Possible theory about OML

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by rocker94, Apr 17, 2017.

rocker94

rocker94 Well-Known Member

I have read an interesting theory about the change on their music to pop for this new album, one more light. I don't know if it's true, but...

With THP, they got into who they should not. With the hand that gives them to eat: Discography/Warner. They chose Guilty All The Same as a single when the song openly criticized the "business" of music (especially in Rakim's rap).
    Warner in this case, decided not to give money for the video or help to the single with promotions and left them literally alone, forcing them on the other hand to get a new single (this choice of the discography): "Until It's Gone." The band on the other hand protested and didn't like that choice and is why the video is so "simple". Finally the group would end the cycle of the album with a single agreed between the two parties: "Final Masquerade", where there's a certain collaboration on both sides in the official video.
    At the end of the THP cycle (as they didn't sell what they expected largely because of Warner's lack of collaboration and promotion) they decided to take a turn and make peace with Warner. That's why Mike has had to swallow his words that pop it's shit. "One More Light" will be an album by and for Warner, so that promotion and promotion base will bring them back to the forefront of the music industry and talk about Linkin Park again.

According to this theory, the album after "One More Light" will return to the rock sound because they will have more popularity and more freedom to do what they like.
    As I say is a theory, it may also be a "Lulu" type of Metallica or they have really want do this new sound or direction of the group.

What do you think about this?
    PD: Sorry again for my bad english

freddurst

freddurst I DID IT ALL FOR THE NOOKIE

I disagree with the theory. I think Mike just wanted to get in Kiiara's pants. He did it all for the NOOKIE!!!!

blackout., brady, Sasuke and 2 others like this.
    @LP2K12

@LP2K12 Est. 2K12

I think Linkin Park is going to do what they've always done. They're going to put out the music they want to put out and sometimes they just don't know how to describe it well.

I think "Welcome" was largely a big hint at where Mike's sound was at the time. He dropped it under Fort Minor because it made sense, but that production and sound is what we're hearing on OML.

brady and Iopia like this.
    Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

This is a common theory going around lately and it's actually nuts. I don't think the label is forcing them to do a certain type of music when I don't like it or because it's pop.

brady, Sasuke and @LP2K12 like this.
    Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Exactly. If you remove THP from the equation, the move from Living Things -> Recharged -> Welcome -> One More Light makes a lot more sense.

brady and Sasuke like this.
    Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

100% sure that the sound of OML (30% so far, the album is not even out yet to really judge it lol) was LP decision not warner's. Shinoda is a huge indie/hip hop/modern pop fan look at his Spotify playlist. so the popisch sound was not really a suprise if you had followed the band very closely.

And I think those theories are just waste of time. and come mostly from their oldschool fans who are traditionly pop haters which is so ironic because HT/Meteora are just 2000s Pop with powerchords.

Halfway Dwight and Avo like this.
    chris2

chris2 Smiling At Strangers On Trains LPA Super Member

I think it's pretty simple. They wanted to make a Pop record, because they felt like it.
    I don't think the label told them to tone it down after THP.

TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

Do you genuinely believe that this 'theory' is true?

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

This theory holds no validity. Mike has stated in the past (during an LPA podcast I believe) that the label has zero control over the music they make. This is just silly.

TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

Once you have a theory of how the thing works, everybody wants the next thing to be just like the first

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Aside from the 2005 incident and rumblings that they weren't going to have ATS finished by the deadline, has there been any evidence of anything resembling a bad relationship between WB and the band? To hear some of you talk sometimes you'd think it'd been nothing but nearly twenty years of the two sides despising each other and thinking up ways to take jabs.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Err...if WBR was upset about Guilty All the Same, they could have just refused to release it. They don't control the music the band makes, but they do control the product they're selling to the public, and if one of their artists hands in material that they're opposed to or don't think will be profitable, they're under no obligation to spend part of their marketing budget on it. See: Reseda Beach, Holly Brook/Skylar Grey.

Nope. There's literally been zero indication that LP has had anything but an amicable relationship with WB ever since Tom Whalley retired, yet there's still this bizarre faction of "WB IS THE PUPPET MASTER AND LP ARE SLAVES" conspiracy theorists who are still insisting otherwise over a decade later.

@LP2K12 likes this.
    BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Come on Astat, we all know you're also a puppet of Warner, hired to point out guitars where there are clearly none just to keep the fans of the nu-metal around hoping for hybrid theory part 3 :kappa:

Avo, Halfway Dwight and Sasuke like this.
    Virgocore

Virgocore Well-Known Member

I don't agree with this theory at all. The band have always had some pop influence, even from the early years of their career. I wouldn't go as far as to call Hybrid Theory or Meteora pop albums with power chords, like said above, but they certainly had somewhat of a pop influence with some of their stuff in the old days, for sure. Minutes To Midnight was the first album to stray away from the ''old sound'' and it had some poppier songs, but they were basically pop rock, and the whole album wasn't pop anyways, it had tons of experimental stuff like TLTGYA, HHH, IB, IP, etc. A Thousand Suns wasn't pop at all, it just didn't sound like the Linkin Park that the fans knew at the time. People seem to think anything that isn't super heavy is pop, which isn't true. Living Things was their poppiest album before One More Light, for sure, but it still had some experimental sounding stuff as well. The Hunting Party obviously wasn't pop, but I'd say Until It's Gone is extremely poppy. They also worked with Steve Aoki during those two albums. Basically, we knew they would make a pop album sometime in their career, and this is it. I think Mike genuinely likes that kind of music and he wanted to make a full on pop record, similar to how they made a full on rock record with The Hunting Party. Do I like the new music? No, but I haven't liked the band's music starting with A Thousand Suns, so the genre isn't the reason I hate it, I just don't like the music, I didn't like The Hunting Party either and tons of the old fans did.

We know the label didn't like the idea of The Hunting Party, but at this point in LP's career, I think they have free reign to do whatever they want, and have since they ended their label battle in 2005. I'm sure the label LIKES the fact that the band is making a pop album, but I don't think they had a say in the creative direction of this album.

Ghoul

Ghoul Member

I don't think there is much truth to the theory. LP are of a size and point in their career where they could easily go independent or sign with another label. They don't need to appease Warner.

Modern Guitar God likes this.
    The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I don't agree because if you look closely at their career, a pop album will be more than inevitable coming from LP. When ATS and LP came out, I kinda told my friends that the next thing they should do is either a full-blown pop album or a straight-up EDM album to silence the haters (I didn't know better then, forgive me), and soon enough Recharged and OML came out. Yes, the fact that Warner didn't like GATS as the first single was true, but OML can't be commercial compensation for THP. When they compromise, they compromise on their own means (Living Things being a prime and public example). I think the pop sound came from both their external songwriters & producers and their new lyrics-first approach. The band has said that even they were surprised with the way the songs turned out.

The only thing we're unsure about is either Warner would be relieved that they're going a mainstream pop route or they'll be even more nervous that they're gonna alienate a large portion of their fanbase.

Modern Guitar God likes this.
    Doridorica

Doridorica Well-Known Member

Seeing how happy they're when talking about OML and new songs I really don't think there's any truth in it.

UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

Again, THP happened before OML so there really wasn't anything left to discuss...