M2M clearly not emo

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Rather Red, May 16, 2007.

Rather Red

Rather Red Well-Known Member

I'm sick of kids who have no idea what "emo" music even sounds like labeling M2M as "emo". There's WAY too many of these on the official message board, and I really don't want to see that on this board. People throw that term around in such an ignorant and prejudiced way. They use the term to demean music that they don't like, or even demean a style that seems different. The term is used WAY too loosely and in utter ignorance and hate. The new LP album is SO far from emo, so please stop using the word to blindly follow other haters.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

yeah, it's good to hear someone other than myself saying that, man! :D 'cause i've been repeating myself for a while. ;) i hate the word and i strongly hate the label and it's nice to know i'm not alone.

Last edited: May 16, 2007
    Rather Red

yeah dude i just can't deal with the immaturity on the LP board. it's just little kids being immature, hateful, and closed-minded in every aspect.

perhaps this is an ignorant stereotype in itself, but i really don't want to deal with those kids on that board anymore :)

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

It couldn't be any further from emo. People are idiots.
    :cloud:

Arlene

Arlene Oh what tangled webs we weave LPA Super Member

:lol: I definitley agree with you guys. This album is so not emo!

CHW42

CHW42 Well-Known Member

The only song that comes close to being emo on it is Bleed It Out, which is about cutting yourselves...The rest are just emotional songs like the rest in LP's past library. Nowadays people think if you talk about emotion even a little bit it's emo, how shallow and stupid.

blueeye

blueeye Well-Known Member

Exactly. That sadly is the reason why i'm not on it anymore cause i just get annoyed by those people.

Importskyline22

Importskyline22 LPA VIP LPA VIP

No not really. Just because he says "bleed it out" dosnt mean to literally bleed. It very well could mean throu tears or sweat. Im bleeding out my emotions.

If he said "I cut myself to bleed it out" that would be a differnt story. But no, i dont see any where that it would be about cutting yourself.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Deduction of 4000 points for taking that too literally.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I bet if HT or Meteora were released now it'd be dismissed as emo as well.

Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Well-Known Member

It's clearly none of the above, it pwns all labels and genres. It is Linkin Park.

ProEdge

ProEdge Well-Known Member

Although I don't listen to emo, I have heard it. And I'm sure I'll get bombed for this one but the only song that comes even close to sounding emo is Valentines Day. That's probably it though.

CHW42

CHW42 Well-Known Member

Read the lyrics....he says "I've opened up these scars, I'll make you face this, I've pulled myself apart"

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I take it you don't know what a metaphor is.

Importskyline22

Importskyline22 LPA VIP LPA VIP

I agree with what dean says, Its a metaphor.

"open up these scars, ill make you face it" would mean, im coming otu with my problems, im im revealing to you what has hurt me.

BeneathYourSkin

BeneathYourSkin Well-Known Member

Totally agree...without the spelling mistakes. Bleed It Out has nothing to do with literal self mutilation. Mental? Maybe.

CHW42

CHW42 Well-Known Member

LP's lyrics can mean a lot of stuff, people have different views and I understand...but clearly, metaphor or not that song can be interperated as emo. I am not saying LP is emo...I'm saying that song is emo, I love LP and I would never bash them. All the songs have different meanings, would you believe that What I've Done had the meaning of suicide, or putting your life to an end? I didn't until I saw that in the booklet..

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Its a metaphor :rolleyes:

:cloud:

Pr3D

Pr3D Active Member

Linkin Park is def not emo... and bleed it out is def a metaphor.

Although they are going to tour with 'My Chemical Romance' it could give them that associated image - and it wouldn't help that linkin park's song are emotionally based. But anyone with half a brain can see that LP aren't emo.

Rather Red

Even if the song has to do with self-mutilation, the song is a rap-rock hoedown. A prevailing stereotype of "emo" kids is that they cut themselves, but that is only an ignorant stereotype. While some people who are addicted to self-mutilation may like "emo" music, that does not make those people "emo".

Emo is not a type of people. If anyone calls a person "emo", they are probably misusing the word. Emo is a type of music, usually with high vocals and acoustic/clean guitars, with lyrics that wallow in self-pity and make remarks towards girls that are melodramatic and hurtful. See: Rites of Spring, Dashboard Confessional, maybe even Something Corporate.

"Bleed It Out" has nothing to do with that style of music. While I can see how the person who said "Valentine's Day" is a bit "emo" sees similarities in lyrical style, the song still isn't in the emo genre.