Have fun with your boring forum.

Discussion in 'Feedback & FAQ' started by Cale., Mar 24, 2008.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Point taken on the Harlz thread, that's all I can say. You're right.

The Casey thread was all in good fun and we allowed it to go on just to show you guys that the staff could be lenient, but now we've realized that one pointless thread leads to two threads, leads to three threads, and soon it's unmanageable. It had to start somewhere, and that was with the Harlz thread. Sorry if it looks like I was outing someone.

I can close the Casey thread if it appeases you but no one has posted in it for a few weeks.

Daniel

Daniel Run for your life. LPA Super Member

Point taken Mark, I'll drop it now.

Thanks for listening. I'm also sorry if I came across as immature.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

No we aren't asking for anything else to be closed :lol:

Cale.

Cale. Banned

You can make a case for any thread being pointless.

It really wouldn't. It's not about having your own thread. It's about discussing some that's half entertaining.

Random Thoughts is like a badly behaved classroom. Attempting to talk about something with people talking over the top of you.
    I've had this discussion before about Random Chat being a snooze-fest. I've tried to liven it up. But postwhores anonymous comes screaming back to word associate or choose what they like more, A piece of ham or a blowjob.

But thankyou for your reply.

Mark

Sure, everything could be put into RT.

Somebody posting a video about a cool guitar is pointing about a specific subject that others can talk about without wading through posts in RT.

But what is the purpose of making a thread about your love live, when it was already previously being discussed in RT? Furthermore, the subject seems to be only for the benefit of discussion of 3-4 people, and wouldn't foster much, if any, discussion from anybody else. But then again maybe I'm wrong about the number of people who want to discuss that topic. :p

Cale.

Cale. Banned

Unmanageable? This forum's activity is nothing compared to others. If this is all for the sake of making the forum easy to moderate then I'll say now I've lost hope.

The Casey thread had no bearing on what i posted. It was of my own impulse.

Mark

The Casey thread was brought up by Daniel to justify your Harlz thread, but we've come to an understanding on this amongst ourselves.

Harlz

Kramer, Penny, Phantom Duck (sorry I forgot who you are), Wild Angel, Grey Incubus, and Evan, would never have seen that discusion otherwise. It seemed to interest them, even as a joke (which the whole thread obviously was)

If the thread isn't offensive, and doesn't break any rules, let it run it's course. When it becomes unpopular it'll just disappear.

And no, I don't want to set a precedent for more threads about me :lol:

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

Cale, if you have such a problem with these forums, why are you even here? You apparently go to more active forums so why not just invite your Australian friends from here to there and talk to them there and make all the pointless threads you want, without having to complain about them being closed?

I'm not saying this because I hate you or anything, I'm just trying to figure it out. You obviously don't have fun here...so why? What's keeping you here?

Cale.

Cale. Banned

I do enjoy myself.

I just see a major enjoyment blockade stopping the forum from being more entertaining. And from existing outside of one thread.

Harlz

You know it's nothing to do with us all being Aussie, its just that we're online at the same time. All the time.

Cale.

Cale. Banned

But what's the point of closing it?

I hate blowing my own trumpet but people weren't exactly booing and hissing, calling for its head. It got a few laughs, had potential for a bit of banter.

Until it was cut off.

Daniel

Daniel Run for your life. LPA Super Member

Yeah, I agree. It's not like us Australians specifically want to start a war on the LPA, it's just we happen to be online at the same time. Like with the whole Kev deal earlier, it's not like that all started because the Americans on here decided to start shit. So please, don't generalise Mark (as in Sylar Mark, lol). :)

Cale.

Cale. Banned

One man's pointless is another's best thread of all time.

Mark

You've done well of late with threads like the aforementioned "How much would it take" and "One signature per page" threads, just off the top of my head. It's just that those two other threads were deemed pointless.

There's a difference between making a thread for random discussion and making a thread about a random subject that can be discussed. Therein lies the difference. I hope that makes sense, because it's 6:32am here and I'm tired.

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

Hey, let's not start comparing forums. Every forum is different. And I'd like to think I do a pretty good job for someone in my position, personally. I'm a very busy guy and although I'd like to make much more time for LPA like I have in the past, I do my best to still be here, do my job and listen to the community despite what I have to do outside of LPA. I'd like to keep up with the latest going on around the LPA water coolers but unfortunately it doesn't fit into my schedule. Yet here I am trying to wrap my head around what the community wants.

If it's entertainment you're looking for, I don't see how threads devoted to one person in particular is a considerable example of entertainment... unless it's about an entertainer. Anything else is just an extended discussion on a random topic--this topic just so happens to be about user A or user B. Someone such as myself, who doesn't know user A or B personally wouldn't see the use for the thread. I'm speaking from a personal point of view and how I would perceive the thread. Even if it were someone I knew better, I'd still question why he or she has his or her own thread.

Harlz

:blink:

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I think the main problem is this: On almost any other forum to which one can go, there isn't a central "random thoughts" thread; there are dozens of threads created every day based on something any one person may want to talk about, whether or not that discussion involves thirty people, three people or no people at all, with no regard to even how long the discussion may or may not last.

Here, though, there is a central thread, so it feels like the admins use that as an excuse to get rid of threads that would just seem to "clutter" the forums, and they tell the users to just keep all their "random ideas" in "Random Thoughts," where half the people of the world won't even see what they wanted to talk about with which to begin. It sort of (read: totally) defeats the purpose.

I'll admit I'm being sort of hypocritical since I was an admin here several years ago and I did my fair share of thread-closing since that was part of my job, but I feel it's gotten sort of out of hand lately. It's lame when we get made fun of for having 10,000 posts in a "Random Thoughts" thread, yet we get yelled at when we make a new thread to try to have a genuine discussion about sitting on the edge of a giant Simba Cliff. It's stupid, and I think it's got to stop.

Let us make our threads and have our discussions, whether 10 people discuss it and it lasts for a month, or two people discuss it and it lasts two hours.

Harlz

Thank you, so much for bothering to type that out.

Mark

It doesn't defeat the purpose because this way the worthwhile threads last longer and the pointless discussion can be buried in RT. It's much more manageable this way and leads to a better laid out, and more quality-oriented, forum.

The Simba Cliff thing was used as an example of a good thread for discussion. ;)