Chester In Spin

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Omar A

Omar A Beyond Science LPA Super Member

Remember back in the Linkin Park days when people got insulted if you said LP are Nu-Metal?

Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

Yeah I thought the same thing while reading the interview. I don't agree with Chester smashing the nu-metal genre, because while I'm no longer a real fan of it (even if it were the force it was just 3-4 years ago), I still appreciate the enjoyment I got out of it. And Chester should definitely appreciate the money it helped him make. I mean Linkin Park has toured and worked with everyone from Limp Bizkit to Korn to Powerman 3000. What's he gonna say when he walks into his "old buddies"?

I don't think they're trying to necessarilly join that whole emo-core scene, but I think they're smart enough to know that touring with certain people will help them make more money on tour. I mean in 2007, who do you think it'd be more beneficial for LP to tour with, My Chemical Romance or a band like Hinder? Personally, I think it'd be a great show seeing those two bands, but I'm hoping they're not changing their sound so suit a new trend. We'll find out soon enough.

Sorry for the long post!

Linkin Park were the definition of a nu-metal band. They strictly used downturned guitars, no guitar solos, DJ samples were often the center of the song as opposed to guitar play, and had rapping, and their lyrics are among the most angst-ridden. I'm not saying it was a bad thing, they did what they did better than anyone else.

The only song from the first two albums you can say weren't nu-metal is Breaking the Habit, and I'll throw in Numb and Pushing Me Away if you'd like..

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

You guys are severely strange, honestly. This is actually the most levelheaded interview I've seen Chester give for the new album yet. He even says he doesn't want to sound arrogant. :blink:

Maybe I'm just not reading the same article, cause I saw no prickishness on Chester's part.

Cale.

Cale. Banned

I'm setting my standards and expectations low so hopefully i'll be impressed.

This album will be dross.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

So why is Joe even in the band? He barely does anything according to Chester here.

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

"and a DJ in a group just for credibility...." :whistling

So really, who CAN rock a rhyme like this? lol.

Derek

Easy, Joe's there for random scratches and to play backing tracks on What I've Done.

No actually, Joe's still going to have decent roles on this album, its just some songs are so stripped down they don't need Joe.

dragon ninja

dragon ninja Well-Known Member

What really grinds my gears is how the word 'emo' is used so freely in this interview. Its like that's the only classification that journalists understand, when most of the time the band they try to classify isn't even remotely emo. Screw that term.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

:lol:

arbaks

arbaks Well-Known Member

Comom Joe still has to do his samples an the scrath here and there, it's almost like LP signature...

And other thing remember that MOST of the LP videos are directed by Joe Hahn, I remember the making of Breaking The Habit video, the guys show up one day to the coreography but Joe had to work his ass of for months to come up with a GREAT video....

So i think even tho he doesn't have a part of a couple of songs, he still is equaly 1/6 of the band, that compensates during the hard work in the making of the very FILM-LIKE LP videos...

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

I can say that this info has really got me excited like the last couple of news posts have. Like everyone's said, the word 'emo' was used to much. I probably won't mind whichever direction they go, because it's LP...we're bound to love it. But the Joe hahn thing worries me. Sure he directs most of their videos, but he has to have some involvement. It's like getting rid of rob or brad. LP needs each other.

Foreshadowed_LP

Foreshadowed_LP Well-Known Member

Chester's sarcasm in regards to Joe Hahn was awesome also, I must add.

boojitsu

boojitsu Well-Known Member

emo is on it's way out... it's a joke now... tons of people consider emo the new nu-metal (aka... lots of little kids pretending they have big problems). That is what emo means to me. Some "emo" kids probably have TRUE problems, but a lot probably don't (just guessing). I don't see why emo is "the scene" now since it's a very big joke in most circles that emo is like the weak version of goth. just wondering what you guys think.

also, they make genres of music because there really ARE genres of music. not ALL music fits in those genres, so then you start getting mixed genres and stuff, so you find a close genre and stick it in there so people can find it online, in a record store, or put it on the approprite billboard charts (rock, rap, pop, etc) that's one reason I know.

-Boojitsu21

raiyu

raiyu Active Member

Hahaha they've 'matured', do you mean to say 'they've caved in under the pressure and can no longer take the idea that they're part of a scene that hasn't got any other good bands in it'?

They haven't matured, they've just lost the plot. Go watch how they 'acted' in the 'what I've done' video, then see if you can tell me they're not a bunch of 'wannabe try-hards without no clue' and keep a straight face.

I'll tell you one thing though, i really like this new song of theirs, 'what I've done' has a great sound and a great meaning to it. the lyrics are pretty bad, not refined or atmospheric enough (just like the general sound of it), but over all it's a good song. HOWEVER: don't try to tell me this is better than their previous work, don't try to tell me this is more mature, and don't try to tell me having more of a 'raw' sound means it's 'better' music. if you don't mention the above three, i will listen to this song and love it, but if you do, I'll tell just how much it sucks compared to the genius of their previous works.

It's ok, linkin park will be back, this is what you call a 'phase'.

Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

i personally liked that Interview, Their New Sound sounds good so far, and i love every LP CD (yes even collision course) and i have no doubt they won't let me down and i will like this album probably more than Meteora (yes i listen to Meteora more than HT, Flame me)

abajaj2280

abajaj2280 Well-Known Member

i think this was a very honest LP interview

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Hmm, I kinda have to agree with raiyu. I think that this really just an experimental 'phase' of a sort, and their old 'sound' will return in their future albums. However, that's not to say they're making terrible music at the moment or whatnot. Afterall, we haven't even heard the rest of the album yet.

fordmoo

fordmoo Active Member

We at Kudos Magazine sent along one of our top music scribes; Dominic Sacco to a rather sublime, exclusive media event yesterday evening. The occasion saw the majority of the UK’s music press converge on a gorgeous London venue to eat, drink and indeed be merry. Now this sounds most excellent does it not? So what pray tell could be a deserving enough reason for Warner Records to throw such a shindig? Well nothing short of the most anticipated Rock release of 2007. In other words this was the first UK media playback of “Minutes To Midnight” by the 40 million record selling giants: Linkin Park. Their new studio album will be released on May 14th on Warner Bros/Machine Shop Records and Kudos’ Dominic Sacco has been one of the first people to hear the new record and brings you this first hand report, review and a track by track run down of the new monster record which was co-produced by Mike Shinoda and Rick Rubin (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Run DMC) ‘What I’ve Done’ will be the first single be taken from the album and received a worldwide digital release on April 2nd before being followed by a physical UK release on May 7th.

“We have put more into the new album than anything we have ever done before,” says bassist Dave “Phoenix” Farrell. The band spent over 14 months in the studio and wrote more than 100 song demos in the making of “Minutes To Midnight”, an album which vocalist Mike Shinoda sees as, “a breakthrough in the development of the band’s sound. We wrote in new ways, and used instruments and equipment we hadn’t experimented with, from vintage guitars and amps to mellotron to Rick’s original 808 drum machine he used on the Beastie Boys first record. We tried to question every step in our songwriting process.” Producer Rick Rubin agrees: “They really are reinventing themselves, it doesn’t sound like rap-rock. There’s very strong songwriting. It’s very melodic…a progressive record.”

So what does “Minutes To Midnight” sound and feel like and do the gentlemen deliver as they always have in the past? Here is the track by track report with a preliminary review rating for each cut.

1. Wake
    To begin their long awaited album, Linkin Park choose to gently set the wheels in motion rather than forcefully kick-starting lively music which fans have come to expect. Instead, they present a slow, short intro track with a synth-heavy melody and a nice building ambiance, which gradually increases in volume. 4/5

2. Given Up
    The smoothness is soon thrown out the window however when the scratchy turntable sound of this second track transforms into a gargantuan heavy rock riff. This is possibly the most in-your-face song on the entire record – the punk rock style drumbeats are brash, the guitars thrash and Chester Bennington sings his lungs out. When it reaches the bridge, he goes from singing to screaming the line, “You put me out of my misery” over and over again. It’s heated, emotional and enjoyable, but the track definitely feels like it’s missing a certain something. 3/5

3. Leave Out All The Rest
    From one extreme to another, three tracks in and we’re presented with a ballad. It’s very listenable pop rock with tranquil vocals and dominant bass guitar. It seems odd to position such a slow-paced tune so early into the album but it’s radio friendly style is bound to be popular with many. The piece of music does end rather abruptly though and you may be left wanting more. 3/5

4. Bleed It Out
    This is much more like the Linkin Park we’re used to hearing. Mike Shinoda starts off with a casual rap before trading off with Chester and some insightful lyrics, “I bring it out, bring it in deeper just to throw it away.” The song’s structure revolves around four simple chords with screaming vocals leading up to the catchy chorus. Piano adds an extra dimension to the track but overall it’s a little repetitive and flat, ending abruptly again. Saying that, we can see this being released as a successful single in the future. 4/5

5. Shadow Of The Day
    Possibly the most listener friendly song on ‘Minutes To Midnight,’ the style is very soft yet clear with both vocals and bass taking a poppy turn. Percussion comes across clear and dominant, but overall the song remains average in terms of technicality. It seems to offer nothing more than a break-up in the record, but its dreamy nature is quite certain to be a hit with the fans. 2/5

6. What I’ve Done
    Generally a hit from the moment it is played, ‘What I’ve Done’ soars with a catchy chorus and likeable verses, before developing into a brilliant bridge and climatic ending. A gentle guitar solo midway adds depth and versatility before another welcome chorus. The haunting piano and synthetic drums combine to create a fantastic addition to Linkin Park’s third album and a perfect choice for their first single. 5/5

“What I’ve Done” Video
    7. Hands Held High
    The marching drumbeat and simple melody is an ideal backdrop to Shinoda’s poetic rapping and it has certainly developed in the space of two previous albums and his hip-hip focused side project Fort Minor. Again, Chester’s melodic singing comes in later but the central theme of the song does seem to be soldier’s homecoming in the aftermath of war. Maybe it was written to get those arms flailing lighters around at rock festivals. Either way, it’s still an impressive track. 4/5

8. No More Sorrow
    Opening up with a creeping lead guitar, ‘No More Sorrow’ rocks heads with a deep double-bass drumming intro switching over to a simple paradiddle on the snare. Definitely the best chorus of the album so far, with an enigmatic riff and emotional shouting from Bennington. The tune flows naturally with a heavy bridge followed by a modulation and even higher pitched screaming. There’s no DJ elements to this song and it has to be said that some of the vocals and drumming becomes repetitive fast – even more noticeable is the fact that the band don’t seem to be stretching themselves in terms of song writing techniques. 3/5

9. Valentine’s Day
    After a somewhat depressive two minutes of ballad-laden lyrics and slow-moving guitars, it finally kicks in with another extremely infective hook and harmonious backing vocals. “On a Valentines day” is passionately sung with interesting vocals spoken over the top, before annoyingly ending abruptly and letting the song down. 2/5

10. In Between
    If there’s a point in the album where it’s easy to see that the songs are starting to lose their flair, this is it. Those sweetly spoken vocals are back once again alongside grainy drumbeats, but without any differences in tempo there’s nothing exciting here. It’s peaceful, but there’s no denying this is a weak ballad track amongst Linkin Park’s repertoire of excellence. 1/5

11. In Pieces
    Thankfully, faith is restored with quite simply the highlight of the album. This is soft yet rhythmic with synthetic drumming you can’t fail to be taken in by. The stirring piano and powerful bass proves to be a winning combination for the band – with vocals at their best only boosting the song further. Another build up after a few minutes adds more magic to the piece, with sweet sounds and eventually more heavily distorted guitars, minus screaming. The song slows down and ends dramatically with a simple beat and ska-style guitar plucking. 5/5

12. The Little Things You Give Away
    Acoustic guitar and Linkin Park in the same sentence? You better believe it. One last ballad, with those great mechanical style drums and melodic vocals from Chester rounds ‘Minutes To Midnight’ off fruitfully. When the bass cuts in, the song hits another dimension before ending a reasonably decent record. There’s not many heavy tracks – instead, Linkin Park have shifted to crafting softer, easier listening songs like this one. Despite it not being a patch on ‘Hybrid Theory, ’it still delivers and the fans will almost surely be lapping this up after its release on 14 May. 4/5

“Minutes To Midnight” garners a preliminary 8/10 Kudos rating overall.

source: http://www.kudosmagazine.com/?p=833

Derek

Judging by that review the album sounds shit.

I'm worried now.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I will say that the way What I've Done is mixed makes it better than 99% of anything else they've recorded, actually. I dunno, I just don't like music that sounds like it's been recorded in a small metal box which is definitely what Meteora was, and so was Hybrid Theory to a smaller extent but at least that had songs that can still move me.
    Watch either of the live performances of WID and you'll see that they aren't too different visually now to what they were two years ago, other than Chester having a mic stand and Brad having to use his headphones to keep his hair back. I'd say that's a better representation of them visually because many of bands are more inclined to act up and dress differently in their promos.
    Now tell me why their previous albums are genius, anything even slightly valid for Meteora and you deserve an honourary knighthood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.