Throwback Mike

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by kev_, Mar 24, 2008.

kev_

kev_ Well-Known Member

I was watching some old videos of LP playing and is it just me or does Mike seem to lip sync into his mic during lots of Chester's parts? Either that or his mic is turned way way down in the mixes but I'm pretty sure he's just mouthing along cause his mouth movements are way exaggerated. Just noticed this and it seemed strange to me. Anyone else notice this?

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Can you point out some specific examples? Mike sang a lot more backing vocals pre-Meteora than a lot of people tend to think he did.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Chester's vocals used to be even more powerful than they are today, so Mike's background vocals would get drowned out a lot, too.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Even more than today, which may seem impossible, but true. :lol:

thesungoesdown

thesungoesdown It's like I'm paranoid..

Not really, for studio songs with hybrid theory and meteora they added a lot of elements in the background during his screams to make it sound more powerful then it actually is. His screaming on minutes seems a bit toned down only due to the music being more stripped down and raw.

As for live performances, the set lists are longer and he's performing more and more songs with intense breakdowns, so he has to conserve his voice any way he can so he opts to not scream as muchand as hard. Try touring months at a time and screaming your heart out each show. it's just not wise in the long run.

his voice being less powerful is more due to the music being more stripped down and raw , and chester choosing not to scream as much.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
    Will

You do realize we're talking about live performances right?

Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

Also, from what I've gathered from a large amount of screaming vocalists, you're not meant to scream with emotion because it'll ruin your vocal chords. If you scream with the proper technique, you should be able to do it repeatedly without damaging yourself.

Iain

Iain i am a sloth LPA Super Member

It does look like Mike is just mouthing along most of the time, but if you really listen, like during the one concert in New York (I forget what it was called, it was released in theaters though), and during Live In Texas, you can hear the difference between his voice, and Chester's. Plus, if you actually look at his throat (creepy, but do it), you can see that he is indeed singing. It's just that he sings WAY quieter than Chester.

Epic921

Epic921 Banned

Mike can be heard in a lot of MTM songs too. Especially during songs like Valentine's Day during ''A black wind took you away'' and ''Another darkness overdayed'', stuff like that. No More Sorrow too during the chorus, and during the breakdown in BIO. Also in WID at the end. :lol:

Fleur de Lys

Fleur de Lys Well-Known Member

I don't know about this. But I've thought about making a thread about something else with Mike:

Is Mike's guitar TURNED DOWN douing From The Inside?! Brad and Mike are playing the same chords in the all the choruses right? Have you noticed how hard he is hitting those strings douing that song? Have you noticed it like he beats the crap out of ALL six strings and not just the three lower strings sometimes in that song? He just bassicly beats the crap out of the guitar in that song man.

I'm a bit worried that he is actually faking it beacuse: Look at this video. He beats the crap out of the guitar again right? Look at mike at 1:30. He is telling somebody out there something, stops playing his music. Hear any difference? No.

OOOR. That could actually be why he does it, cause his guitar isn't loud enough. I don't know, I just think he plays this song in a different way than the others, like it dosn't matter if he hits the wrong chords (even though it's easy to play).

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik0FQsWj_a4

EDIT: Ups sorry. I just listined very closely in that first chorus. It's his guitar that has this high pitched gain on (or however you describe it). You can hear that "rawr" sound disapearing when he dosn't play at 1:30 and coming back again right after.

Sorry for my blasphemy.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
    Will

Exactly. I mean, I've never had any vocal training, but last summer I screamed for an hour to an hour and a half daily for about two months and never had any problems. As long as you're doing it right, you're fine. So that's really no excuse. Plus he doesn't even scream all that much compared to other bands.

Iain

Mike plays the rhythm guitar most of the time. Brad's lead. As such, Mike plays higher stuff when Brad plays lower stuff to balance things out. Hence why he's hitting all 6 strings, if he indeed is. That's why I plan on having two guitarists in my band.

Minus

There are songs where if Mike isn't playing, there'd be a pretty stripped sound. TLTGYA for example, and WID especially. Meteora and HT, his rhythm guitar parts seem to be pretty simple and follow Brad's parts. In MTM his parts look to stand out more on their own.

Fleur de Lys

Fleur de Lys Well-Known Member

Haha I didn't mean ALL songs at all. I'm playing guitar myself, I know all about it.

I just meant FROM THE INSIDE and I realized I were wrong. Do you guys think he is telling them to turn his amps up at 1:30? Why in the middle of a chorus, dosn't make sense.

Iain

Maybe he realized they were too quiet, if that's what he's doing. Or maybe that's how it goes during live shows.

kev_

kev_ Well-Known Member

I seem to remember and one live at rock am ring 01 and in the end live at the rock and roll hall of fame. How I remember those I don't know

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Mike and Chester both always sang the chorus in unison when they did And One live, and sometimes in 2001 Mike would sing the last chorus of In the End an octave below Chester.

Iain

What cracked me up was during Papercut, the Live In Texas version, you can hear Mike going higher than Chester. I had to listen over and over, and then I finally realized, no it wasn't Chester. It was Mike. :lol:

Minus

Which part of the song? :lol:

Iain

Towards the end, during the bridge part. I still could very well be wrong, but Chester actually sounded deeper than Mike.