Shadow of the Day Video Premiere

Discussion in 'News' started by Astat, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

It might not have anything to do with it. I don't think videos have to though.
    I'm not sure that OSC, FTI, or In the End had anything to do with the songs either. I think the juxtaposition of a slow song and a action filled video is intriguing, though.

2. Xenogenesis

Xenogenesis Well-Known Member

Its a little odd video... But I definitely enjoy it over Bleed It Out. A huge improvement and a different direction; visual wise aside from the theme and concept similarities with From The Inside.

3. INK12Many

INK12Many Well-Known Member

i agree with you here, although the sounds are too loud, it does make the video seem more powerful with the sounds. but sometimes after viewing it, you get annoyed by it, so I just did the vid for those who dont like the sounds. I prefer it without sounds but i know from time to time i will prefer the whole deal.
    maybe if it was lowered the background everyone would be happiessshh.:mellow:

sorry i totally forgot that i posted this already.
    sorry for annoying you with your quote on my reply :eek:

4. mis

mis Well-Known Member

I think its a good video. I'm bored of watching vidoes where the band plays and there not much else to it. I think the sound effects make it seem more real or like a movie. Joe did a really good job, it shows another side cause its different from all their other MTM videos.

5. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Well-Known Member

why chester is shaving near midnight we may never know, perhaps he is doing a night shift at his job. He is just walking, completely ignoring what is around, just doing his daily life. It seems that LP is tapping into that unexpected realm they are trying to prove to music video watchers. This is something you would never expect. Of course there were Ghost of You and September videos that went into that realm a bit - this one goes leagues beyond them. A great video that taps into originality. If adults hear this on the radio they will love it but when they see the video they will be blown away. Teenagers are so comfortable with violence they see it all the time, but in the pool of fall out boy, avril or britney spears music videos it is completely unexpected. LP takes a leap of faith a risk in this video. Taking risks is what linkin park is all about.

6. Arhaz

Arhaz ...waiting. LPA Super Member

it's so different seeing chester alone throughtout...and in really short shorts... :lol:
    i could say...interesting...

7. Caitlin

Caitlin Guest

Yeah. Unimpressed.

I'm gonna go ahead and post what I put on the other site:

Honestly, the whole 90 seconds+ of Chester walking around half naked, shaving, [what the shit?] or otherwise standing around morosely doesn't really encourage me to take this video seriously. I kept expecting some guy with a megaphone to run out shouting "CUT! CUT!" during the entire time Chester was wandering around outside. And the background noise--however intentional-- didn't help to enhance the video. At all.

Whatever. My two cents.
    5/10

8. Xenogenesis

Touche.

9. Jammist

Jammist Well-Known Member

I watched the video a few more times, I like it more than I did at first. However, I feel like it had the potential to have been so much better than it turned out. I understand people like the sound fx because it supposedly makes the video more immersive. I think its annoying though when the sfx are louder than the actual track, preventing me from hearing the music. Some of the sound effects didn't need to be played over and over again either. The guns firing once was enough to convey the message...but they repeated multiple times.

Still, it is a pretty decent video that looks like it had a good amount of effort put into it.

10. My Violent Heart

My Violent Heart Transmissions echoing away.

So, here's my breakdown of the video.

The beginning with Chester basically completely reminded me of the opening from I. Robot (and I see derek has seen the same). I don't understand why people would bash that scene like that. This video is just trying to interpert reality and mix it with the song as smooth as possible. It's why Chester wakes up in that gig and we hear those noises in the background, the way I see it.

Suddenly, as chester walked outside and all hell raged on, i was reminded of Wake Me Up When September ends. Both had sound effects in the background and it touched me in a way with its realism. I actually liked the concept of the singer walking through the fight better than that of a video with the scene switching from band to fight constantly.

And seriously, I don't understand how a semi-nude Chester can make this video any less serious.
    This is the most realistic and by far one of the best videos Linkin Park has ever made.

11. Xenogenesis

Yeah it is the most realistic (or one of the most) out of every single other videos they made. Here's a list of examples:

Hybrid Theory

One Step Closer: Uber ninjas and Chester standing upside down on the celing! :lol:
    Crawling: Crystallized environment as if you were in a diamond
    Papercut: Mutating faces!
    In The End: Flying whales ftw

Meteora

Somewhere I Belong: Maybe one of the most craziest videos made by the band. I mean, mystical monsters appearing and environment having a giant Gundam model being at the back where the band is playing.
    Faint: There's so many lights that it just makes you blind. Not to mention that there is more than enough lights realistically. >_<
    Numb: Not much to say here neither, just some special effects and fast forwarding.
    From The Inside: Super sayien kid!
    Breaking The Habit: Rewinding the past is great but... Eh. Animation is good but just not "realistic".

Not going to even include Minutes To Midnight. The band might have tone down on their "creativity" but that was fueled by insane and innovative teenager/inmature content. It just; you know, doesn't fit the band anymore. They're all adults now.

12. mcpancakes

mcpancakes Well-Known Member

yeah I'm not impressed with it at all. as much as I love to seen Chester shave and eat TV dinners while being disappointed with the world today. my favorite LP videos are probably Somewhere I Belong and Breaking the Habit, most others are pretty much failures (I'm not that into the "What I've Done", maybe I'm not deep like everybody else)

13. arbaks

arbaks Well-Known Member

why did they hire Bono to act in the video???

14. dragon ninja

dragon ninja Well-Known Member

Yawn. Boring. I feel like I wasted 4 minutes, to be honest.

15. My Violent Heart

My Violent Heart Transmissions echoing away.

...Que?

16. blueeye

blueeye Well-Known Member

I really like the concept of this video.
    Chester`s waking up at 11:55, washing, shaving, eating, watching tv etc. and then going out into the war zone. It is like he is doing the normal everyday things without noticing what is going on outside (metaphor of todays world?). Also I find the contrast between calm-singing Chester and chaos around him interesting.

17. thesungoesdown

thesungoesdown It's like I'm paranoid..

So yeah I was hearing the song on my Ipod the other day and I guess a little theory just came to me about the video:

Is Chester essentially commiting suicide?

He wakes up at 11:55 at night, has his "last" dinner ( well sorta), washes up his "last" time, then heads out into the midst of Chaos where police are seemingly shooting people dead. With lines like :

"In cards and flowers on your window,
    Your friends all plead for you to stay.
    Sometimes beginnings aren’t so simple.
    Sometimes goodbye’s the only way"

AND that look of disgust , maybe with the world? Or maybe its just a metaphor for things going on in his head? Because hes seemingly walking a few blocks unharmed then at the very end just stops and soaks it all in, then he turns around with a look of DISGUST with his surroundings and the song ends at midnight, doomsday clock, END of the world and in this case for him?

Anyway, thats just a few observatins and a theory I came up with. I'm sure a lot of people have thought this...

18. Fear

Fear Well-Known Member

When will the video be available on iTunes.

19. Jalie

Jalie Antebellum Cecity

I really like your theory! I just doubt that something that deep and quiet intelligent could be a concept for a music video that wants to be played on MTV :p The viewer can't just consume the video, he has to think. But perhaps that's waht Mr. Hahn intented and you're right in the end...

20. thesungoesdown

thesungoesdown It's like I'm paranoid..

Don't underestimate LP ;) How many of you guys initially caught Chester's clock being set to 11:55 and connected it with the album title and the doomsday reference. If you caught the video on the link provided by LPA in the news section, Chester commented that the song was written about losing somebody in DEATH, so if you add everything up from the clock/doomsday scenario, the war-zone outside, etc etc Maybe there are multiple messages going around and there was a purpose for Chester being the only member in the video. I might be way off, but hey at least an LP video has me thinking a lot, thats a sign of a GOOD video. Thumbs up LP :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.