Rock Sound Interview: Chester Discusses One More Light, Personal Struggles And More

Discussion in 'News' started by Ree, Mar 20, 2017.

Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

It's kind of funny how you really have no clue about how the band is doing on a personal level. I thought Chester was in a great place in 2015, but it turns out to be the complete opposite. I like that he's so open about it because it makes him so much more relatable and it kind of makes the music feel more genuine.

Great interview :)

Evan and Breno9712 like this.
    Tony Fields

Tony Fields I believe in Pictureboard

I had the same hopes for the Messenger :(
    But we had The Catalyst before it - the epic closer before the poscscriptum :)
    Anyway, I also hope Sharp Edges will be the killer.

My thoughts exactly. Talking to Myself tops my OML anticipations list. The title track is in the position two.

Adam's review for Nobody Can Save Me left me intrigued, especially after him saying that it's his 'favourite LP song' up to date, even topping Burning in the Skies.
    After some recent news drop I really want to hear Good Goodbye featuring Stormzy and Pusha T.

ADDED: about the interview - it was a pleasure to read. Really good one.
    I'm also really happy to see the Rick Rubin's heritage in their creative process :D

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    warriorathlete21

warriorathlete21 Well-Known Member

Who is Adam? I'd be interested to see his comments on nobody can save me.

I agree, their album openers have been great for the last several albums. (Keys to the kingdom at a slightly lesser extent)

My most anticipated is a tie between one more light, talking to myself, and nobody can save me.

I'm also very interested to hear invisible since it's sung by Mike.

Hell, I'm anticipating anything from Mike because we haven't heard him at all so far.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Adam used to work directly for Linkin Park, and now works for WBR in their marketing dept.

ciao_fiv and Tony Fields like this.
    jdanek630

jdanek630 Well-Known Member

Honestly, she was a very nice addition to POD's "Goodbye For Now"; granted, that was 12 years ago.

minuteforce

That's a matter of branding, really. Katy Perry's probably a versatile enough singer to work with an LP production on a musical level but, in terms of branding, you can't imagine it would click.

When she sang on that one song with P.O.D, she was an entirely different kind of artist. Different image, different audience, different everything.

One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

Yeah back then both P.O.D. and Katy Perry were very about that religious motif (I think P.O.D. still are but not 100% sure on that one). So thats why I guess it made sense at the time, but even now I doubt it would work.

minuteforce

Yeah, well, now, as I've said, Katy Perry has a whole different thing going on :lol:

Tony Fields

I think all of their openers are great. Great picks for each of the album. Not saying the same about the closing tracks - I'd personally prefer Pushing Me Away to be in the middle section.
    You mentioned Keys to the Kingdom, I think it is really badass and gives a taste on anything you can get from this album. Yes, I love The Hunting Party :D

SkullDevil217

SkullDevil217 Dork Of Ages

Glad to know that all you guys took from this interview where Chester opened up about his past issues is "durr, let's criticize Linkin Park songs even out of context, because hatred is the only emotion we feel and we don't care about Chester's shitty past lol". That's not disrespectful at all.

Time to add more people into the ignore list. Even RebelTraj wasn't this bad.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Wonder how long until album previews come out?

Tony Fields

I hope they never come. It's better to get the whole album without any previews.
    A Thousand Suns ones were some kind of spoilers to me.

Petar likes this.
    One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

I do hope we don't get previews but like something that LT had which was some kinda prerelease livestream of the whole album.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

People need to both see and realize that just because they think a song sucks, or may think that the lyrics are corny...that another person could have an entirely different opinion or personal connection to the song.

Case in point, lyrically I relate both songs to my life within the last 12 months. Heavy I relate to how my world came crashing down when my father passed, and how everything seemed to continuously go wrong for me in the months that followed. I can relate to the 'world is out to get me' line, because that's what it seemed like. I struggled with depression, and what that song discusses matches my feelings to the tee.

Battle Symphony I relate to as well. It's coming up on a year that he's been gone, and that song relates to me in the sense that I am beginning to work on picking myself up, and bettering myself. That I don't want anyone I care about to lose hope in me, because while I may have struggled these last 12 months, I am working hard to become a better person.

So...in short? Some see cheesy pop songs, I see very relatable personal anthems.

ciao_fiv, Breno9712, Abel and 8 others like this.
    Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

This interview, or at least the portions I read from here, gave me considerably more hope for liking the album overall.
    I can't say that I will become a fan of Pop music itself after OML, but reading about Chester opening up about his difficult past points to the album being quite honest, perhaps blunt, on an emotional and psychological level.

Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Yes! and that's why I love music. it's one of the rare things that can put a smile in your face and makes you forget the crappy world for a couple of minutes. :)

Abel likes this.
    Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I used to listen to every snippet and every preview before albums came out, but this time I am done with just listening the two songs in advance. I will hold myself until the whole thing is out.

IIRC I think I tried to do that with MTM too, I had preordered special edition with t shirt and everything. But my CD got backordered and I had to listen to it somewhere else once it was out :lol: It took about a month to arrive.

Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

Some people prefer to talk about the music, other people care more about the band members, I don't see how it's disrespectful to have an opinion on Katy Perry. I mean I don't know if there's context on whining about the new songs, I'm just saying this specific comment is no reason to get so much upset.

frezer86 and Iopia like this.
    hybrid1988

hybrid1988 Fever Daydream

I like you.

I have no interest in the bands personal lives. It's none of my business (lol). I skipped over commenting about Chester's personal life because I respect him enough to not reduce his life to talking points on a fan site. Instead I posted a silly meme to take a jab at the conflict between fans who like the new material and the fans that don't. I preemptively took that quote and ran with it before someone else did. Apparently by doing this I've greatly disrespected Chester. *shrug*

I'd never knock someone for connecting to music. I only ever speak from my point of view. I think that personal connection is so strong with some people that they feel criticism of a song is criticism of their feelings and emotions rather than just a comment on the music itself. But, you see this with everything from sports teams to video games. It's a bit of a bummer sometimes that it's so hard to maintain discussions through disagreement online.

But I digress. Glad you're doing well. Keep on keepin' on brotha.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I won't quote anyone, because this is just a generalization of this album cycle:

Dislike whatever you want. Nobody here has a problem with differing opinions. I think where it becomes an issue is when some users post as if this is the comments section on YouTube or Facebook. It's not, this forum has been around longer than either of those platforms, and in my opinion, we should be holding ourselves to a higher standard to have better discussions here.

When it doesn't happen, when there's direct disrespect and trolling just because you don't like something, then there seems to be an issue.