Random LP Chat

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by lime treacle, Apr 20, 2014.

1. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Just from memory, I'm fairly sure a good number of sounds duck against the kick, like the main keyboard at the start

2. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Haha don't worry, I agree with you on most things as well but I'll accept that this one's not the most common opinion to have. I'll try to explain anyway.

Honestly I've never cared if a song is written to be an interlude or a "full song". I don't really make that distinction. Many albums are made and broken on the quality of their interludes. Two of my favourite albums of all time are Hurry Up We're Dreaming by M83 and The Wall by Pink Floyd, both of which show just how important beautiful, short interludes are to the overall album experience. It doesn't really matter to me if a song is 30 seconds long or 20 minutes long, if I adore every second I'll consider it a favourite. And personally, I simply like every second of JDM more than the majority of the band's catalogue, so whether it's an interlude or not has never really come into the equation. I just like it more than other songs. It doesn't matter to be that it's largely instrumental, since I love instrumentals, and it doesn't really matter to be that it's short, since total length doesn't really change how much I enjoy each individual moment in a song, which is what's important to me.

(I'd even go as far to argue that since Linkin Park songs are so short *anyway*, and since most of their songs are so repetitive, there's a comparable amount of unique musical development in JDM to many other Linkin Park tracks (for example, One Step Closer is only a minute longer, but much of that extra time is the exact same chorus repeated 3 times), but that's beside the point, since as I said above, length isn't an issue here).

Basically, TL;DR, I totally get that it's not a full song, and no, I'd never really listen to it on its own as a song (mainly because 95% of the time I only listen to full albums anyway :lol:), but to my ears it's just one of the most enjoyable and memorable tracks they've ever put out.

...that was longer than I expected. :lol:

3. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

From 00:29 to 00:50.

I Don't know how it called :p. (that swelling thing?)

4. Malvar

Malvar Well-Known Member

Looks like some reversed synth.

Edit: I reversed it on audacity and it's a reversed sound.

5. Meteorain

Meteorain Well-Known Member

Sad that anyone believed it, but yeah, some did.

6. Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Yeah, sounds like there's a gate on the synth that's sidechained to the kick, so when the gate opens on the kick sound the synth drops and then swells back up.

LP's been using Drawmer DS-201 gates for a while for their sidechaining ("key in" as its labeled on the device) capabilities - we have 4 of them in the studio I work in at school, they're great. Another noteworthy case of them using them is on Lies Greed Misery, where the gate on the guitar track is being triggered by the staccato synth samples so the guitar sound cuts in and out rhythmically with the synth for a kind of "killswitch" effect.

Iopia and Sasuke like this.
  7. Sasuke

Thanks. :)

8. One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

@Astat, always delivers. Perfect post 5/7.:kappa:

In all seriousness though. I love your "technical" posts man. So awesome.

9. Sasuke

He's actually Mike Shinoda. :kappa:

10. One More Rob

Sorry for the weird question, but does anybody know where to find the full audio (incl. interviews) for the Kevin & Bean Breakfast show from 2010? Sorry if this is not allowed here, I don't mean to cause trouble, but all sites that claim to have it use outdated links etc.

11. Sasuke

Mike Shinoda on troll mode. :rofl:

12. One More Rob

Mike had too much waffles again I guess.

13. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Next cycle: four-song live sets.

14. One More Rob

I was watching LPTV videos and LPUTV videos again and I just thought, wouldn't it also be cool to have more LP members sing in the future? If watching thouroughly we can find out via backstage videos and the like that all but Rob (we never had the privilege to properly hear it) are damn good singers

15. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Well, i always hoped for Brad singing on another track. But i doubt it will come with LP7 </3

Iopia likes this.
  16. Meteorain

Meteorain Well-Known Member

Don't worry, I'm also guilty all the time of long posts... here comes another! (probably)

I totally get what you mean, and I wasn't meaning to suggest that a song's length alone should determine how "real" it is. More just the way Jornada sounds, is written, etc, how the end of it ties so well into the opening of Waiting for the End, but hey, you agreed it's an interlude so I don't really need to go too deep into that talk. I'm not entirely sure I agree that interludes can make or break an album, but I do agree that when they're used, how they're used, can definitely drive up their importance. For an album like A Thousand Suns, a concept record, they're not only important but I can even agree that for that album, if they weren't good or made no sense or sounded like crap, it definitely would've at least tainted the album as a whole.

I agree too that the most important part is just how much enjoyment you (the listener) personally takes from it, and that it comes before other factors, like if it's technically just an interlude, if it's short, etc. I also see why you like the track, as I do too. I also usually love instrumentals in general (some stuff LP has released on Underground albums was so good I made a mixed CD from it).

Linkin Park may have a few repetitive songs in their catalog... but none as deliberately repetitive as Jornada lol. Just saying. Also, while I certainly respect your opinion, it's still hard to wrap my head around the idea of loving Jornada "more than most of the band's catalog" as you put it lol. But hey, to each their own :)

--------

UNRELATED :

Might be a stupid question, but if you preorder directly from www.linkinpark.com and thus are handed a free digital LPU membership, but you're already a member... do they just tack it on to the end of your subscription? So if your membership is set to expire on say April 15th 2018... does this extend it to April 15th 2019? I really hope so, and I would think so, but I didn't feel comfortable just assuming.

Does anybody know for sure?

Iopia likes this.
  17. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Definitely glad I'm not alone with that haha. I really love your posts man, keep it up!

Glad we largely agree then, even if I'd consider the role of interludes far more important to the quality of an album. But I totally see what you mean, since even a lengthy interlude (say, 2 minutes) is literally only around 40% of the run time of Iridecent or The Catalyst, so from a pure "amount of music" perspective, they're far less important.

:D

I'd argue that JDM has almost zero repetition, but we're talking about slightly different things here. I think you're talking about repeating a melodic or rhythmic phrase (for example, how the synth riff in Numb is repeated over and over again in the intro), whereas I'm talking about repeating an almost identical chorus or verse multiple times in close proximity. I'd argue that even though the intro to Numb "repeats" a riff, the intro itself isn't "repetitive", since it's a single, isolated section that develops a musical idea (namely, the riff is repeated, but since the music evolves around it (by adding electric guitars), the intro never has any point where we're hearing something exactly as we heard it before).

With exactly the same reasoning, I'd argue the repeated vocals in JDM don't make JDM "repetitive", as the song takes the musical idea and develops it forwards, adding more and more layers before the synth solo carries the song to it's end. Basically, even though one element (the vocals, which I'd go further and say aren't even the main element of the song) repeats, the fact that the overall music doesn't repeat (by virtue of it getting louder/more intense during the first half of the song) means that the song overall is non-repetitive, as opposed to a song like One Step Closer where each chorus is pretty much exactly the same as the last, with no major difference whatsoever. To use an example of a song with a chorus, In Pieces likewise "repeats" the chorus, but since the dynamics in each chorus is vastly different to the last, I'd argue that the song is far less repetitive than OSC.

Trust me, I totally recognise that it's a more unusual opinion, but I can't change what I like haha. :lol:

Avo and minuteforce like this.
  18. One More Rob

Btw is it actually a well known thing/fact that the intro of Blackout contains reversed excerpts of the Blackout Freestyle that was "previewed" in the LPTV episode of the same name?

19. Sasuke

Yes! :)

20. HybridT

HybridT Well-Known Member

Very dissapointed with how Heavy is charting. It fell down to the 82th place in the Hot 100 :(