'Minutes To Midnight' Leaks

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Trent would not be happy. :lol:

2. Rather Red

Rather Red Well-Known Member

I'm not writing an academic essay here. I think my grammar and writing are sufficient for a message board.

I wasn't trying to speak for everybody, but I was coming from a perspective I think more than a few people can relate to. I think the point of the message board, hell, communication itself, is to express your preferential and personal opinion on a matter. It's not only that I stylistically don't prefer many of the songs, but I don't think that they are very good, quite frankly. I don't think that's a very unique perspective; others may very likely share it.

Meteora wasn't successful? That's just plain wrong. It wasn't as good as HT nor did it sell as many copies, but it was a very successful album.

Sure I know they needed to go beyond HT and Meteora, I agree with that notion. But I don't think the direction they went in was progressive. While many of the songs are melodic and may use more instruments, they aren't very good. The background is weak, the music isn't powerful.

Yes, Linkin Park has aged. Are they too old to play and enjoy loud rock music? No. If that were the case, "Given Up" would not be on the disc. Sure, they can make whatever music they want, but that doesn't mean the quality will still be there, or the fans for that matter. And I think that matters more than you think.

Are they really now? Sure, I'm not denying their talent, but they lost many facets of what made them good when they tried to think outside the box on this album. They are very capable and very talented, this is why I am disappointed with the poor quality of some songs on this CD.

After I heard they had spent so much time on this album, I was VERY excited because thought this meant the few songs they chose would truly be very good. While the songs they chose were quite different from anything they've made before, they weren't good songs. And I love me a good pop song, don't get me wrong :) . I love me a good ballad too. I don't like these songs. My tastes have matured, and LP claims theirs have too. But I see right through these songs and the quality just isn't there. Mark, you may think this is my personal opinion, but I'm on this message board to express that personal opinion. And I think others will share it.

3. Mark

Your grammar is fine. It's just that when you get with big blocks of text, it's difficult to read. I'm sure there's many people who just skipped over that post because it seemed so forebodingly long.

I should rephrase that. It was successful in that it sold alot of copies. It was a disappointment in terms of quality (first and foremost) and in that not as many people thought it was good enough to pick up in stores, in comparison to Hybrid Theory. They were not successful in making a good follow-up to their debut.

I'm completely content with the notion that these songs aren't your cup of tea. That's perfectly fine and I respect your opinion. It's just that when people say this band is solely a rap-rock band and proceed to lambast them for going outside the musical borders of what people label and constrict their sound that annoys me.

This is really just subjective to one's opinion as to whether this change was a good thing or not. I beg to differ. That's all there is to it.

And others will oppose it. It's an opinion.

My tastes in music have changed too. My least favorite song on the album (Given Up) is one of the only songs that really sounds like older Linkin Park. I was outgrowing this band at a very fast pace and this new sound is a fresh breath of air to me. The band could release 'Hybrid Theory' this year and I probably wouldn't have liked it nearly as much as I did seven years ago, let alone 3-4 years. I think this new sound has come at a perfect time for when my musical tastes are evolving and taking new shape. Perhaps that's why I like it so much.

I've said many times that I don't think this is a perfect album by any means. But I would enjoy this much more than any rehashing of the band's rap-rock sound of which I've gradually grown tired. I guess that's where we differ.

4. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I just upgraded my sound card drivers. Hearing MTM more clearer = more reasons to enjoy this album.

5. Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Just wait till it's released and you get your hands on a proper lossless copy. ;)

6. Rather Red

Rather Red Well-Known Member

I was just talking about the importance of a preference/opinion because in your previous post you said, "I'm sorry the band didn't write the album exactly to your preference, but that's not how this works," and i just thought you were devaluing the opinions of those who don't like the album with that statement. We're here to express our preferences and that is how music is judged in the end. Anyway...

I think I needed to specify that I would've loved this album if either...

1. They didn't simply rehash the rap-rock but acted progressively in that genre (or somewhere near there) and advanced in their musicality in that respect.

or

2. The quality of some of the songs on Minutes to Midnight (specifically their softer "experiments" that failed to capture me) was up to par.

You also said those who don't like the album need to respect the band for making an album they wanted to make. I definitely respect them for thinking outside the box, but I don't respect the quality of the product they put out. I don't think they wanted to make a mediocre album, but I think that the drawn-out process they all explained left them more closed-minded than anything. I don't know how else to excuse some of these songs.

Edit: But you know what? I'm gonna give them a fair shake because I definitely want to hear the real finished product and have the "experience" Mike is talking about (despite he sounded like an unconvincing salesman trying to sell records haha). I REALLY want to prove myself wrong and enjoy this album.

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  7. Mark

That wasn't my intention.

Them being open to try new things (i.e: totally revamping their sound) seems completely contradictory to them being close-minded. They've broken outside the box in terms of creativity and evolved as musicians. You cannot tell me the solo in "In Pieces" is parallel in terms of technicality to any other song they've created, for example. The lyrics are more relevant and refined.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on whether this is a step forward or backward for the band. I doubt there'll be any convincing otherwise in either of our cases.

8. sutherbust

sutherbust Member

minutes to midnight

I listened to the songs over at youtube and i love them all in some way or another...love the slower more emotional songs like Valentines Day..that one brought some tears to my eyes...for real and i love the heavier stuff like no more sorrow and given up. Awesome cd and now i wanna buy it cause i always but the cd's that move me like that. I just know this is gonna be stuck in my cd player for months to come. They have some political stuff in there i see..very interesting ...wanna see them live know. I thought that chester sounded like layne stayley on the little things give you away...awesome vocals on that track! I may just like this as much as meteora!

9. Nick595

Nick595 Well-Known Member

Nahh, you can't compare HT and Meteora with this album, because the music is different.
    But hearing it just motivates me even more to buy the album! :D

10. -x-ecks-x-

-x-ecks-x- Well-Known Member

Ok, if any of you think this next part is directed at you, it probably is.

The new album is very different from... the LP of old. I myself like a few of the songs but it's flow is off somehow. Now I didn't have stellar high expectations for this album, to be honest, I didn't think I would have liked it as much as I do. That said, I hope LP does continue to produce music, because I can see in this album a whole new potential for the band.

I understand some of you are a lil disappointed, but as was said already, LP grew-up. With that comes a new level of difficulties and challenges. Musically speaking, they're tapping into a new more mature part of themselves, and it's going to take some time for them to find the right fit. It took them many years to become established what they are, with the long break they took (to tour and make the fans happy no less) they opened up a "history book" and are starting over.

As i said, I hope they continue to evolve. May their next album truely be the one that anchors LP in the Rock n Roll elite.

11. chaosblade

chaosblade Well-Known Member

This is probably the 5th or so post of me saying it, But it just keep growing on me more and more. I keep noticing myself humming parts of songs i didn't even like at first.

Meh, I can already see some people and probably some of my friends too calling me a fanboy just because i turned my initial impression around, But what the hell.

Anyone even using terms like 'n00b' or 'fanboy' shouldn't have his opinion respected, In my eyes. I don't consider those able words to convey any meaning, At least not for intelligent people.

12. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Spin: By rejecting the genre of music that made you guys stars, aren't you running the risk of a backlash?

I think this quote explains a lot.

13. DisturbedOne98

DisturbedOne98 Well-Known Member

I'll definitely take Mike's word for it. That's why I need more time to unravel the layers of this album so in that case the original order probably works the best.

14. musicphreke

musicphreke Living Thing

Very well said by Chester, because that's definitely true and they knew that is what would happen.

Derek, it is nice to hear things in such nice quality. I can't wait to hear the DVD 5.1 surround sound version of the album on my nifty 5.1 speakers :). Only a few more days!

15. blank_space

blank_space Member

The worst on the album for me is in Between. Sound like it should be on a mary kate and ashley video. I like all of the other songs though. No more sorrow is my favorite(I wish there was more songs like this). TLTGYA Is waaaay Over hyped. The solo isn't that good, the lyrics are kinda repetitive, and it just feels like they dragged it out to say they have a 6 minute song.

A lot of the slow songs sound similar only because the tempos are really close.

I think from now on Linkin Park should not pay attention to what critiques say. They shouldn't have changed musical direction just because people were bashing it. Now what they should have done was kept the heaviness and matured the lyrics and music( without taking away "banging guitars"). I know they can do what they want BUT I think they did it just because people were bashing them.

16. MrXtr3me

MrXtr3me New Member

I must admit i would've liked a heavier album, with a couple more tracks with Shinoda and Hahn involved. but i don't wanna take away the fact that the album is awesome! Just can't get enough of LP.

17. reddboi

reddboi Member

i would have to say wake and leave out all the rest are my favorites

Wake is the best along with leave out the rest.

18. Mark

You don't need to repost posts that aren't showing up. We moderate posts from new members. The original post won't show up immediately, but it will within a short time of when you originally posted it.

19. CloserToCrawling

CloserToCrawling Ambient

After listening to the entire album in order, all I can say is that it sounds like Linkin Park is trying to replace its original fan base with another fan base whose tastes are completely different. The only two songs that sound even remotely like "Linkin Park" are "What I've Done" and "Given Up". Even those two are pretty different.

1. "Wake" is a pretty interesting intro. In terms of quality and sound, I'm a fan. It's certainly a deviation from "Foreword".

2. "Given Up" is a very catchy song. Lyrics are slightly under par, but if this were the new sound LP was talking about, and if this were the style that was present throughout the entire album, I wouldn't feel as disappointed.

3. "Leave Out All the Rest" is tolerable. For a heavily alternative band. I'm all for songs where Chester can show his singing voice, not just screaming voice. However, this song is so weak in its lyrics and its melody that no matter how great Chester's voice sounds, there's no integrity in the song.

4. "Bleed It Out" is super-catchy, but Mike's rapping on here slips. The melody is excellent and the pace reminds me a bit of "Faint." The lyrics are ok, but the main reason why this song is not terrific is mainly due to Mike's rapping, which sounds like he's running out of breath.

5. "Shadow of the Day" is, to me, horrific. The strings and Chester's voice are excellent. However, Linkin Park stated in their interviews that though their album will be different, you'd be able to tell that it's LP. If I were to listen to this song on the radio, I'd think of Jimmy Eat World's "23" or even Augustana. This song was just one of the songs that made this album deviate completely away from a rock album to a confused alternative album.

6. "What I've Done", as you've all heard, is more like Linkin Park, despite its still very obvious movement away from rap-rock/Hybrid Theory styles.

7. "Hands Held High" is the song where Mike tries to prove that he still raps and that his presence on this album isn't just as back-up vocals. However, this song seems as though Mike is forcing his Fort Minor style into a Linkin Park album. The melody, very reminiscent of "Where'd You Go", and the political lyrics make it out of place.

8. "No More Sorrow" has the AFI feel. It's a pretty decent song mainly because it retains the rock sound. Lyrics are decent, and Chester's voice is also decent.

9. "Valentine's Day" is the song that made me really regret buying the album. Everything about this song is horrific, and there is no part of it that is worthy of listening to if you're expecting Linkin Park. The lyrics are so incredibly weak and superficial, and the beginning of the song sounds almost identical to Death Cab for Cutie's "Title and Registration". This song taints the album.

10. "In Between" shows that Mike actually sings. The lyrics focus less on personal emotions and more on relationships, which is one aspect that makes it weak. If I wanted to listen to a song that reminded me of Ben Folds, I would listen to Ben Folds directly. The melody is nice, but not for a rock album or a rock band.

11. "In Pieces" has an interesting sound. The fact that the two sounds at the beginning of the song are not in the same note provides a haunting sound, and Chester's voice is beautiful in this song. Brad's solo is amazing, and Rob's drumming is talented as always. This song doesn't sound anything like Linkin Park, and a little more "emo" than some of us may like. The melody itself is also a bit flat during the chorus.

12. "Little Things Give You Away" is certainly not the greatest song Linkin Park has put out. If you combined Bob Dylan, Snow Patrol and John Lennon, you'd get something like this song. The acoustic guitar makes it sound so weak, the lyrics make it sound like a Music for Relief song, and the melody everywhere else makes it sound like Snow Patrol. Brad's "longer than a minute" solo is beautifully done, but sounds nothing like anything we've ever heard before, and Chester's vocalization sounds like something taken from a Grey Daze album. The last minute and a half of the song is a repetitious, if not unnecessarily repetitive replay of the chorus...over and over and over again. It's a nice song if you're into charity concerts and benefit funds.

Overall Rating: 2.5/5

I'm not saying I despise Linkin Park for this album, but Minutes to Midnight's weaknesses overpower its strengths. If Rick Rubin's goal with LP was to change their sound, he also succeeded in changing their integrity as a musical act. Perhaps my expectations for this album were too high, but sue me if I wanted something that sounded at least a tiny bit like Hybrid Theory or Meteora. This album is everywhere, with no uniformity and certainly no distinct style. I felt l've listened to country, folk, alternative, emo, and rock all in the same album, and not in a decent fashion. Minutes to Midnight is revolutionary not in its musical quality, but in its ability to completely replace a fan base.

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  20. musicphreke

musicphreke Living Thing

Listening to the album with some good headphones is so much more intimate and you can feel the emotion throughout the songs, especially "Valentine's Day" and "The Little Things Give You Away". The album is so much better this way and you can hear a lot more than you can listening on normal speakers with possible interruptions or distractions. Just kick back and listen and it's like a journey. I almost wanted to cry for TLTGYA because I can feel the emotion in Chester's voice. And I think the solo is better than people are giving credit to it. It's not supposed to be amazing, it's just a "sad" solo of a lonely guitar feeding more emotion to the song where words wouldn't do any justice. It's amazing. Best LP album in my personal opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.