The Legacy of Chester. Did we take him for granted?

Discussion in 'Chester Bennington' started by mmmmtastycookies, Jul 24, 2017.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

We all took him for granted in the sense that we knew he was hurting - he always has been. Instead we ignored it. Not that there was really anything we could do as fans.

Evan and Gravity_LP like this.
    StrictlyJohnD

StrictlyJohnD Go Texans & Rockets!

So I'm starting to think that I did take Chester for granted. After hearing and reading the stories of how he was the really laid-back dude, I can't help but feel envious that I never met him. Those who actually did should consider themselves blessed.

kcg and Evan like this.
    Mysticliz

Mysticliz Well-Known Member

My daughter has also refrained from listening to LP .... she finds it hard..

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I have been working on remixes of LP songs and original tracks that use samples of Chester's voice, and I haven't had any kind of issue doing that. I suppose that's all in the context

Carla

Carla Well-Known Member

I took for granted that we would always have his voice and words, his goofing around and seriousness.

Evan, Gravity_LP and Blake like this.
    Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I did too honestly

Mysticliz

Mysticliz Well-Known Member

I think everyone took it for granted he'd be here for a good number of years .... like with everyone that dies younger than at a ripe old age.....

You don't expect them to die that's where the shock comes in... and the denial... the disbelief....

Gravity_LP and Blake like this.
    insanefanboy

insanefanboy RIP Chester Bennington

Yes as I've admitted I took him and the band for granted.

Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

I don't think I took him for granted. I always admired him for his personality and talent. I even scoured the internet for all his Camp Freddy and Kings of Chaos performances (which were some of his best performances ever) :)

But I do regret not signing up for the M&G in Amsterdam last month. I was to chicken to meet them because I was afraid that I wouldn't know what to say and I also wanted a place near the barricade. Oh how I wish I signed up for the M&G :cry:

_cam_

_cam_ Well-Known Member

I'm guilty with this. Prolly for 2 years. When you were thinking back then that the band will always be there and just continue making music. Who would have thought this.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I think the only way in which I personally may have taken him for granted is that I always would say to people who didn't like a new LP album: 'If you guys don't like the latest album, just wait until the next album...the band will change their sound anyways.'

I suppose I always felt that the the band as they were (six members with Chester) would keep going on, and make music until they were in their 50s and 60s. That even if Linkin Park broke up for whatever reason, that we'd still have solo work from Chester for decades to come.

I remember saying the 'just wait till the next album' as recently as this year. Never thinking that OML legitimately would be the last new Linkin Park recordings that we ever hear with Chester. Now anything we hear with him in it will just be 'previously unreleased' material. Insane. Definitely took for granted that he'd make music till old age.

Gravity_LP, Sasuke, Nicholas and 6 others like this.
    iamsatan

iamsatan Well-Known Member

Definitely thought he'd be around for a lot longer and still touring like Paul McCartney. I also didn't think I'd ever cry over a celebrity and especially over someone I never met.

For sure I took Dead by Sunrise for granted, I haven't listened to it in years, never really got into it, enjoyed Fort Minor more as far as side projects go. I listened to it a few times since Chester passed, some damn good screams on there.

kcg

kcg Well-Known Member

I definitely think a lot of people on this forum took Chester and the band for granted. For years, people here have been bitching and fighting over which era of their music was better. Up until this tragic event, there was such an irritating elitist mentality from some people on these forums. There was a lot of knit-picking over their live performances not being good enough, Chester not being a good lyricist, Living Things being too "Linkin-Parkified", The Hunting Party sounding too forced, and there would be a lot of arguing between old school and new school fans.

Since I started lurking these forums during the A Thousand Suns era, for every nu-metal fanboy whining about how the band sold out, there would be comment after comment bitching about how bad Meteora was, how Somewhere I Belong was the worst song ever, how immature and angsty their older music was, and how anyone who didn't think each new album was the greatest thing since sliced bread were just immature nu-metal fanboys who didn't want the band to evolve, which always turned me off to coming here. You can call that last part a strawman all you want, but that's essentially the message I and probably many others received from reading these forums between the release of A Thousand Suns and July 19 of this year. The snotty, elitist vibe from some people on these forums just got under my skin a lot.

Since this terrible event, the elitism has definitely disappeared and we have all come together like never before and opened up about our personal feelings in ways few people did on this forum before. No one is getting laughed at for expressing their love for the lyrics on Hybrid Theory and Meteora anymore. There is definitely some more appreciation for Crawling not just here, but in conversations across social media, as it is no longer an "edgy" meme, but a legitimate cry for help from Chester. So many hard rock and metal news outlets who made fun of him and Linkin Park when he was alive are now showing appreciation for his vocal talent. The Nine Inch Nails fan community is being more kind to Linkin Park's music as well.

I always considered Chester to be at least one of the best singers of our generation if not of all time. Now, I think he will be considered one in the years following his death. He will definitely go down as the Layne Staley of nu-metal/alt-rock.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    kcg

kcg Well-Known Member

Oh, and speaking of Layne Staley...

Derek, today I just remembered something you said back in 2011 when Linkin Park did an interview with The Guardian. You said how glad you were that Chester avoided going down the path of Layne and managed to sober up and overcome his demons.

https://www.lpassociation.com/forum...-but-were-not-celebrities.34394/#post-1065472

Just revisiting that thread in hindsight is absolutely heartbreaking.

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Listening to the albums again, I remember my first reaction to all of them and each being really positive. Somehow, I let my love for those albums become jaded with cynicism and smugness because it's just the nature of being an LP fan. I regretfully learned to pick apart the songs and elements ruthlessly just because the albums weren't new anymore. I do feel guilty about that a lot. Not sure if anyone understands. I was pretty aware I was doing it too but didn't think it was wrong, for some reason.

Now I've gone back to just loving the albums for what they are instead of picking them apart for the sake of criticism. That type of criticism isn't healthy, no matter how much I initially thought it was. It's not constructive or honest.

mmmmtastycookies likes this.
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

To be fair, I think the band kind of did that too :lol:

Doridorica

Doridorica Well-Known Member

I regret thinking he'd always be here because he had overcome so many issues and went through many depression episodes he openly talked about. I thought he was strong and got help he needed. This feeling appeared after I read an article in Kerrang that at the press conference he told the press he was contemplating suicide not long before OML was released. It was a piece of information I really didn't need to know, it feels surreal.

mmmmtastycookies

mmmmtastycookies Not black & white, only organized confusion

The purpose of the OP: Chester was a living legend. Not sure we classified him as such at the time. It's easy to think this way in hindsight but it's true.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Wow...I got chills reading that comment I made. I don't think I had any clue 6 years ago that this reality would ever be possible. I truly felt that Chester had made it through. Heartbreaking.

King Mainos

King Mainos Member

Hey Guys, I made this video and music to remember Chester Bennington. More 2 come. Please subscribe if you want to see more and share this video. Leave a comment and free to share this forum on my youtube channel.