More Impt: Tell us what you think

Discussion in 'Feedback & FAQ' started by Omar, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

If you're offended by someone saying 'God' or 'Jesus' or whatever with a swearword added on to it you probably shouldn't be using the internet. Using 'gay' or 'retarded' in such a way is closer to being a personal attack at least, even if it isn't meant as one.

2. Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

If you're offended by gay and retarded you shouldnt be using the internet either, alot of boards allow it.

3. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I wasn't saying it should be banned before the other stuff, just that I think it would make more sense for someone to be offended by it. I think it's fair to say that using 'gay' or 'retarded' or whatever as a synonym for something bad is closer to being offensive on a personal level, whereas nobody here is God or Jesus last time I checked.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  4. Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

Last time I checked, nobody is retarted or gay whereas people can be religious.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  5. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

A lot of boards that seem not to care about immaturity.

Perhaps the whole moderating staff should stop using the internet in that case. It's a universal belief on all of our parts that those things should not be allowed to be said.

Running a campaign to get the usage of "gay" or "retarded" accepted on these forums will never be successful, so even discussing it is fruitless. There's far more important things we're trying to get input on.

6. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I agree with Mark. I've helped out people with down syndrome and I get so tired of hearing people use the word retarded in a negative fashion because I feel it is so inexcusable. Deal with those kids and see how much they struggle, and then come back and tell me if you still are comfortable using retarded in a negative fashion.

Plain and simple: we will never allow either of the two words to be used on here.

7. El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Well you obviously you didn't understand the point. It's not about allowing the usage of gay and retarded but about not allowing the things that can offend religious people.

Or maybe this board doesn't care about religion.

8. Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

People choose to be religious but people are born with down syndrome. They don't CHOOSE to be that way.

9. Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Using the phrase "that's gay/retarded" is so like...junior high school. It's a rather juvenile way of speaking regardless of how offensive saying the phrase can be, and I'd like to think people on here are above that. And it's not like we ever said you aren't allowed to call something stupid, dumb, pointless, lame, weak, etc...there's a bunch of other adjectives with negative connotations that you can use around here at will.

We do care about religion, the thing is...using "retarded" in a derogatory manner is a lot more specific than "Goddammit" or "Jesus Christ" is. Jesus and God are central to a bunch of various reglions, so it's not like those expressions are specifically offensive to one particular group. We don't put up with people insulting religion, I mean we just banned silve2 a few days ago for pretending to give a Nazi salute and thinking it was funny. "Goddammit" and "Jesus Christ" just aren't specifically tied to one group, so it'd be kind of silly on our part to give infractions for them.

Another thing, it's not like we're going to give infractions for anything that anyone can find offensive, because people will take offense to just about anything. Dusan, we got a complaint about your signature the other day, but we didn't do anything about it because it's just you making a political statement that you believe in. I'm sure a bunch of people have been offended by things that have been said in the U.S. Presidential Election thread, but it's not our place to issue infractions just because a Republican took offense to a Democrat expressing their views, or vice versa.

10. El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Yeah, ok, fair enough. It was just a proposal, you guys turned it down and that's it, no big deal.

And about the person that complained about my sig.. they can always ask me if they want to learn anything about my country before they start making random complaints :)

11. Mark

I was referring to Chris' challenging of the usage of those two words, not your complaint.

12. Cale.

Cale. Banned

What's the stance on spastic, mong and spacker?

13. Mark

Stop trying to stir shit up, Cale. Consider this a warning.

Those are synonyms, of course they count. Just like "fag" or "homo" are obviously warnable as well.

If we listed every slang word for the two, the rule itself would be paragraphs long. It's most useful to point out the most frequently used words and hope people aren't stupid enough to search out synonyms on urban dictionary to bypass the rules.

14. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Official response to Cale:

If the slang means retarded or gay to anybody, it's not allowed here. We have a strict no tolerance policy for racist, homophobic or otherwise disrespectful language on these forums. That is one rule we will not be lenient on and will be enforcing with an iron fist.

So basically: if you're trying to find a way around the rule, it doesn't exist.

15. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

This is something for another thread but I've never, ever heard of a gay person (and I know several) who were "influenced" by people around them. One of my friends who is gay has never had a gay friend or even so much as been around a gay person for longer than maybe 20 minutes (an exaggeration, but that's why he tried committing suicide several summers ago, because there are so few un-taken gay men around here) and he is always around straight people. I fail to see how he was influenced to be gay by a bunch of straight people. It makes no sense. Just because you don't realize you're gay until later in life doesn't mean you "chose" to be gay or you were "influenced" to be gay. That makes no sense at all. You usually realize right as you're maturing sexually. Obviously some people know right away. He didn't. He went out with a girl for six months and couldn't figure out why he wasn't attracted to her at all (or any girl, really) until he eventually figured out that he's gay. Obviously there ARE instances where people are HIGHLY influenced, but that number is so small compared to the actual number of people who just sort of find out that they're gay either through experimentation or already knowing based on their own sexual preferences. Scientifically it has to do with an imbalance of hormones that can't be corrected (although there CAN TECHNICALLY be a "cure" for homosexuality). You can't really CHOOSE or be influenced to have a chemical imbalance. It's like saying you chose to have cancer. It just makes no sense. It's also like saying that lion banging the other dude lion chose that. I doubt it. They're not capable of higher thought like humans are.

But like I said. A discussion for another thread.

Sorry.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  16. Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

Wait, what? Nobody is retarded or gay? :lol:

17. Cale.

Cale. Banned

Are you trying to tell us something, oh Sylar?

(I think he meant on this forum, by the way [I tried to say Id be there... waiting for])

18. Chris.

Well I might be both, but last time I checked Im not.

19. Cale.

Cale. Banned

Well, I'm not about to go accusing you. That is against the rules!

I've learnt such a lesson today. Turning over new leaves are great.

20. Chris.

:lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.