LPAssociation Interview - Mike Shinoda Discusses New Linkin Park Album 'One More Light'

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Feb 21, 2017.

wattmatters

wattmatters Well-Known Member

Man, was Mike lying all the way to us?

Mike quoted several times that Heavy is core to the sound of the album while in the 92.3 AMP Radio Chester said Heavy's sound was eccentric as compared to rest of the songs.

Mike also lied about his rapping stuff.

What in the world is going on LP?

UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

Mike said less rapping, not no rapping.

Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

More vocal features? :think:
    Oli Sykes, Jared Leto, Megan James, Eminem :awesome:
    Let me dream :cry:

AThousandLivingThings

AThousandLivingThings Well-Known Member

"I used to get high with the dead end kids / in abandoned houses where the shadows live."
    Now that is more what I expected, gives me chills just reading it!
    I want this album noooow :bounce:

UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

I would shit my pants if Jared Leto actually sang on this record.

Sasuke likes this.
    Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

In Between is so underrated. Love it's chill vibe. I like No Roads Left but my ITunes version is weird.

One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

Mike said both actually. One that Heavy is the core sound of the record but in the next interview he said theres various styles on the new album.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Dude, if Oli Sykes had a feature I would go insane!

I'll go as far as say In Between is one of the better tracks on Minutes to Midnight

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    Iopia, Deliveranze and Sasuke like this.
    Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Cool interview :)

Well, I get Mike explanation about the direction switch and THP rethoric, but still. When you make almost contradictory statements with your art in such a short timelapse, it will always come across as weird.

I guess the big mistake was the name-calling about the pop scene in 2014. Saying "We just feel like making hard rock right now" at the time would have make things much easier to digest now. But it would have been less provocative/buzz-worthy.

Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

I quite like BMTH, but there is nothing Oli Sykes does that Chester can't do much better imo. His voice is pretty much shot anyway, it's very weak live. Same with Jared Leto, can't see what he could bring that would genuinely be better then Chester or Mike from a vocal perspective.

Zain and Bane like this.
    Evan_5397

Evan_5397 Well-Known Member

Kind of unrelated but I hope they have LPU summits again for this album cycle. Might be something worth asking the band.

Stino LPLeaks

Stino LPLeaks Well-Known Member

If Oli Sykes worked together with LP on one of the songs, that would be awesome!
    That said, I do remember seeing a picture of Blackbear in the studio with some working titles in the background. "Sleepwalking - Lost At Horizon" was one of them...

Sasuke likes this.
    Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Derek, I appreciate the fact that you asked the question about The Hunting Party.

I do not appreciate his answer.

It was an artful deflection, and in no way accounts for the kind of bullshit he was spouting at the time. Yes, Linkin Park is a versatile band and every album/"art show" can and will be very different varieties. But that's not what was going on. Mike didn't simply say "we wanted to make a heavy rock album, so we made one." He specifically called out bands **WHO NEVER CLAIMED TO BE ROCK BANDS IN THE FIRST PLACE** and derided them for being too pop. Going as far as to insult them with petty name-calling like "disney commercial music," and in the case of Foster The People, actually insulting Mark Foster because he used to write jingles for advertisements. He used a person's job they did to make a living, before being in a band, to put the band down.

He used good people as punching bags in the public eye to try to score points with the *rawk* crowd to sell albums, and then tried to blame music bloggers for the whole thing.

It's pretty clear now that Mike has absolutely no interest in taking responsibility for, or even acknowledging, what he did. He'd rather pretend like it didn't happen. Honestly, fuck him for that.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

That Halfway Right lyric is what I was hoping for. Using actual words like "kids" and "houses" that aren't "something" and vague non specific words.

Petar, RapidGunner and Deliveranze like this.
    Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

I can't help but read your post and think of High Road haha

But I'm trying to be bigger than the bickering
    Bigger than the petty name calling
    Under-the-breath talking
    Rumors and labels and categorization

Oh the irony Mr. Shinoda :kappa:

Deliveranze and Gravity_LP like this.
    drackslayer

drackslayer Well-Known Member

The guys take what Mike said at the time of the THP very seriously. It seems to me something very simple: MARKETING. JUST IT.

Now they want to do something lighter. It's simple, you do not have to complicate it.

Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Goddamn. There has been worse things said by other artists and we are acting like Mike said the "biggest insult" ever. I mean, Mike did fuck up with wording his thoughts at the time but it's been 3 years. It's pretty impressive that they really never insulted anyone else over that time and it's not like Mike hates those bands anyway.

Halfway Dwight likes this.
    Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

"Rock music has gone this direction that's basically become indie pop jingles. It's, like, songs that could be on Nickelodeon, Nick Jr. and Disney channel. And I feel like I can't see myself writing music that's, like… I don't wanna follow that trend. Like, forget it."

“There’s so much music out there; there’s so much stuff that sounds like Haim or CHVRCHES or Vampire Weekend that I’m full."

“The thing I’m hungry for is not that. I turn on the rock station in L.A. and it sounds like Disney commercial music. And I’m confused by that. The dude from Foster the People was literally a jingle writer. No disrespect, but for me to make that stuff was kind of out of the question.”

Here are the quotes. OH how brutal /s

brady likes this.
    Flozuki

Flozuki LPA VIP LPA VIP

Good interview. And I am pretty sure that we can hear a short snippet of the "collaboration" with Blackbear in Mike's current instagram story ;)

Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

At the time I found it a bit embarrassing, cos it made Mike sound like one of those bitter, washed up used to be big in the 00's rockers who feel the need to call out current artists in order to sound semi relevant. That's not him, that's not LP. They aren't like Fred Durst.

That was 3 years ago though, so it's long gone and I'm not sure why people want to keep on dragging it up. Everyone shoots their mouth off and says things they might regret, sometimes without meaning too or being misinterpreted. People need to get over it and forget about it, it's not a big deal. Mike has also said that he's a fan of those artists. He's a decent guy, so lets let this one go.

The Joesen One, brady, Bane and 3 others like this.