Linkin Park Perform Good Goodbye On Facebook; Mike Debuts Second Verse

Discussion in 'News' started by Hybrid, May 3, 2017.

Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Agree, he sounds like a legit rapper when he puts emphasis on the syllables. The deep emo rap "flow" was awkward and was never really rhythmic, especially on songs like Somewhere I Belong, where he sounds like an amateur.

UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

Feels like they're gonna shorten songs for a setlist with more songs again.

Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

God I hope not. LITE pumped me up when they started it and I'm pissed they fucking ended the stream right after. Regarding Good Goodbye though, I think it sounded pretty good. I really liked the way Mike rapped both verses, especially the second verse, which was pretty good. Even though Pusha T's is probably my favorite on the studio version, I enjoyed how this one builds on the first one, keeping the most exciting part of the song between verse 2 and chorus 2 (IMO). Chester sounded pretty good on the first chorus but a bit muted on the second, but that's probably because the band plays louder and uses more instruments on the second chorus (I think? if not it could be the camera guy being too close).

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Honestly I have to disagree. To me, his newer raps are far more rhythmically repetitive (GG, AFN, etc.). I agree that they are also definitely more lively/animated and I get why people dig that, but personally I'm not a huge fan of the style (for example, the way he raps "done", "fun" and "from" at the end of the verse is really annoying IMO).

I still enjoy his rapping, don't get me wrong, but it's the only element of the band that I personally think has gotten worse over the years.

Alexrednex and Deliveranze like this.
    Deliveranze

Fair enough.

I'd say topically he's more limited than ever, but to me, his rapping back in the day was more stagnant and repetitive to me. On Hybrid Theory is was cool thanks to his rhyming structure but 2003-2005 will always be the worst rapping from Mike imo. Every verse seemed so trite in LP, and there was (besides Nobody's Listening and Figure .09) very little internal rhyming. Even the shittiest rapper can put intentional internal rhymes. Fort Minor was a bit better (best subject matter Shinoda has ever covered too) and he has some great verses. (Spraypaint and Ink Pens) But once again fell into the same trap he did on Meteora for most of his verses. On a studio album release, his best rapping comes from HT, MTM and LT, I think.

Iopia, Jmuuh and Alexrednex like this.
    InStereo

InStereo Well-Known Member

Actually, if you look at the rhyme structures of his newer stuff, I think his rapping really improved.
    Eg. "SIB" which has been mentioned in this thread is really weak:

I had nothing to SAY
    And I get lost in the nothingness inside of ME
    (I was confused)
    And I let it all out to FIND
    That I'm not the only person with these things in MIND
    (Inside of me)
    But all that they can see the words reVEALED
    Is the only real thing that I've got left to FEEL
    (Nothing to lose)
    Just stuck, hollow and aLONE
    And the fault is my own, and the fault is my OWN

There is just one syllable rhmying at the end of each line, while the rhymes themselves are very generic and there is only a single rhyme for each word.
    Good Goodbye is superior:

LIVE from the RHYTHM IT'S
    Something WILD, VENOMOUS
    Enemies trying to read me
    You're all looking HIGHLY ILLITERATE
    BLINDLY forgetting if I'M IN THE MIX
    You won't FIND an EQUIVALENT
    I'VE BEEN here KILLING IT
    Longer than you've been aLIVE, you IDIOT

And it makes you so mad
    Somebody else could be stepping in FRONT OF YOU
    And it makes you so mad that you're not the only one
    There's more than ONE OF YOU
    And you can't understand the fact
    That it's OVER AND DONE, HOPE you HAD FUN
    You've got a lot to disCUSS on the BUS
    Headed back where YOU'RE FROM

The rhymes have more syllables, plus he he's not only rhyming the last syllables of the lines. With the first lines he keeps rhyming to "rhythm it's" until "idiot" but also keeps the rhyme to "live" and "wild" which is pretty nice. He also keeps These rhymes for the second verse and picks up on that rhyming "Genesis", "emphasis" etc. on the first lines of the first verse.

There is similar stuff on THP while on HT and Meteora it's more or less like with SIB. I like the fact that he is aiming for more complex rapping like with High Voltage in the past although a lot of fans are not aware of that.
    That being said, I do not like the song but I love the rapping in it.

Deliveranze and Sasuke like this.
    Tony Fields

Tony Fields I believe in Pictureboard

My dream is to hear the flow like Part of Me or The Hard Way had. These rhymes are the best ones Mike ever delivered IMO.

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Not saying Somwhere I Belong has world-class rhyming in it (it's actually my least favourite song on Meteora), but you missed a lot of rhyming (although a lot of it comes from repeating words which is lazy, I'll admit). Even still, ignoring the lyrics themselves and just looking at the rhyming and flow, it all contributes. There are a lot of subtle rhymes in there that I actually quite like (lost/all, see/veal/real/feel, just/stuck, hollow/alone). Anyway:

I had NOTHING to SAY
    And I GET LOST in the NOTHINGness inSIDE of ME
    (I was confused)
    And I LET it ALL out to FIND
    That I'M not the only person with these THINGS in MIND
    (Inside of me)
    But all THAT they can SEE the words reVEALed
    Is the only REAL thing THAT I've got left to FEEL
    (Nothing to lose)
    JUst STUck, holLOW and aLONE
    And the FAUlt is my OWN, and the FAUlt is my OWN

Glancing through GG though you missed a few rhymes as well, so I'm not saying SIB has better rhyming, just saying it has more rhyming than you let on. ;)

Deliveranze likes this.
    InStereo

InStereo Well-Known Member

Well, I do not consider these rhymes.. and if I'd even claim them to be existing by accident :D

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

I mean not to be rude but they absolutely are rhymes, and they're without a doubt not there by accident. :lol:

Half rhymes matter, I'd even argue that subtle and clever slant rhyming takes a lot more skill and sounds a hell of a lot better than coming up with 5 words that rhyme with "Genesis".

Deliveranze likes this.
    Deliveranze

Begun the Rhyme Wars has. :lol:

Iopia likes this.