Star Wars

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Delicious Dave, May 1, 2014.

1. Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Why didn't Holdo just fucking tell Poe her plan?

brady likes this.
  2. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I loved this. The entire overarching theme of "expectations versus reality" was very well done. Will probably be seeing it again tomorrow.

brady, Gibs and Halfway Dwight like this.
  3. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

THE LAST JEDI

Eh.

The more I think about it, honestly, the more I dislike the story and the decisions made in this movie. It's different for sure, and it takes risks. But there were a lot of asspulls and uncharacteristic, tonally inconsistent weird moments that weren't exactly the good kind of risks. Also felt this movie kept dragging on for no good reason. Probably could've lost like 15-30 mins of this and still have kept the same story. Ultimately, the experience, as a whole, was pretty unsatisfying to me.

6/10

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Hybrid likes this.
  4. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

INITIAL THOUGHTS:

Cliches, convoluted plot, and sidetracks. When you think the movie is getting somewhere you spend another 15 minutes on that subplot. And the number of buildups and plot twists is unbearable to the point that it becomes boring. Anything that wasn't Kylo, Rey, or Luke was pretty disappointing.

That aside, without the final act I liked it enough. But it would have been so much better if the final part was lopped off entirely.

It's better than Episodes 1 and 2. That's all I can say right now. I can appreciate the risks taken but that doesn't equate to quality automatically.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  5. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Still need to collect my thoughts on the film, but I really, REALLY loved it. I did have some mixed feelings on some aspects of the film, but the massive outcry I've seen against this film is rather ridiculous.

6. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I've just realized that TLJ is in many ways the movie equivalent of what the NJO book Traitor was trying to do in the old EU. That explains why I love it so much.

7. LP Soldier 01

LP Soldier 01 True LP Soldier

Very solid movie overall. I'd rank it 8,5 or 9/10. Some scenes were very predictable while others were a bit overdone and those could have been cut out or done differently, but the Star Wars movies seem to require 2 hours and a half every time. The movie had a lot of fun and even the predictable or overdone scenes kept me glued to the screen the whole time. The movie has a great replay value as well so getting the DVD would be a good thing.

Michele likes this.
  8. Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

My ranking should say enough.

Attack of the Clones
    The Phantom Menace
    Return of the Jedi
    Revenge of the Sith
    The Force Awakens
    A New Hope
    The Last Jedi
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Rogue One

9. LP Soldier 01

Worst to best or best to worst?

10. Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

It starts with Attack of the Clones, so clearly best-to-worst :kappa:
    It’s worst-to-best

11. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

I am unsure about the movie. The great things in the movie are maybe one of the best in the entire franchise, while the bad things seem to be worse than Jar Jar :lol: Maybe i need to watch it a second time.

Captain-EO likes this.
  12. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

It's a real shame the movie flew over the heads of so many people

Captain-EO likes this.
  13. Gibs

Just finished my second viewing. I can honestly say I love it a lot. Even some stuff like the Canto Bight material doesn't bother me that much. What I love about it, among other things, is how it made the force interesting again. The idea that the foce shouldn't belong simply to the jedi, and that heroes can come from nothing, is so great.

1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. A New Hope
    3. The Force Awakens
    4. The Last Jedi
    5. Return of the Jedi
    6. Revenge of the Sith
    7. Rogue One
    8. Attack of the Clones
    9. The Phantom Menace

As the list suggests, I do still like TFA better than TLJ. Though TLJ has much more interesting themes and plot developments, TFA is a damn fun movie with such forward momentum, even if it does lean into Star Wars tropes a bit too much.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  14. Halfway Dwight

Halfway Dwight We are the fortunate ones.

I loved the movie. It's beautifully shot and it has some of my favorite moments and scenes from the saga.

I feel like the characters were developed in an interesting way and I can't wait to see where they go next.

I did have some problems with it, but they are mostly nitpicks.

1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. The Last Jedi
    3. Force Awakens
    4. Rogue One
    5. A New Hope
    6. Return of The Jedi
    7. Revenge of The Sith
    8. Phantom Menace
    9. Attack of The Clones

15. Gibs

One thing that just occured to me is that the film never addresses who or what the Knights of Ren are. It’s implied in both TFA and TLJ that some of Luke’s former students are part of it, but there’s been no concrete information. No doubt that’s something JJ Abrams will explore in episode IX.

Captain-EO and Halfway Dwight like this.
  16. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Fuck Rose. What a superfluous character.

I watched Rogue One tonight. God damn great Star Wars film that I feel often gets overshadowed because it isn't an "Episode #" movie.

17. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Yeah, agreed. I like her backstory and initially was interested where they'd go with the character, but quickly stopped caring. I read an interview with Rian Johnson where he explained the limited screentime for Phasma and he said there were too many characters to include more of her + she simply didn't fit in the story he wanted to tell. I wish he simply didn't do the Rose story and focused on Phasma's story more, since that storyline was already connected with Finn. Finn's story's so lackluster in this movie in comparison to TFA.

Same goes for Poe's story. I don't feel like I know him better at all.

Captain-EO and Nicholas like this.
  18. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

He's almost a complete afterthought.

Even the idea of him abandoning ship seemed out of character for him.

Captain-EO likes this.
  19. LP Soldier 01

Him, Rose and Phasma are a bit filler characters, but they're not enough to downgrade the quality of the movie that much. The scene of him and Rose near the end is quite enjoyable, though. BB8 is really close to Poe in the story, but is a much better character, at least most BB( scenes make me laugh a lot, much better than the Jar Jar scene I watched on Youtube. I have yet to watch 5 movies, though, but the latest two are much better than the 1977 movie. To me in TLJ both the battle scenes and the fun scenes were amazing. Plot-wise it was better than TFA, but some of the characters like the aforementioned ones could have been more developed, but the flow of the movie would be shattered that way while needing to have way more than 2,5 hours.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  20. Dekar

Dekar swimmingsmoke LPA VIP

The YouTube channel offers a lot, but I think this 360 experience of a SOLO scene is worth posting.