Xbox 360 or Wii?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Debus, Aug 28, 2007.

Debus

Debus Morbid Fascination LPA Addict

Okay, I am currently torn. I really do need a new console. I don't have any of the next gen ones that have come out, and I am feeling deprived. I need to decide between two. 360 or a Wii?

The kind of games I like are FPS', RPG's and Fighters. I think the majority of FPS' are on the 360, with the odd RPG. And there doesn't seem to be an awful lot out on the Wii at the moment that fits into that at all, aside from possibly Red Steel, Zelda and maybe Resident Evil.

I'm not sure about the 360. I really want one, but i've heard such bad stories about them. My friend is on his third 360 since they were released, and i've heard so many stories about them just packing in. I don't want to buy a console just for it to break or melt on me. Does anyone have praise enough for the 360 to give me enough confidence to buy one? I've also heard that the Elites aren't much better. This console has more games that appeal to me, but if it's just going to break...

However, I really want a Wii, but the fact that theres like...nothing out for it puts me off spending £175 right now. I know there are a few games coming out that i'll want (My Sims, Soulcalibur Legends) and already one game that I desperately want (Zelda), but I can't justify spending £175 purely for that. I'm also a little afraid that the novelty factor might play a part in my decision on whether to get one or not. Any high praise for the Wii?

I'm really torn over what to get. The PS3 is right out, as I don't have £400 to spend on a damn console, plus again, theres nothing out on it. But both the consoles I do want have some serious negative aspects in my opinion. Help? D:

Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

I'd go with 360 if your a hardcore gamer and love good games

the Wii is just for fun and personally i take button mashing over integrated crappy point at the screen gameplay any day

my opinion stated but it just depends on what your style of gaming is

and my 360 has never broken BTW, i heard Microsoft set aside some millions of dollars so that if yours breaks theyl replace it for free but thats just a rumor i heard

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Not all 360s break down. I had my first for a year before it did, and I know people who've hade one for longer without it breaking at all yet.
    I'd say that first, then the same as what I told Hundiraev about the Wii. Wait until Nintendo release more games because right now it's basically Twilight Princess, Eledees, a load of minigame collections and a load of ports with lightgun-type controls tacked on.

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

And Metroid Prime 3. But Dean doesn't care about that. :lol:

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

The novelty of the Wii wore off after about 10 minutes for me when I was playing my brother's. I was getting a decent workout, then I realized that when I'm playing games, I want to sit back, relax and not have to separate my lazy ass from the couch, and I proceeded to shut off the Wii and go play my 360 :lol:

Dean

It's not out in Europe yet :p

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Most of the bad stories you hear about the 360 are concerning the ones that were bought around its launch. New consoles historically have bugs associated with them from the launch date (PS2: Laser, Xbox/Xbox 360: Overheating). That's the reason you don't buy a new console on the launch date. Now that the new versions of the consoles are out, there is nothing to worry about. I bought a 360 last November and haven't had one issue with it.

To me, there's nothing more fun that online multiplayer Halo (Halo 3 is coming out in a month). That game alone, from a FPS fan's perspective, is enough to pony up the cash for a 360.

Debus

My friend got each of his replacements for free so yeah, I think they replace them. But that's a major pain in the ass

That makes me feel a little more confident about buying one. I just don't wanna buy a 360 only for it to crap out on me, when I could have bought a Wii for the same price and for it to be fine.

The FPS'/Shooters are what appeal to me the most (Condemned, Gears Of War etc)

Nick

Gears of War.......is the best game ever...:lol:

not to mention the Xbox live Marketplace

thanks to it i have extra GH songs, a episode of South park and other various things

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
    Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

I'd say go with the 360, the Wii never really intrested me and no offence, but I think it's for little kids. :lol:

I got a 360 in June and it's awesome. The games that'll be releasing on it this year are amazing.

It has more RPG's than you'd think too, but of course there's the price tag...

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

Both systems have some good games coming out soon, so it's hard to say. The Wii is more fun for everyone and is a party console. The Xbox360 is more for hardcore gamers looking for extreme graphics and fun 1-player games (besides Halo).

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

While the 360 is definitely worth getting, it still has many problems. It isn't just the launch ones either. Much like the PS2, it has a much higher failure rate than it should. With a 3-year warranty though, it makes it more enticing to buy. I think its worth the risk.

Dean

Microsoft don't half take their time replacing them though.

Nick

well hey i still have a launch PS2 and it runs perfectly, so its really how you take care of it and what your luck is when you buy it

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Mmmhmm. The new ones still have problems, but not nearly at the same rate as those from the initial launch. That's why I said "most" of the problems. :lol:

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Hmm, they've had mine for a month now. I'm very annoyed as I have 4 new games to play on it, including Bioshock, and I have no idea when it's coming back. I've read stories of some taking upto 3 months to get repaired. I won't mind too much just as long as it's back before Halo 3 is released, but it's starting to get frustrating.

Tim

The PS2 had more to do with standard wear-and-tear from cheap parts than any fundamental flaw. The 360's problem supposedly has more to do with overheating. I dunno, the PS3 is one sturdy mo'fo, but it comes at a hell of a price. I guess if you want a well functioning console, you're going to have to pay out the ass.

Dean

My first PS2 gradually became slower until it stopped reading discs altogether after about three years. Then I bought a friend's slimline.

Tim

Yeah mine wore out in about four or so years and I just bought a slimline about a year and-a-half ago. The surgery I tried performing on it didn't help either.

Debus

I'm leaning more towards the 360 now me thinks...despite all the technical issues it has. Not that I can afford one right now anyways :lol: I just need some info. Thanks for all the replies guys =D Been really helpful.