What was wrong with Meteora?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Agent, Sep 14, 2006.

MyScarOfLifeIsU

MyScarOfLifeIsU New Member

Agreed. If LP is the only band to successfully pull off that sound than that makes it unique; even if they do it twice. Which they do, but who cares really? I like Meteora and I guess that is just the point...you can knitpick on the smaller things, but in the end you either like it or you don't. And I do.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

Linkin Park's style came from a love to play that style. They love to play the sound you're hearing in Hybrid Theory and Meteora. It's not like they were going: "Hmm...we want to make a country album, but that's not unique. I guess we'll have to do something that we don't really want to do and make a hip-hop/rock fusion record."

They made it the way they did because they love the style. They're not going to sit down and completely think up a new sound for every album if they already love the sound they had before. I don't think you should look at it as how Hybrid Theory sounds and how Meteora sounds and compare them. It's how Linkin Park sounds, and I don't think they're going to stop doing a style that they loved to do.

And you have to note that it was just a sophmore release. They were a brand new band that sort of blew up when they released their first album, and I'm sure they didn't even want to try and change up their sound alot if they weren't completely sure what to do yet.

Now they have alot of experience, they're listening to the fans, they're away from restrictions, they're experimenting. I think this new album is going to just be insane.

aeris

aeris Well-Known Member

Yeah, EXACTLY. If something works, is unique and right for them, why the hell try to change it just for the sake of changing it? And as Zak said,

Sor!n

Sor!n Member

I know that Meteora is not as good as HT but I like it almost just as much. Don't tell me Faint, Numb or Figure 09 are boring... simple guitar but good lyrics (I think). I dont know why but I really like this album.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

i loved "meteora" as much as "hybrid theory". and i still do.

i think linkin park weren't exactly just trying to duplicate "hybrid theory" (as the fan backlash suggested), beacuse there were new elements on the album, things which they had never tried before. you know, the use of live strings, playing around with new tempos and a bit more electronica - altogether, shows some growth and evolution in the sound.

just because there isn't much change in the sound (on the listener's end, anyway) doesn't mean the sound has been degraded or become worse, somehow. the sound isn't worn out simply because the first two albums released by LP carry some similarities. i mean, the band does have to have a signature sound by which they can be recognised.

you try thinking up a totally new set of genres that LP would be comfortable playing with; LP came from rock, electronic and rap music ... and when they as a band put those different genres together, they get a linkin park sound. so they weren't about to go on and start listening to and using every other genre because the fans thought totally new genres were necessary for the second album.

apparently, this next album will take an even larger step forward, since the band are suggesting that they are going to totally revamp the sound. which is good, nonetheless. ;) what's happening on the third album doesn't come from the "fans"' constant demands for a new sound; it's coming from what the band wants to do, combined with rick rubin's guidance. likewise, LP probably didn't mean to do something too close to "hybrid theory" for "meteora" - it's what they wanted to do and what came out came out.

meteora_freak92

meteora_freak92 Member

[I don't think there's anything wrong with Meteora!
    I reckon it's even better than Hybrid Theory. Although I love them both.
    I can't wait till the new album comes out!

P.D.

P.D. Well-Known Member

The only wrong with Meteora is; Breakig the Habit, Session and Nobody's Listening (the live version is better). But Figure.09, Faint, Hit the Floor (Can't understand why they didn't played that song in Live In Texas), Lying From You, From the Inside rocks. The best song on that album is Figure.09!!!!!!!!!!!

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

The only GOOD songs on Meteora were: Breaking The Habit, Hit The Floor, Lying From You and maybe Faint. The rest was just copy & paste from HT

P.D.

P.D. Well-Known Member

what do you mean with copy??

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

He means some of the other songs from Meteora had the same sound as some of the songs on Hybrid Theory.

For example, Figure.09 and By Myself have almsot identical bridges. Easier To Run and Crawling start off pretty much the same, and sound the same overall. Don't Stay and One Step Close have similar sounds, and are built the same way, same goes for Somewhere I Belong and In The End, and the same thing with Pushing My Away & Numb.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

I agree with what you said bout everything except Dont stay and OSC, ive never understoof why people see those as similar, just 'cos they're heavy and mostly feature chester.
    on hte figure.09/by myself thing, the bridge is the same, i think because they were a new band, they'd put together something awesome and it probably fitted in their again, so it probably happened subconsciously, im sur ethey werent actually trying to make clones of anything that was popular.
    But i love meteora, always will im sure
    :cloud:

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

And lets just hope this new album isn't a copy of any of their previous work. Hopefully it won't be the same, repetitive instrument styles and the verse/chorous/verse/chorous/bridge/chorous format, and the same "I'm 30 years old but I'm going to whine about how my parents suck and how tough being a teenager is" lyrics.

El Muerto

In the worst case, a copy of HTEP would be just fine :)

P.D.

P.D. Well-Known Member

or a copy of both Hybrid Theory EP and Xero ;) :p

El Muerto

J/k, no copies please.

Phantom Duck

Phantom Duck You are my detonator. LPA Super Member

One Windows Vista copy along with the album wouldn't be too bad.

Arthas

Arthas New Member

They are unique in everything they do and if there were million people there would be million tastes so I say keep the god job..Don't stay, By Myself,With you every other song.. master piece...:shifty:

pALaDIN_LP

pALaDIN_LP Member

Meteora is as great as HT, I still can't decide which do I lke the most. I hope the new album will be even better.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

yeah...hoping

Linkinpark4eva

Linkinpark4eva New Member

My fav songs from Meteora were Numb and Breaking the Habit. I liked the tune and the lyrics.