Do you Believe in God?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by esaul17, Feb 24, 2007.

?

Do you Believe in God?

1. Yes, as part of a established religion

31 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. Yes, but I don't adhere to any established dogma

14 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. No, I believe God does not exist (or is highly unlikely to exist)

26 vote(s)
    29.9%
  4. I believe it is just as likely for God to exist and not exist, so I'm agnostic

16 vote(s)
    18.4%
    Misfit Jay

Misfit Jay I'm down with tippin 40s to your memory. LPA Super Member

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Ahahahahaha.

That's deism.

Daniel

Daniel Run for your life. LPA Super Member

James. Cameron.

Though it's most likely bullshit.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

Most likely. I find it odd that this comes out just shortly after the DaVinci Code and everything when everyone is talking about how Jesus was with Mary and had a child. I believe the last time this happened was when someone found James, Brother of Jesus, somewhere, but we later found out that it was really some guy just chiseling in his house.

pantelija

pantelija Member

God is the force which created the Universe, which gave life to materia. It may not have a human form or shape, but we all know it's out there.
    If you can create out of oxygen, hydrogen, carbon for an example amoeba then you are The God

Your mental level allows you to or not to believe in God. If your average perception of the God is a bearded person which spits lightnings and cures with one touch then you don't believe in God

And yes, I believe in God

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Who's "we"?

Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Are you saying that people who don't believe in god are actually..dumb?

pantelija

pantelija Member

There are scientists, profesors... highly educated people which do not believe in God. The main reason is that they allways try to prove or deny things regarding this issue.

It has nothing to do with education or inteligence.

Give you a hint:

Isaac Newton materialized gravity. He gave us a formula which explaines this natural phenomenon. So peple can "see" what really gravity is (mathemathicaly)

But there was gravity before and after the formula was brought. :)
    Everybody knew what the gravity was, felt it... but none could define it

The Big Bang Theory says that Universe was created from a infinitely small substance, that universe emerged from a tremendously dense and high-energied particle. I am asking how that primal particle was created, what gave it energy....

In my opinion believing in God has nothing to do with religion, instead it is strictly subjective question. I think that one does or may not believe in God, but can not deny it.

I can not prove it exists but you can not prove it doen not.

*I had no intention to insult anybody, so sorry
    Thought this was discussion forum where people can debate

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

I saw something on tv the other day, a bald guy told everyone his friend got killed by The Island. Very suspicious. :p

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Just because you can't prove it either way doesn't mean it is a 50-50 situation. God has been proven to be logically impossible. He is in the same category as dragons, fairies, and the flying spaghetti monster. There is no proof, but that doesn't mean that he is just as likely to be false as existent. Just like it doesn't mean that dragons are as likely to exist as not.

God existing is not subjective. He either exists or he doesn't. We're either right or wrong. We can never prove which one is true, but the truth still exists.

And your "first cause" or unmoved mover argument is flawed. Even if we said that there had to be a mystical first cause, it would by no means have to be a God. And things like quantum theory explain how we can get something out of nothing, so the "first cause" could be entirely natural. Also, as unlikely as it may be that something natural was the first cause, it is even more unlikely that complex intelligence was present from the start of time. Complex things come into the world late, as shown by evolution.

Also, life has been created in the lab using conditions similar to those present on earth so many years ago. Simply creating a single celled organism isn't enough to make you a God though.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
    El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Are you saying that people who believe in God are actually..dumb?

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

I think what esual17 wants to say, and I agree, is that you can't prove God exists and you can't prove he doesn't either but the chances of him not existing are bigger. Logically thinking that's true.

I do have question, though. Pantelija said the Big Bang Theory is impossible to prove, but it's just the same thing with God.
    Why can you believe God has always been there and created everything in 7 days out of nothing and you can't believe small particules evolved into the Earth and everything on it in a very long time?

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

How in the world can that be logical?

When people didn't know that everything is made of atoms, the chances of their not existance were bigger?

Or before Europeans found out about America, the chances of its not existance were bigger?

It's everything but logical.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

Well, I believe that, knowing the history and origins of almost every major religion out there, none of them are true. That eliminates all of those beliefs in those Gods. Now, as for the intelligent design movement, which is just Christianity's creationism, you cannot prove it. The idea itself proves nothing.

However, it is just as logical to say that we're just a program. You see, with our growing technology, don't you think that in the future we'd be able to program a society that learns from experience and grows and grows and grows? And earns intelligence? Think if a society before us did the same thing, and we're just the result of that. The possibilities are endless, but what my logic and reasoning is telling me is that there is no reason to believe, and that the religions of the world are definitely false. Except the more philosophical ones like Buddhism and Satanism.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Here, you assume that God exists. We don't know the fact of the matter. We just can see how likely the fact seems to be true. Before America was found, it was still 100% in existence. But it wouldn't be logical to just proclaim that America existed with no evidence. Even if you were RIGHT, your train of reasoning was flawed.

If something has no evidence to exist, it is logical to believe that, while it MIGHT exist, it is unlikely. We might be wrong, but the reasoning to reach our conclusion is still logical. And when something actually has to DEFY logic to exist, the chances are lower still.

Now, about the idea of theists being stupid. This is going too far. First, I believe logical and rationality are but one of three streams of "smartness". Arts and ability to memorize things would be the other two (so you have pattern recognition: logic, pattern creation: art, and pattern recollection: memory). Believing in God only deteriorates the first one. Also, you need more than one piece of information to say how logical a person is. Someone could still be a logical genius and believe in God, it would just be dividing there mind into compartments. To believe in God is irrational, and that means it is slightly offensive to one form of intelligence. In short, to believe in God is dumb, but you're not dumb just because you believe in God (far from it).

I don't mean to offend anyone, I am just answering the question. Religious beliefs shouldn't require any more respect than scientific or political ones. If it appears absolutely irrational, I will call it such until someone can make a case to change my mind (please do: I'd love to hear it. No sarcasm intended).

Oh and Zak, I assume you already know this, but Buddhism and Satanism have no God-figures (outside of arguably yourself in the latter, but that doesn't fit the definition of God in this topic).

Just so you know, there IS evidence supporting the Bing Bang Theory. We have traced back where it occurred and such (I think with radioactivity, but I'm not positive there). Regardless, it is an idea logically possible and with at least some proof. God is and has neither. Comparing them is like comparing a boat with a pinhole in it and one with a cannon ball shot through it's side. Neither are perfect, but one is in far better condition then the other.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
    androidkaita

androidkaita Well-Known Member

here's something to think about. If god exists, and I live my life in a bad way, then I might go to hell. If God exists and I live my life in a good way, I will get to go to heaven (or wherever u beleive in) and have "eternal life". But I cant prove god dosnt exist, so if he does, I want to get to heaven so I should live my life in a good way as to not go to hell. And even if he dosnt exist, at least I lived my life in a god way, and helped a lot of people (or whatever you would do in a "good" life).

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Yeah. But you don't need God to be good. You should be good either way. Unless you mean by being "good" you mean attending church and believing. In that case, why pick the Christian God. Why not Allah, or Thor, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster- they all have the same amount of evidence. That is one problem with the idea of believing "just in case"- you are still likely to have the wrong God. And it is just as likely that a God would encourage logic and rationality, opposed to blind faith.

If you simply meant to be a good person and not kill and such, then I agree with you. But God should play no part in that decision. You are far more moral to be good for the sake of being good, then to do so because your afraid of being punished.

Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

i do believe in god and in jesus christ.
    i believe whole heartedly and love them.

however, there are some things about christianity and the bible that i don't take literally or have some personal dispute with.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

Pascal's Wager is lame. Sorry. The concept of what is good from the Bible is a bunch of bullshit. Greed, Lust, Pride, Gluttony, wanting as many material possessions, caring about yourself most importantly, etc. are all things you should completely indulge yourself in.

It seems as though you're still fearing the unknown, and you need to realize that what you should really be doing is satisfying yourself first.

Joeykat

Joeykat Forever watching...

The only time that I personally will believe if God exists is when he comes down and says heylo to everyone *nods*

I used to believe in him when I was little. Liek everytime it rained I used to think 'hmm God is having a shower' or 'God is flushing his toilet' or something like that until I was about 7 when I found out that the tooth fairy didn't exist and also that Santa Claus was most the time your older relatives dressed up (I came to this conclusion when I shut the front door in Santa's face and my Nanny came in rubbing her nose).

I believe in the Big Bang Theory as I enjoyed physics and I believe in evolution all in which the Bible disapproves of.

For all we know, the Bible could have been written by a bunch of stoners who got bored one day...

I'm sorry if I offended some people by my view on this, but everyone has a right to put across their view. I have mine... Now lets see yours :)

No-one is totally sure what a "good life" is... In some parallel universe the "good" in our world could mean bad and the "bad" in our world could mean good.

In all there is no proof of God. But their is scientific evidence of the Big Bang Theory and of Evolution. Where is the fact of God and Jesus and all the other big Religious people (I don't exactly know what terminology to use here... someone help). If God does exist.. Most people are damned to hell anyway because of our materialistic lifestyles and mistreatment of the people under us (thrid world countries etc.)

Another thing that stumped me doing geography... We have First world countries and Thrid world countries, but where are the Second world countries, is that term reserved for the supposed alien civilizations that have not yet been discovered. See yet again we are thinking that our race is superior to others, we are making species of animals extinct under our own noses and classifying our own race.

Sorry if i went off track here, and for double posting, but i missed this post and only realised after i posted the first *blush*