M2M clearly not emo

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Rather Red, May 16, 2007.

CHW42

CHW42 Well-Known Member

Misuse of the word happens all the time, to where now anytime people want to die or cut themselves is emo. And in that case this song fits in right. When Bleed It Out becomes a single, emo will be spread all over LP by suburban white kids who watch MTV all day. It's gonna happen...you just can't help it.

BeneathYourSkin

BeneathYourSkin Well-Known Member

Excuse me, but do you ever listen to them singing the song? Who could be SMILING with something emo? I know I wouldn't be able to, and I'm pretty sure if it weren't metaphor, they would have made this song slower and sound a lot less fun. This song as a whole does NOT fit in with the emo mind-scape.

And, can you stop generalizing so much and using such definite language? You don't know the right answer any more than we do.

Importskyline22

Importskyline22 LPA VIP LPA VIP

IF it was an emo song, they wouldent be arriving at a get together at someones house (as the outro of leave out and into of bleed it out implys).

I garuntee you if they make it into a video, it will be very similar to the X-cutioners 'its goin down' video. Cause thats the vibe i get from bleed it out.

BeneathYourSkin

BeneathYourSkin Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you on all points. I actually see this video going more like the first Points of Authority video where they took live footage and put it in the mix.

Importskyline22

Importskyline22 LPA VIP LPA VIP

Haha, i just looke dup that video on youtube cause i didnt remember it, along with paper cut.....good lord..they were so young! lol

Arlene

Arlene Oh what tangled webs we weave LPA Super Member

Haha off topic, but we were watching SNL when Linkin Park were performing, and my brother came out into the living room to listen to it too (I introduced my family to LP) and when it had a close up of Chester he was like "Man, he looks old!" and I was like "Wow, he kinda does...but they still rock hard!" haha, yea yea off topic, but Importskyline22's comment about them being so young long ago made me think of that. :lol:

EagleMorph

EagleMorph Well-Known Member

Minutes to Midnight is far from emo, and I'm glad there is at least one Linkin Park fansite that recognizes that. My immune system has an all-points bulletin out on my eyes for reading the LPMB and killing brain cells from the stupidity over there.

Linkin Park has long said that they did not belong in any one genre. It's part of the reason why they wanted to do a completely different album.

Well, they've finally made an album that cannot be classified into a genre. Sure, it will be put in the rock section of music stores, but beyond that, it hits far too many genres in each song, let alone the whole album.

The only classification that this album fits into is "damn good!"

Fatal

Fatal Well-Known Member

This band is in no way emo and it never has. Your right, kids don't know what emo music really is. I feel where your coming from. I hate having to hear "Linkin Park is emo" it pains me to hear such a thing.

NoBrain2k

NoBrain2k Active Member

Thing is loads of bands are called emo these days and many of them sound nothing like each other. For that reason Linkin Park will continue to be called emo by people who don't understand.

To me they're a modern rock band. And an effin' good one at that.

Fleur de Lys

Fleur de Lys Well-Known Member

It's about freaking out on the stage and let all the anger out. By opening up his scars he means that he sings about all his past, I'm sure that's what the lyrics are intended to be like.

And I agree that the album is not emo. Only Leave Out All The Rest sounds emo but the lyrics are not.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Your kidding right?

Go listen to what is considered an 'emo' band these days (eg. The Used, Atreyu, whatever) and then try and tell me Leave Out All The Rest sounds emo.

Soft rock does not, in any way = 'emo'.

Gage

Gage Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: Thanks for helping clear this up. But, unfortunately, we'll still find some people calling Minutes to Midnight the start of Linkin Park going down the emo road. Last I knew, LP was a rock band not an emo band!

Cuidado314

Cuidado314 Well-Known Member

Yeah, and last I knew, they were atop the Modern Rock charts, not the Modern Emo Rock charts.

*Disclaimer: I mean this as a joke. I know the Modern Emo Rock charts don't exist, and I know that some people say that Emo is classified as a form of Rock. I took this into consideration with this post. I'm writing this disclaimer because I know there are people out there that just like to respond with ignorant posts just to prove someone wrong. This is to prevent that.

Once again, it's a joke. Don't take it to heart, people who enjoy listening to emo-ish music. I have no intention on offending you.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

you know, this thread should be merged with this one. :rolleyes: or vice versa, depending on whichever came first. that said, there's a post over on that thread linking to this one, so ... ah, whatever

Rather Red

Rather Red Well-Known Member

The Used infuse some emo/screamo elements into their music, but they're far from purely emo. Atreyu is post-hardcore.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

"Part Of Me" probably is the only LP song that even comes close to being called 'emo' but only in its lyrics. But even that's a long shot as its about sucide and the band wrote it about one of Mikes friends who was adicted to cutting himself.
    LP are a dark band, they've even admited it, but they are no were near becoming a band in that 'so called' genre.
    Their too good for that.

oogaly678

oogaly678 New Member

You said emo is a type of music, usually with high vocals and accoustic/clean guitars, etc....

That is exactly what linkin park has turned in to, nearly every song has that.

Here's a quote from Chester:

We're not the Grateful Dead or Pink Floyd. We're Linkin Park, and we cut all the fat out. We don't do guitar or drum solos.
    Chester Bennington

We don't do guitar solos? That thinking seemed to change for minutes to midnight, as linkin park changed from a mix of rock and hip hop to, hate to say it dude, mostly soft rock and emo, which made me not like m2m nearly as much as HT and Meteora.

Just my opinion.

Fear

Fear Well-Known Member

I don't mean to use this word on this forum, but I FUCKING hate the word emo. It's so stupid, not even how people classify music as, just how people call people ''emo'' too. I was at lunch one day in school and just because I was standing and not talking to anyone while listening to music, I was classified as emo. Very stupid. And perhaps the stupidest thing is to call LP emo at all....the word is just so....ugh!

Xenogenesis

Xenogenesis Well-Known Member

Its not emo. You don't hear lyrics saying "I hate myself and I hate you all!" (that was something similar from the Crawling demo) or "My girlfriend hates me" or extremely overdone emotional feelings.

Also Nu-Metal bands rarely have guitar solos. Originally Brad said that he didn't want to show off but because they were making a change; they took a risk to change their style. And not every track off Minutes To Midnight was soft; at least not entirely.

eddie_ka

eddie_ka Member

Oh Jesus, I ...just read the whole thread. Ahhaha.

So here's my two cents:

One: Emo IS a genre of rock music. And, while I'll be the first to admit it, yes, it does upset me that LP's being called emo, it's literally not a bad thing.. it's all in the way the word is thrown around. And yes, a couple of you already made mention of this.. but perhaps giving an example would help some of you understand.

So here's my slighly off-topic example: The word gay.
    The word gay means happy/homosexuality. And while I haven't heard the word being misused in a while, I'll have to admit that matters came to a point where I'd hear it being used as an offensive word EVERY SINGLE DAY. The word gay was being used to replace such words as stupid, dull, uninteresting, etc. (ex: omg!!!1 your sooo gay!)

My point is this: At the end of the day, the dictionary's original definition of said word remains the same, and no slang/informal form of it can change that.

The word "emo", much like the word "gay", is just, and it's sad to say, "trendy/slang/mainstream". It's overused, misused, and turning into a cliche. ..and while I haven't lost my point, I don't know how to better explain myself, but I hope you catch my drift.

:offtopic:
    TWO: Please don't look at my avatar and automatically label me "emo". If you do choose to label me so, use the word correctly. Call me an emo because I'm a true artist, because I express my thoughts visually in a tastful/conceptual form, because I'm pursuing an art education, NOT because of the way I dress.

Because, after all, the word emo comes from "emotional".. and there's nothing wrong with being a bit sensitive *tear* It would be the same as if I were to say that I'm gay... there's nothing wrong with it. Again, it's all in the way we use words.

Anyone disagree?
    If so, PM me or start a new thread somewhere else.. I have a feeling this could get off OFF topic.

I hope I didn't piss anyone off.. and that my rant gets approved. I'm kindda new here :p