Windows Vista

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by mcpancakes, Apr 2, 2007.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

It's a great desktop OS, the gaming side still needs to wait for SP1 though.

Ant

Ant Ambient

I love it in terms of functionality. There's a lot of great features, and I think it's definitely the best step Windows has taken since Windows 95 came out.

The performance still isn't there for gaming as a lot of people have said, as there's not a ton of drivers out for it yet, which is the biggest problem. ATI's released some good drivers, but nVidia's are just crap right now (in terms of Vista). I haven't had a lot of the problems other people have, though -- my performance has been pretty much on par with XP. A few FPS loss, but not much.

I haven't encountered any programs that won't run for me that I use significantly, either. I've heard some people have had compatibility problems, but it's mostly older software.

Definitely the best version of Windows I've ever used. Some kinks still need to be worked out, but that happens with all versions of Windows. If you're worried, just wait a year.

chaosblade

chaosblade Well-Known Member

I fail to see how SP1 will help gaming, As its mostly just kernel version merges form Longhorn Server (might help), And a roll up of any fixes posted on win update until that time.

Performance will get better with 3rd party driver support getting better, I believe. Nvidia and ATi, As well as companies like VIA and Creative, Still have a lot of work to do.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

So, here's my basic thoughts on Vista, summed up by a quick conversation with a coworker after we installed Vista on a machine and our mouse and keyboard weren't working:

"Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me....does Vista not support keyboards?"

Apparently, the first time you plug in a USB keyboard, Vista requires 10 minutes to load a damn driver for it. Good job MS :rolleyes:

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

My g15 worked instantly... and I didn't install with it either.

By SP1 everyone should have their proper drivers out is what I meant.

chaosblade

I know, I'm just saying.. This isn't Microsoft's fault, Really. It looks like they did all they can to get ISV\IHV's to start working early, But some companies thought they can wait and see how Vista is received before they actually do some driver and\or compatibility work.

All my hardware worked right off the bat, Besides some random USB printer that needed drivers from Lexmark (that only got released a month ago, meh).

Ant

Ant Ambient

Not sure what keyboard he was using, but mine was recognized instantly.

Todd

Standard Dell keyboard and mouse.....

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I've got a standard Dell keyboard and mouse and Vista recognized it fine.

Ant

Ant Ambient

My HP, Microsoft, Logitech and Razer were all recognized instantly. Can't speak for Dell though, so I'll just have to take your word for it.

chaosblade

It was obviously a very specific case. Too bad it effected your opinion about the OS, i guess.

Todd

No, it didn't affect my opinion. I knew it was a one-off case. But the overall crappiness of Vista...the cluttered, useless eye candy, the incompatibility with just about everything, IE7, UAC and everything else affected my opinion of it.

Ant

Ant Ambient

What compatibility problems are you having?

But I definitely agree on UAC. That feature is a pain in the ass. Luckily it's easily turned off. That was the first thing I did when I got Vista.

Todd

I personally didn't have any because I had Vista installed for about a week before trashing my Vista partition and replacing it with Ubuntu. But others I know have compatibility issues with various drivers and programs. I know at work, we can't upgrade to Vista because our Cisco phone manager software doesn't work with it....and I hope Cisco takes their time updating it, because that's the only thing stopping us from upgrading.

chaosblade

Well, I like the GUI even though its inconsistent. I don't mind UAC since i see it about once a week when i need to install something.

About software, I've had maybe one or two applications in total that didn't work right with Vista, But i guess driver support is a different matter.
    It's a bit annoying though, Companies had time since the RC builds of Vista to get their stuff working. Some companies chose to wait.. i.e. nVidia, Creative, so on.

Kilo Lee

Kilo Lee Guest

im running Vista Basic and i gotta say, not as bad as ppl make it out to be, but personally i'd stick with Win2000........ exery XP i've had was GARBAGE any kind of problem xp could produce, i probably witnessed......stick with 2000

androidkaita

androidkaita Well-Known Member

Is there a way to make it stop asking me to allow it to do stuff? its freaking annoying

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

You mean UAC [user account control]? start > run > msconfig

Vista Basic? Ouuuch.

chaosblade

I'd grab Vista Home Premium. Aero's nice.
    I've never had much issues in either 2000, XP or Vista so far. I don't really mind UAC, it only appears alot at first when you install alot of software at a row. After awhile, seeing a UAC popup here and there is really fine.

palingenesis

palingenesis Well-Known Member

having to put in a user name and password just to copy a file? thats just dumb.