Minutes To Midnight - The "Emo" Genre Dispute

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Xenogenesis, Jun 13, 2007.

Xenogenesis

Xenogenesis Well-Known Member

There were some who favoured Minutes To Midnight; others who didn't like it because it was ballad and the more softer side of Linkin Park. There were some who called Linkin Park were pop, others calling it a boy band and ultimately one entirely thing that I can't stand; that they were emo. I don't understand the concept of this whole "emo" trend and it becomes more and more annoying to see such comments on places like YouTube, which I ultimately decided not to look at comments ever again because it was full of retards leaving their shit behind for others to look at.

Originally emo originated from sort of 'hardcore punk' music but continues to loosen its definition and expand to label every bands that deem too emotional or depressing in their songs. It has began to exhaust its original genre definition and became an overused word to describe a band being too extreme, whiney or sadistic.

Due to the popular culture of the usage of this term; its relatively alright with me to some extent. I also use the word when people seem too pessimistic or negative with a jokingly affect to it. However what I cannot stand or accept such facts is that Linkin Park is being called emo; regardless if its from critics or internet idiots roaming across the depths of YouTube and elsewhere.

Now I question myself, how the heck does Minutes To Midnight seem too emo-tastic? Do you think this terminology and label really suits the album or band? Discuss or leave a comment please.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

There's no debate. LP don't write lyrics so that people who make out they have more problems then they really do can go cut themselves about it or whatever. LP write lyrics about real experiences and want people to relate to their lyrics. If a few people wanna call that emo then whatever, let them. Trust me, I hate it as much as everyone else when I hear people call some of my favourite bands emo when they're anything but emo, there's nothing we can do about it though I'm afraid. The fact is that the emo sub-culture has stained rock, punk and metal music so much so that some ignorant bastards brand just about anything that has a guitar in it emo.

Rahat

Rahat Nyeh LPA VIP

Yea I know this one really stupid dude who says eminem is emo for making lose yourself mainly because of the guitars and because he had a rock band perfrom it with him. He said something along the lines of "thats not hip hop, this genre is not supposed to have those emo guitars in there". So yea apparantly guitars are pretty fucking emo. But once someone told them tupac had a rock band support him on stage once he decided to shut up.

My ranting went sort of offtopic but yea just saying how ignorant people are now these days. I don't find anything on the album except maybe valentines day as being close to emo. Nowadays you can't put out a seriouse song without having somebody call it emo.

mmmmtastycookies

mmmmtastycookies Not black & white, only organized confusion

"emo" music doesnt even exist really. emo music is simply slow punk songs with a whiny singer. i think that emo may be a way to act or dress. but it being a genre is just dumb. theres punk and theres rock. linkin park is nowhere close to being emo in my opinion. and the fact that the definition of emo has spread so far is really really annoying. but i'll admit it, i do use the word lol

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

If you're so mad about the emo labelling, just go with what LP once said. They are not trying to be any genre, just them.

And emo is a dumb label. Shouldn't all music have emotion in it?

Oh, and watch the language Meta.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

The term emo is overgeneralized and has various (and ridiculous) meanings. It should never be used to describe anything.

This album is socially-aware, first and foremost. It's much less angsty than anything the band has done, for the band has completely toned down on the whiny lyrics. It's a tad poppy but I'm all for that considering the leaps and bounds Chester's voice has improved.

I mean, the sheer idiocy of some people calling this album "emo" for having a song named "Valentine's Day" and a chorus that says "I bleed it out". I scoff at the lack of reasoning.

Metamorphosis: Don't use "retard" or any variation of it. You've been warned.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

So true. If people wanna call this emo, then what the hell must they consider Meteora? Not that I consider anything they band has ever done to be emo in the vein of bands such as The Used. Bands who sing about false emtions (eg 'All That I've Got'), just so they can fit in with this current trend are just pathetic. LP songs are about real life, and they aren't over the top at all.

As far as Bleed It Out goes, its a metaphor, and its a fun song anyway! It was never designed to be something for 12 year old girls to sit there and cut themselves to. People need to look past the track titles, and atually really listen to what the band are saying and doing with these songs.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

did someone say "contradiction"? :rolleyes:

my contribution is this: i don't use the label at all; i truly hate it with a passion. people use it these days as a derogatory expression and that's f**king ridiculous. nobody knows what it means so they think it's okay to stick it on anything.

EDIT: just found this quote which more or less expresses what i've said;

^ word up.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
    Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

'Emo' is just todays 'nu-metal'. Any popular rock that isn't cool gets branded with it, yet there are sacred cows (eg Bright Eyes for the former, Rage Against The Machine for the latter) that the terms are never applied to even though it probably should be considering the artists that do get it. HT and Meteora would probably be labelled 'emo' if they were released now, kind of like what Harlz said. Definition-wise it's ridiculousy broad and pointless.

The_Cool_Cow

The_Cool_Cow Well-Known Member

Emo is dumb. Thats all there is to say. Its a stupid genre (and im using the term "genre" losely), and it should never be used to describe music. I really upsets me to hear that LP are being called this, and they honestly shouldnt be. No band should be. Its just stupid.

Also, this is off-topic, but it upsets me when people call MCR emo as well.

Roubin

Roubin Well-Known Member

All music have emotions. I donĀ“t understand why do we need to have a genre called Emo.

Linkin Park never had a specific genre to fit in, because they mixed many genres: rock, rap, metal and electronic.

Xenogenesis

Sorry about the language; didn't knew it was inappropriate. >_<

Also, when I first heard My Chemical Romance I thought it was emo just because I watched the video of "Helena" and a few others. But after listening to them a little more I'd consider them "hardcore" rock or punk; besides I think there's starting to be a evolution since their first album. I guess this is how the popular culture works sometimes, but now I think I'll go and listen to more MCR since Linkin Park is touring with them. They must be cool. :p

mmmmtastycookies

mmmmtastycookies Not black & white, only organized confusion

haha yeah i guess what i said is a little contradicting. but my point is that emo music is just a branch off of a form of rock, that really has no depth or anything. punk and whatever other forms of rock have this. besides lp was originally labeled under "nu-metal". they helped make that genre pretty mainstream and now i think they're helping to put an end to it. or at least start over, for now.

Fleur de Lys

Fleur de Lys Well-Known Member

Yeah, true. There has always been sad songs in rock music. And it's like all of the sudden songs have to be happy and partying! And if you sing about the bad sides of life you're a "EMO!"

You know what? There is a dark side of life. And that might be the main side of life. Why can't you write lyrics about that? What's wrong with it!? I think it's freakin' relavant.

Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Well-Known Member

enough with the fuckin genres. holy crap. Its just music.

The_Cool_Cow

The_Cool_Cow Well-Known Member

I dont agree that we should get rid of all genres, but I think that we should get rid of the stupid ones that branch off from the others. I mean you have rock music, but with rock music you also have: Metal, Punk, Alternative etc. Then you have all of the genres that branch off of those, such as Nu-Metal, Pop Punk etc. Why not just call it all Rock?

Xenogenesis

Because just calling it "Rock" would just be prominently dominated by the mainstream "Pop-Rock" since it gets the most attention from the media and its too ambiguous. There are some genres that I find stupid laying around there; like Math Metal or Power Metal. What the hell are they anyways? They seem to get little attention but meh. "Emo" definitely needs to be trashed out the window.

Also some of the other genres like "Boy Bands" or "Bubblegum Pop". They're kinda frowned upon but, it depends.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Math metal is metal with unusual time signatures and structures. As for power metal, you've unwittingly defined that already: stupid.

CHW42

CHW42 Well-Known Member

Not this again....to me LP's lyrics have always been similar. Always about their own experiences, which ends up sounding kid of emo. Good thing they're not wearing eye liners or else they would be considered emo....

Xenogenesis

Wait, are you calling me stupid or are you calling the genre stupid? >_<