Linkin Park's New Album 'One More Light' Has Leaked

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, May 17, 2017.

1. Hasnain

Hasnain Member

Love the snicker Chester gives on this line on HR:
    "I just laughed because what do they know"

2. chris2

chris2 Smiling At Strangers On Trains LPA Super Member

So far it's really good. Poppy, but still inherently LP. I love the subtlety of Brad's guitar. It sounds so warm and really adds to the songs.
    Now I kinda regret having overlistened Heavy and Battle Symphony prior to my first full OML experience. Now I feel like skipping them :hmm::D
    My favourites so far are Talking To Myself, Sorry For Now, Invisible (I love Mike's singing on both songs) and Sharp Edges.
    The latter one because I love folk/country oriented music (Frank Turner, Hank III, Brian Fallon, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys)

Sa6o_dfg likes this.
  3. dontFindOutMe

dontFindOutMe Well-Known Member

One More Light is one of my favorites of the record. But I can't play the song over and over again without getting depressed.

4. MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

This album is awful except for OML,TTM and ill throw in GG. Linkin park turned pop and failed miserably, took a risk and its gonna bite them in the butt.
    The songs on this album are just slow, boring, and put me to sleep. I listened to this album 5 times already and its just blah. Their worst album by far. At this point everytime they make a new album they should change the name of band.

5. Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

FUCK OFF HATERS

Lord MSG and Head.Cars.Bending like this.
  6. SkullDevil217

SkullDevil217 Dork Of Ages

Now, now, let's not get too hasty here.

Besides, MattLP made up his mind on OML long before the album was released.

7. linkinloch

linkinloch Well-Known Member

My favorites are:
    Talking To Myself: Love the energy on this song!
    Sorry For Now: Linkin Pop is real, Linkin Pop is great. DEAL WITH IT! Coolest song they ever written.
    One More Light: RIGHT IN THE FEELS!! Oh fuck I want to cry
    Battle Symplony;
    Invisible;

Halfway Right, Sharp Edges and Heavy are the weaker ones imo.
    Good Goodbye is a cool song, but, is not an outstanding.
    Nobody Can Same Me had some potencial, but suffers for being way too repetitive.

8. Meteorain

Meteorain Well-Known Member

This might be my last comment, or among my last comments, for a while. Few thoughts.

I'm starting to feel/realize that nobody sees this band or their music the way I do. I can see how this may come across badly and I promise I don't mean anything negative by it. In fact, I'm the weird one. Not the first time I've felt like the only one about something or other, and I've learned by now that more often than not, I'm in the minority, so I don't ever mean to insinuate that anyone else is weird or there's anything wrong with them. It's really hard to explain and I'll update that notion if I find the words for it, but it's becoming harder to ignore or not feel like there are things I see and hear or see them and hear them in a way that others just don't. I actually thought when signing up for this board, after not seeing anybody in daily life or who I've ever met that sees it close to how I do, that I might find at least a couple people here who did. Then again, it's not ultimately important to have people see things the same way as you do, and I know that. The one person who's come the closest to this isn't really in my life anymore (don't mean that to sound as 'sob story' as it seems, it's not a big deal or anything. The person didn't die)

I haven't listened to the leak, but this thought process has rung true for basically all of their past work, as well as the first four songs from this album (I don't count six like some do, because yeah, you have a good or even really good idea of what the song will sound like from hearing it live, but to me you still haven't heard it unless you've heard the album version. For better or worse, I've heard live versions simply sound different from album versions, several times). But even going off of say, Invisible... I haven't read a comparison or description on here yet that I agree with. Descriptions and especially comparisons to other bands or other songs out there often just fall flat for me, I've only semi agreed with one comparison I've ever heard out of the like million that have been posted, so I'm at the point where comparisons in general are virtually pointless. No offense, that's just how I generally see comparisons for the most part.

I've enjoyed the insights from @Minus on this album more than I haven't, as I admit, there were a few previous vibes from his posts over the last while that didn't give me the best impressions. But I also admit that I don't know him very well, so there's that. I can assure you/him there weren't any snap judgments based on those unfavourable things I saw, but maybe for the first time I'm seeing more of how he sees the band and their music, and even the parts I didn't agree with, I can still respect.

I could be wrong and hopefully I am, but I feel like with the mass amount of comments in this thread for the leak, the thread for the official album release will pale in comparison, comment/activity-wise, which would be unfortunate. I know it's tempting to listen to a leak, it is for me too, and I won't pretend I'm the master of willpower when I pretty much rushed to hear all 4 official pre-album releases, and I even took a listen to live versions of Talking to Myself and One More Light. Hopefully there's still some here who have something new to listen to on May 19, though.

Either way, I hope, as it's been mentioned by others, that everybody gives this album a fair and honest chance. Multiple listens, headphones, surround sound, etc. I've already heard underlying sounds that make me disagree with the idea that the instrumentals are flat-out boring, in the first four songs, and I have no doubt I'll find the same touches in the final six. I hope everybody gives it the same discerning ear, as I feel the band deserves that much, and I also think as fans of the band yourselves, you owe that to yourselves as well. I think for the most part, and correct me if I'm wrong, but at least the majority (vast majority?) of people here have liked more of Linkin Park's now 86 studio album tracks than they haven't liked.

Thanks for reading. Happy Linkin Park Week, and Day in two days, and enjoy the tour if you're attending.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  9. Keyboard Warrior

Keyboard Warrior Well-Known Member

Sorry For Now would be so much better without the chipmunks after the first chorus.

10. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Which song are you referring to?

Meteorain likes this.
  11. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Linkin Park you did what felt impossible to me. After Heavy, Battle Symphony, Good Goodbye and even Invisible to a degree, I figured and accepted that One More Light just wasn't going to be for me. But then...

I had the widest fucking smirk on my face by the end of Sharp Edges.

This album is fucking wild.

12. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Blue

I think he means Crawling's chorus was basically taken from Blue's bridge

Sasuke likes this.
  13. Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

I am coming around on this album.

Didn't honestly enjoy my first whole listen through so much (despite a few songs).

But as Minus said, these tracks are deceptively complex. I am finding more and more to enjoy on this album. I am constantly finding little well thought out pieces of instrumentation and the album as a whole actually flows nicely.
    The lyrics are a little hit or miss for me. Some of the tracks have great lyrics throughout, but some of them have bridges that could've been worked a bit more on.

The second half of the album is where it shines for me right now.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Head.Cars.Bending and Minus like this.
  14. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

*fist bump* You get it. Thank you.

Atticus likes this.
  15. Yurieff

Yurieff Meow. :3

It's safe to say I have given OML about 5 or 6 full listens by now.
    It is absolutely delightful. I'm in love with its synth-driven atmosphere.
    Even though the instrumentals sound simple at first, you can notice quite a lot additional elements, if you listen closely.

Standout track for me is Sorry for Now. It is probably the best song they have written in the last 10 years, in my opinion.
    The only thing I dislike is the lack of at least one more rap verse by Mike. And the 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger' lyric in Sharp Edges. Well.

Overall rank for OML among all their albums:
    ATS > OML = LT > MTM > THP > HT > Rebecca Black: The Greatest Hits > Meteora

16. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Holy cow, Sharp Edges is FANTASTIC.

I have now heard all the songs and just need to listen to the album front to back.

Good album.

17. Meteorain

Meteorain Well-Known Member

Blue? By who?

Deliveranze likes this.
  18. Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

Love it! only problem I have is that I wish there was more hiphop.... :/

19. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

There's so much to this record beneath the surface of the promotional singles. It's not perfect by any means, but there's so much more than generic pop to be found here. The lyrics on some of these tracks were truly commendable, and I literally got chills listening to the title track One More Light. This fucking band just knows how to get it done!

KYLE! and Meteorain like this.
  20. linkinloch

linkinloch Well-Known Member

Ow god, you really hate Meteora that much? :rofl:

Lord MSG likes this.