What do you think that the next Album will be like?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Forks N Knives, Feb 9, 2018.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Well, if you look at your criteria,
    "Heavy" has all of these things, so it should feel "complete" to you, whatever the hell that means. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but there's a wide gulf between this ^ and suggesting that guitarzz are the be-all-and-end-all:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Forks N Knives

Forks N Knives NO CONTROOOL NO SURPRIIIISE

I gave Heavy a good listen again. I lose the argument.

It has everything, however quite a bit of those things got buried in the mix. I don’t think there is a “strongest section” of LP. Like I said, combined effort. Also, we’re going way off topic now.

Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

Heavy is arguably the most classic LP-type track on OML. It's just packaged slightly differently.

Back on topic, I think that there is still such a long way to go in the healing process, that it's tough to say what the future holds.

If the band were making an album now then I think Mike's post traumatic ep would be a likely guide to the sort of sound to expect, however given how the rest of the guys will all deal with grief differently it could be a long time before they are all ready to start making music again. Which is understandable.

However I think it's almost certain that any new album, whenever or if it ever comes, will not contain any Mike screaming, nor will it contain any epic shredding from Brad.

I just hope the majority of the fan base stick with the band regardless, they deserve it.

StrictlyJohnD

StrictlyJohnD Go Texans & Rockets!

It'll sound like what the quintet is feeling, thinking, and living at the moment. One thing is certain: it'll be miles apart from OML and a galaxy away from HT.

IronDust71 and minuteforce like this.
    Forks N Knives

I’m imagining some hip-hop-esque themes. We could also maybe hear some tasty basslines from Phoenix.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

I would say they would get into a more electronic direction.

Forks N Knives

I’d say so too. Some cool beats layed out by Rob, Joe doing what he does with those electronics and turntables, Brad using some clean tones on the axe and maybe some really cool basslines from Phoenix. Maybe. Also, Mike laying out some freestyles.

minuteforce

I guess I hope so as well but I also the fanbase is still fickle as hell and that won't change.

People are still bitching about how OML sounds different from the band's previous albums. A lot of them are still harping on about how ~pop music isn't real music~ but struggling to reconcile that notion with the fact that LP (and many other artists they enjoy) has been a pop act from the go.

Sasuke likes this.
    Forks N Knives

They haven’t been a pop act. However, they have no set genre. You’ve got Living Things on one hand then you’ve got The Hunting Party. Both albums which I love.

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

HT had pop moments like the verses in Crawling and then songs like ITE and PMA. Maybe not a complete pop act but every album has had songs that are founded in that style. Meteora had BTH and Numb, MTM had LOATR, SOTD... so on and so forth. But yeah, they are known now for hopping between genres

Forks N Knives

Numb wouldn’t be Pop. Breaking The Habit has vocals you’d find in rock, however the instrumentals would be considered pop. Numb wouldn’t be Pop, however Breaking the Habit would fall into that category.

minuteforce

You absolutely don't make the Hot 100 without being pop (or pop being you) one way or another. Damn near all of LP's singles and most of the album tracks surrounding them could be considered firmly pop. "The Hunting Party" steps away from pop songs for the most part but it's an outlier.

Forks N Knives

Hmmm.... (strokes beard)

Well now that I think about it, yes they are a pop act in that sense however when it comes to the music I wouldn’t call them a pop or rock act.

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Chester called Numb a pop song but it all comes down to opinion, I guess.

Forks N Knives

It did reach the top 100, however I feel like it’s too aggressive at parts for it to be a pop song. It’s opinion though. I can see Chester’s point. Numb would be fairly poppy compared to something like One Step Closer or Papercut.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

I'm having PTSD flashbacks to arguments during the OML hype period.

Sasuke likes this.
    minuteforce

"Numb" peaked at #11 on the Hot 100 in the U.S., and that isn't the highest an LP song has climbed on that chart. Again, just being on the chart definitively means it's pop.

"Hybrid Theory" and "Meteora" shaped and defined the time period(s) during which they were released, far more than any other LP album. They've been the poppiest and most succesful of the band's whole discography - they nailed it and became part of the pop zeitgeist/culture of the early 2000s.

Avo and Sasuke like this.
    AmbienTisCool

AmbienTisCool Curry

is everything pop now lol. the first 2 albums were nu-metal.if it was pop then basically most of all music falls under pop

minuteforce

Nu-metal and alt-rock in general was a big component mainstream pop at the time, roughly the same way subgenres like trap and future bass are dominant now - and, besides that, both "Hybrid Theory" and "Meteora" are chock-full of pop hooks. That's part of why they sold so well and succeeded against other nu-metal releases at the time. You don't sell that well without the general public on your side, and your music is pop if that happens.

In the present day, the line between what's pop and what isn't is blurred more than ever, but that's a slightly different discussion.

Avo, Sasuke and brady like this.
    AmbienTisCool

AmbienTisCool Curry

but it sounds nothing like other 2000 music, its like taking some random total edm song and saying its the same genre as everything else in 2018