M2M clearly not emo

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Rather Red, May 16, 2007.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

I'll give you Atreyu, but if The Used aren't 'emo', then I have no idea who are.

Xenogenesis

Xenogenesis Well-Known Member

Touchy. :lol:

Fox

Fox Love & Trolls LPA Super Member

I should say "Ouchh*

:lol:

But she's right.

If we use the word "emo" today, it means emotional and we are emotional some time..

*Props to eddie_ka*

eddie_ka

eddie_ka Member

Ty ^_^

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

This thread needs more emo cat.

[​IMG]

There. That's better.

...Lauren?

...Lauren? Sadist Sagittarius

Okay, as far as the label (fashion/subculture) part of 'emo' goes, if someone goes around calling themself emo and trying to make a point of their emo-ness, and shows people pictures of self-mutilation, then can I give them shit about being 'emo'? Seriously, since when was it cool, or 'hardcore' to be suicidal?

Anyways, I've only heard a few of the songs on M2M, but they're definitly not emo. As far as the music goes, it's very far from emo, and LPs lyrics have always been a bit emotional and 'Bleed It Out' isn't meant to be taken literally. As best I can tell M2M is modern rock, but for the most part it defies labels and definitions.

I remember some people speculating that 'Breaking The Habit' was about self-mutilation, but I don't remember anyone calling it 'emo' because of that. The reason is probably because the album came out in 2003, before the 'emo' fad really went into full swing.

EDIT: Before anyone gets all mad, I realize that being a cutter and being 'emo' ORIGINALLY weren't supposed to be the same thing, but so many stupid 14-year-olds are running around making tiny cuts for everyone to see and thinking that makes them emo. Emo was supposed to just mean 'emotional', listens to mainly emo music, and is probably artistically inclined, and didn't really have anything to do with fashion or cutting. But somewhere around 2005, a bunch of middle-schoolers started thinking it was cool to cut yourself and wear goth-rip-off clothes from Hot Topic (not that there's really anything wrong with Hot Topic in itself), and they decided to label it 'emo'. And going around cutting yourself and thinking it makes you cool pisses me off so much. If you're really suicidal, fine, I understand, but if you're just doing it to fit in with your peers, then you should just.... I don't know. Just stop showing me pictures of your bloodied razor.

Now the word is just entirely overused and annoying.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
    Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

emo is a fashion statement and a stupid one at that. If you can tell the people who wear emo from the people who wear goth fashion you must be jesus (hope i don't offend anyone).

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

This further proves that the term "emo" is way too overgeneralized. I don't agree with what you define emo, but there's probably dozens of other self-definitions from other people.

Furthermore, if you can't tell the difference between what most people call gothic and what people call emo, I'm not sure if you know what you're talking about and are basing your judgements on stereotypes, thus making you somewhat misinformed and prone to overgeneralization.

Harlz

I'd have to agree with link_in_the_park to tell the truth.
    What country are you from, link_in_the_park?

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Australia, by reading whats beside your post same as you. Maybe Emo is different down here.

Rather Red

Rather Red Well-Known Member

Dashboard Confessional, Saves the Day, Something Corporate, Rites of Spring, etc.

Harlz

Thats what I thought. Maybe we have a slightly different definition or 'emo' culture to what they have in America.

@ Rather Red: Yea, I would've put them in the same genre as The Used...
    Maybe I don't know enough about these bands or their songs to make a fair judgement though.

Gage

Gage Well-Known Member

Who cares, LP isn't going emo, period. Who here agrees it's pointless to carry on this conversation and also finds it extremely annoying that some people actually defend LP is going emo?

mmmmtastycookies

mmmmtastycookies Not black & white, only organized confusion

i think a really large description of bands being "emo" depends on how the singer sings. if you compare the actual voices of the lead singers of certain emo bands, to linkin park, you fill find a world of difference. lyrics do not make somthing emo, it is how you portray it.

Chris Luke

Chris Luke LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

You people can't be serious. Okay, besides techno and electronica, every form of music is "emotional". Besides, real "emo" music is nothing that is defined in the mainstream. The "emo" scene, which I was pretty much baptized, in wasn't about singing about your lost girl with whiney voices, it was about unity. Being in small venues with friends and not having this aggressive form that was hardcore punk music.

Yeah, I always love educating the masses on this crap. Who gives a fuck, just enjoy the damn music that is put out, stop putting labels these ludicorius labels to it and just call it rock music. The album was a dissappointment anyways, in my opinon.

Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

yup yup.
    I just got out of Middle school, freshman next year WOOT, anyway, throughout my 3 years being in middle school, some kids thought it was cool to be defined as Emo by other kids. And my school Emo is defined as wearing black clothes, chains and listen to basically any heavy music. That pisses me off because i love heavy music, and i do tend to wear black shirts because truth is, i like to stay warm. but people have called me Emo and it pisses me off, 1. because i am not a emotional train wreck, 2.(they also ASSUME if you listen to heavy music you cut yourself) i have never cut myself and i hate seeing blood

my school is all about stereotypes

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

I'd say the lyrics on this album are more silly than 'emo'. Did anyone else listen to this album and say, out loud, "Ha ha...Oooh my God..."?

Harlz

Nope. Not at all.
    On the other hand, I do listen to Somewhere I Belong, and One Step Closer now, and wonder why I ever thought they had good lyrics.

Not that I don't enjoy them.

mmmmtastycookies

mmmmtastycookies Not black & white, only organized confusion

i know right! they're old lyrics just feel dumb...i guess thats just cause im older now though

...Lauren?

...Lauren? Sadist Sagittarius

That's weird, at my school if you wear chains and listen to heavy music you are Goth. 'Emos' in my area/city usually dress kinda preppy, but weara bit more black, ( nothing with chains or anything like that) and listen to punk pop, emo, and sometimes heavier stuff like screamo/post-hardcore. Then when you call them posers they'll say something like 'if I weren't emo I wouldn't cut myself'.