Plaster Vs One Step Closer: Differences

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Jesse, Feb 12, 2008.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Plaster Vs. One Step Closer

Okay some of you may be asking, so how is this any different than One Step Closer besides the camera shutter at the very beginning and the samples of the bridge? Well the truth is, there's a little more. You just have to pay really close attention. I've composed a list, it may not be 100% accurate but it's what I hear in the song.

1. There is 7.034 seconds of barely audible static before the song begins

2. Knocking sound In One Step Closer Starts at about 8 seconds into the song while it begins in Plaster at about 2 seconds in.

3. The knocking sound at the very beginning is more noticeable and is less spaced out, like a constant tapping

4. The intro features lyrics originally found in the bridge such as “Shut up, shut up when I'm talking to you”

5. At about 17 seconds in there is a echo like sample kind of like a drone of some kind, or bees

6. At around 18 seconds there is a sample of a Camera Shutter effect

7 . (.5)The volume is increased slightly over on one of the backing vocal tracks of the line "Takes me one step closer to the edge and I'm about to break" Pitched is also increased, you can barely tell.

8. The Drums seem more there if you know what I mean, also so is the Bass

9. Theres more echo effects you have to really listen to it

10. You can hear the Camera Shutter Effect throughout the song, only if you listen VERY closely

11. There's Chester's vocal in the background but you can't really make out what he's saying

12. In Plaster after the last line of “I'm about to break”, there is no sound related to the song what so ever. while in One Step Closer after the exact line there is a squeaky echo

13. In Plaster during the last line of “I'm about to break”, there are barely audible samples of the word “Break”

14. After the song there is about 4.89 seconds of barely audible static

15. (1) Between 1:01 and 1:03, right after the first chorus ends, there's a sequence of beeps in descending pitch.

16. (2) The last 8 cymbal crashes at the end of the last chorus (2:38) are done on a much trashier-sounding china cymbal than they are on the album.

17. (3) The drum beat during the "shut up" bridge has one less snare drum hit per measure than the album version (the missing snare hit is between the 2nd and 3rd beats of each measure).

These are the most noticeable differences between the song Plaster and One Step Closer

(.5) Provided by Willstar
    (1) Provided by GigaScythe
    (2)(3) Provided by Dr. Octagonapus

Let me know if you find any errors in this list or would like to add anything.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
    GigaScythe

GigaScythe Well-Known Member

Good list. Also;

Between 1:01 and 1:03, right after the first chorus ends, there's a sequence of beeps (more like boops :p) in descending pitch. Don't think they're in the final One Step Closer. They're really quiet so you have to listen carefully.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

-The last 8 cymbal crashes at the end of the last chorus (2:38) are done on a much trashier-sounding china cymbal than they are on the album.

-The drum beat during the "shut up" bridge has one less snare drum hit per measure than the album version (the missing snare hit is between the 2nd and 3rd beats of each measure).

Also, the "static" at the beginning and end isn't really a difference, it's just gaps of silence that happen to be at the beginning and end on the acetate CD-R. The Hybrid Theory demo tracks were all like this as well, except they all usually had maybe 2 seconds of silence at the start and end of each track.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2008
    Jesse

Okay, thanks for the additions. I updated the info and gave credit. If it's okay by you. If not. I'll unedit.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I'd like to point out that Mike has never done back-up vocals in the chorus of "One Step Closer." It's all Chester, with his vocals layered.

Jesse

Is that so? I thought I was positive that I heard mike also screaming in Plaster.. I must be wrong. But there is a difference in that line, I can tell. Guess it's not mike then but owell. Thanks :)

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

It's definitely not Mike. It's Chester screaming at two different pitches, from what I can tell. If Mike recorded those vocals, he'd have at least screamed them sometimes live, but he never has -- he just "raps" those lines. The only reason it shows Mike screaming them in the video is because Chester can't be singing/screaming two parts at the same time.

Jesse

Ah, I see. So they must of turned the volume up slightly over on one of the backing vocal tracks. And I've only seen the OSC demo a few times, so I'd forgotten that it'd had showed him rapping. Thanks for the info again. Time to update.

B7rent

B7rent Guest

is it just me but at the beginning, about the first 30 seconds of the song you hear a camera snapshot sound in the background every few seconds???

Jesse

Do you ever read the treads before you post in them? Seriously. Go back to the top. Read. Then Post.

projektmeteora

projektmeteora Banned

I think that the scratching parts during the bridge are on a slightly lower volume than the original OSC cut (the one on HT)

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

i noticed that. :)

all in all, i really do like "plaster" better than "one step closer" but they both have their merits.

projektmeteora

projektmeteora Banned

i agree with you dude
    for some reasons, plaster is a lot better....
    personally what i like about plaster is the heavier and louder bass track...

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

i really dig the little pause in the intro, really makes the song for me. ;)

erasethepain

erasethepain Well-Known Member

they arent much different, really. its nice listenning to a song this is a band possibly at the top of their game before they were signed.