After an honest listen...thoughts?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Pinkin Lark, May 4, 2007.

carrotmadman6

carrotmadman6 New Member

When i first heard the songs, i was very disappointed... Linkin Park is no longer the same Linkin Park.
    Change is good, but too much change is harmful.
    It's no longer nu-metal but a variant of Pop Rock.

HT & Meteora were such great albums that the expectations for MTM were very high(a bit too high).

Only the first 6 tracks are good with What I've Done being the best.

Overall I would give it 3/5.

Let's hope the next album will be a return to the basics... I believe LP can do better & they'll do better next time.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Haven't downloaded it.
    haven't listened to the 30 second clips either, but I did give in and read a lot of lyrics.
    And it looks amazing, I love them, Leave Out All The Rest and TLTGYA strike me as especially powerful. Can't wait, and apparently it actually comes out on the 12th in Australia, rather than the 14th, so I don't have too long to wait.

:cloud:

arbaks

arbaks Well-Known Member

that is exactly how i feel after listening to this album...

it doesnt suck completely but the fire is out, i just dont feel the music...

maybe is because they are getting older and cant enjoy loud rock anymore...

its just too flat...

Last edited: May 8, 2007
    [Eyefire]

[Eyefire] Active Member

Every time i listen to the album, I love it even more!

The only song I haven't fallen in love with yet is Valentine's Day.

TLTGYA was a bit of a disappointment, bu tonce i listened to it, and read what Chaz said about it, I like it. I was affected a good bit by Katrina cuz my dad almost died so this song means a good bit to me...

The rest are all awesome...:D

13 outta 10!

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

i love the album.

at first i was like.. WTF is this? and nothing really changed for a day or two. but now, i love it. its a proper chill out cd. i like it a lot :)

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Wake: It's about as good as I think an intro could be. It sounds a bi like something from White Pony by Deftones, only more upbeat, and I suppose you could say MTM is LP's White Pony.

Given Up: This song reminds me of certain songs from King For A Day by Faith No More, only even nastier but not quite as good. It might be simple but I love the bassline in the verses, however I can see myself growing tired of this song quicker than anything else on the album because of it's simplicity.

Bleed It Out: I love the first verse but it doesn't do much for me after that. I think it shows that LP could probably have taken their old style further without actually doing that very much by itself.

Shadow Of The Day: I love the sampling in this song. Incidentally it was my least favourite songs from the album judging by the clips but now it's one of my favourites. Beautiful.

What I've Done: I've heard it so many times now that it's lost it's original power but it's still miles better than pretty much any other single they've released other than In The End and maybe Papercut.

Hands Held High: The rapping's pretty decent and it sounds nothing like Toy Soldiers to me. Very dull overall though. What's with the chorus? EDIT: This is definitely a song that'll get better with multiple listens.

No More Sorrow: I'd rather have more lead guitar like this than the wankery other people wanted. This is basically what Miss Murder would sound like if it were a) good and b) not desperately trying to sound like any given song off American Idiot, only darker.

Valentine's Day: This is easily the weakest song on the album. It just goes nowhere, the lyrics aren't very good and it disappears from my mind as soon as it ends.

In Between: Not bad, but like a lot of people I'd rather hear Mike rapping or singing harmonies with Chester.

In Pieces - This is my favourite song on the album. I love how it sounds almost like The Police. It's the perfect mix of tenderness and energy.

The Little Things Give You Away: This is probably my second favourite song on the album. It's hard to believe that this is the same band who recorded Meteora and I agree with the band member who said it shows what LP can achieve musically, even if I prefer In Pieces.

I'd give it 7.5/10 which will probably rise the more I listen to it.

Last edited: May 9, 2007
    "/Shawn08\"

"/Shawn08\" Well-Known Member

I have to completely agree with you saying that this could be LP's White Pony.
    Maybe they'll follow in Deftones footsteps further and put out a self-titled heavier album next.

its a possibilty :lol:

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Nah, it'll probably be their B-Sides & Rarities next. :p

shockwave

shockwave Well-Known Member

dude, ever heard of people being entitled to their opinion...i am one who thinks this album is beautiful but ill say it again...thats MY opinion.
    and again with the 'emo' tag, sorry but i find that ludacris to label this emo, it seems no-one can display a form of emotion nowadays without being labelled that. after all they are human...and thats what we feel.

btw dont try and get people to think like you, they'll think they want :)

pugofdoom

pugofdoom Well-Known Member

FTW

mmmmtastycookies

mmmmtastycookies Not black & white, only organized confusion

no matter how good this album is going to be, i think it would have been more of a crime for lp to release a cd that was exactly along the lines of HT and meteora. they even said themselves they weren't looking for a trilogy. now we have fresh songs that may be different, but every single band has changed there sound throughout the history of music. even metallica played with an orchestra! is that emo?!!?!

Dart

Dart Well-Known Member

well...i was struck at the beginning but i got used to...seems there is a "pop line" in me which falls on the melodies first and then rationalises later...
    so,to sum it up

it is a quality album from lp,it has elements of emo,pop,rock,metal,electronica...the softer,ballad sound irritates some of you,but i see it only as a plus.they needed a pause from all the power chords...a great thing is that every song is different,has it's own story,even the harder songs are not the old lp...it's a good album,i would rate it 6/10 considering by my criteria that a 4 is "passable", 5 is average, 6 is good, 7 very good, 8 great, 9 almost perfect and 10 is pure perfection...of course,no album has reached 10 yet :)

ht is also 6 and meteora isn't even passable...3 i would say

treck by track review later

kittycat

kittycat Well-Known Member

I'm surprised no one ever mentioned Mike's singing on Hands Held High (sorry if someone did and I missed it, but I'm quite sure no one did because I pretty much read every post). It was a nice surprise to hear that. Anyway, I just bought the album and still listening to it. I'll share my thoughts later. :)

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Bought this album a couple of hours ago....

And its amazing, I can't believe its the same band! I just know I'll come to love it more than HT and Meteora put together. Lp is here to stay people, these guys have shown that they've got the creativity to stick around as long as they like.

Amazing album, buy it foo's!

:cloud:

Nothin*2*lose

Nothin*2*lose Well-Known Member

I'm listening to it for the first time now and at the moment I'm still deciding which songs I like. "In Pieces" stands out the most so far, I also like "Given Up" (Come on listen to the "Put me out of my misery! part), "Bleed It Out", "Hands Held High" has some of my favourite lyrics.
    I really don't like "The Little Things You Give Away" in the first verse, I think Chester is just a bit too high vocally, but the song gets better as it goes along.
    I haven't decided yet on the other on, I think they'll have to grow on me a bit more.
    Final verdict:Overall pretty good, but "In Pieces" is deadly.

Foreshadowed_LP

Foreshadowed_LP Well-Known Member

I had an e-mail today stating my album has been posted. So, looks like I'll be getting it Monday now and not tomorrow, which sucks.

Will have to listen to it after College around 6pm on Monday. Then I'll write up my review on Monday night.

trust co.

trust co. New Member

1st post

couldnt agree more
    in the 1st album they got IN THE END, 2nd ablum SOMEWHERE I BELONG
    they were both good soft songs, but i can not accpet most songs in this new album, maybe i need more time.............

pugofdoom

pugofdoom Well-Known Member

In Pieces, FTW.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I think I've said this already, but all I asked for in MtM was anything, as long as it WASN'T Hybrid Theory 3 (a la Meteora). The lyrics have improved, they're trying new styles, and I'm diggin' it. My scores:

Hybrid Theory - 5/5
    Minutes To Midnight - 4/5
    Meteora - 3 (or possibly lower)/5

neoprose

neoprose Member

Maybe you need to mature like they have. If you listen hard it isn't emo, it is about current world issues but it is subtle enough to be timeless. It is a truly beautiful album and shows the strength of LP's diversity.

I love all their old stuff just the same but this is really something else. It is great to be able to hear their older work and then the current. People say they are better then their old stuff, maybe so, but I think that there old stuff is just as good as anything else they have done. I look at LP's music (all of it, including FM) as a broad planar of great music. Of course I like other songs better but I don't think anything is bad.

Back to the album. The lyrics are more miminal in this album, but it has a strong and beautiful cadence, like all their other work. It is just a little different then other songs; no better, no worse, just different.

After all, you can't get better then the best from the beginning, :p