (Not saying anything, I was just wondering)

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

seriously? i'm all up for some musical debates, but these "X is more talented than Trent Reznor" threads are getting fucking stupid.

Cale.

Cale. Banned

'Tis a bit. I mean why Trent Reznor? A bit silly. But anywhere I can fire my opinion of Matt Bellamy being shite is good value.

Oh and for the record I don't think he's musically talented than Trent Reznor. His lyrics are borderline embarassing, he manages to sound like a Jeff Buckley & Thom Yorke (albeit without the depth) and still be irritating, isn't nearly as innovative or creative as Trent Reznor, isn't the sole force behind Muse and despite admitting to loving Radiohead early in his career, later claimed they had no influence at all over Muse when Showbiz is clearly a poor attempt at early Radiohead.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
    Ant

Ant Ambient

It's all a matter of perception. I never thought Reznor was the 'God figure' many here make him out to be, honestly.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

I don't think anyone here thinks Trent Reznor is a God.

Cale.

Cale. Banned

Exactly. Because nearly everyone here (almost) likes Nine Inch Nails the people who don't hold him in such high regard make up silly untruths.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Except that's just Showbiz, so obviously you're just slapping the Radiohead label on Muse because of one record.

For one thing, a band can love another band's music without having it as an influence. Matt was primarily influenced by people such as Jimi Hendrix. Trent Reznor's music, although different, unique, and sometimes incredible, is not as consistent as Muse's music. Muse's music has consistently become far more distinct and unique from other bands' music, but still improving. Yes, Showbiz wasn't the best of their albums and perhaps there was some Radiohead influence. You never know. However, Muse is not a band to simply go after Radiohead. Muse has surpassed Radiohead in so many ways (with all due respect to Radiohead).

Matt isn't the sole force behind Muse but he's a primary source of their sound. This is a man who has real musical talent. Yeah, Trent Reznor and Thom Yorke are talented too and I don't deny that, but to deny Matthew Bellamy having talent is ridiculous. You only seem to disrespect him because you don't like his voice.

As much as I love Muse, I do listen to Nine Inch Nails and I do listen to Radiohead, and I can tell you right now that Matt is up there with the likes of Trent and Thom. To deny him of his place in that league of music simply because Showbiz sounded like a poorly attempted take at a Radiohead-sounding album, and simply because you find his voice more irritating, is ridiculous and provides no justification to your criticism.

I mean, take a listen to Origin of Symmetry. That album breaks so many barriers in music that people haven't touched. It's so different in so many ways. You have Absolution which was an incredible album and Black Holes and Revelations, an album which has further pushed Muse's limits as a band. The growth between Showbiz and 'Black Holes' is incredible, and that provides more justification to Muse as a unique, growing band. Furthermore, the implication of Matt's talent in all three albums (Origin of Symmetry had songs like Plug In Baby which had amazing guitar riffs, Absolution had Stockholm Syndrome, Hysteria, as well as Butterflies and Hurricanes which is definitely the best track off of that album, and Black Holes had Knights of Cydonia which is far beyond what other bands are currently doing) is so noticeable that you really can't help but deny that he has talent.

Yes, I agree that his voice is hard to like (I love it personally, but I know of others, including yourself, who don't) and that Showbiz wasn't that great of a record, but it's not enough to deny Matt Bellamy his place as an elite musician of this age, as well as to deny his band of being one of the more musically revolutionary bands of their time, as well as one of the best live acts of their time.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

1. Trent Reznor is God
    2. Therefore Trent Reznor is infallible and immortal
    3. Trent Reznor states "God is dead, and no one cares" (TDS:Heresy)

But 2. and 3. are logically incompatible. Therefore it is clearly demonstrated that it is logically impossible for Trent Reznor to be God.

Q.E.D.

Cale.

Cale. Banned

The first time I heard Hysteria I couldn't believe it wasn't Radiohead. I wasn't much into either band at that stage but fuck me did they sound alike. It's the electro aspect as well as the vocals that got me.

I still hear Radiohead in later Muse songs though, it's just not as blatantly obvious. I know I'm not going to convice any die hards of my opinion but I stand by it. I wouldn't mind as much, but I found Matt Bellamy's comments regarding the matter embarassing to say the least.

And Muse riffs sound good, but I'm not so sure they're any more original or grounbreaking than any other alternative rock band.

Louis

Well, a lot of alternative rock bands lately (as far as what I've noticed, perhaps I'm just not that into the alt-rock scene) seem to be doing the same over and over again with their albums. Or they just sound like other rock bands.

As far as the vocals are concerned, I will agree with you that he does sound like Thom Yorke a bit. I mean, that's hard to ignore. However, the difference is that Matt's range is far wider (he goes so ridiculously high sometimes) and it's definitely got a different feel to it than that of Thom Yorke.

I personally just think it's a matter of perspective. I know you might think that they sound like Radiohead and if you do, that's okay. I've personally listened to Radiohead and feel that their isn't really a Radiohead-like presence in their music, besides the sound of Matt's voice.

One thing I'm still questioning about what you're saying, though, is that his first comment that you stated was about how he loved Radiohead. And the second comment was about how there was no Radiohead influence. Well, there's a difference between those two statements. Like I said in my previous post, love does not equal influence. So I don't think it's any bit embarrassing.

Cale.

Cale. Banned

I only found it a bit embarassing because I think there are times that Muse sound blatantly like Radiohead. It's not as if Muse have directly lifted parts of Radiohead songs, it's just songs like Creep, Anyone Can Play Guitar and Blow Out sound alot like Muse in my opinion.

When I listened to Pablo Honey or The Bends and even perhaps Hail to the Thief this became more apparent to me.

Either way, the Radiohead comparison isn't my biggest beef with Muse. It's the cat through a blender singing style that gets on my tits. After listening to a 90 minute set of what was essentially Matt Bellamy whining into a micrphone on every song, i'm content to never listen to them willingly again.

Louis

Well, even then, Creep was Radiohead's attempt at sounding Grunge, so it's not really even a legitimate, unique sound to Radiohead. And yes, there are people who can play guitar like Muse. I mean, hell, I don't even know if Matt Bellamy would be able to play something like, for example, 'Through the Fire and Flames' (my brother and I have been wondering this for a while). However, if you take a look at how Muse has incorporated it with orchestral and synthetic elements to form a different brand of music, then that's where Muse has a justifiable uniqueness about them.

As far as his voice and such...well, to each his own, I suppose.

Cale.

Cale. Banned

The synthetic/orchestral elements are my further gripe though. It's though their evolutions are exactly the same as Radiohead. Showbiz to Origin of Symmetry's evolution involves similar artistic venture that Radiohead went through with The Bends through to Hail to the Thief and everything in between.

Songs like Space Dementia have Radiohead written all over them. Micro Cuts sounds like someone is playing a piss-poor Radiohead demo through a shit sound system. To me it just seems they got all artsy for the sake of it. A bit like Kid A in that respect, but not as original.

I know it sounds like i'm nit-picking and being unfair, but I just really, really, really hate Muse and can't get over how much they sound like a poor imitation of Radiohead to me. I'm not the right person to argue this topic with.

Peace, Louis.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Define musical talent.
    Are we talking technical skill or songwriting skill?

Cale.

Cale. Banned

It's basically just Muse vs NIN with a flashy title.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

In that case..
    Muse are an interesting alternate rock band, but in the end, they aren't any more special than a band like, Silverchair, for example. They do some pretty interesting stuff too.

On the other hand, who can you compare to NIN?
    They're one of the most original acts I can think of.

To me, this says that Trent is more talented, as he's coming up with more original works.
    Not to say that Muse isn't original, just not as original as NIN.

Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

You could always bring up an argument like:

Matt writes guitar riffs and synth parts etc.

vs

Trent waves his arm around a theremin?

I wonder how much of an argument that comment will generate...

Cale.

Cale. Banned

Ok, It's not actually true though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.