Linkin Park - Heavy feat. Kiiara Lyric Video

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Feb 16, 2017.

1. SkullDevil217

SkullDevil217 Dork Of Ages

Yet again, another example of generalizing criticism. Truly, when people here are criticizing a few others who really don't like Heavy, it's totally because they're all nu-metal fanboys.

Truly sir, you've hit the mark. It's truly not because they're acting like babies about it at all.

wattmatters likes this.
  2. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

The reasons why I think this track is alright and definitely not bad.

1. For better or for worse, at least in this song, Chester sings in a completely different manner and that's very exciting. It's something LP fans wanted for such a long time and its exciting to see him try new styles. I personally liked the way he performed this song.

2. The inclusion of a female vocalist. This is a big thing. Sure right now, a lot of people are gonna associate having kiiara in this song with LP going pop. But I feel in the future, a lot of people will look back to this and respect the band for the step. Not gonna expect old LP fans to like it even then tho. She does a fantastic job as well.

3. The music. As much as there was nothing new in this musically, I liked the quiet start and the music that came afterwards. I think what we got was much better than the preview we got in that video with Mike and Rob. That sounded like a typical LP song and I'd have been disappointed if we had gotten that. I'm glad they didn't go that route for the most part.
    I know some are complaining about the music being too simple. But they made a simple song. It's not required for every song to have complex drums or guitars. They clearly wanted people to focus on the vocals.

4. The melody. The chorus for this song is just so catchy that I was so surprised. I totally did not like the melody when we got the previews. But it grew on me so much that I'm so pleasantly surprised.

What I don't like
    1. The length. It's a simple song and I feel the band could have done much more with the song had it been longer.

2. Nothing new musically. Yes, I did say I liked it music-wise. But I also mentioned that there was nothing new in it. We have heard this sound from LP before. Although this is a reason why I cannot fathom the hate for this song. People treating it as if we have not heard this before when we so clearly have. It's why I feel kiiara's appearance in this song just triggers people automatically.

3. Chester's vocals at the very beginning. I feel this sounded off and didn't fit well. Everything else with the vocals was pretty great.

Sasuke likes this.
  3. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

He literally said "I don't know why all these rock bands from the early 2000s are still trying to make music." If that doesn't scream bias against the band, idk what does.
    Then he said it sounds like an Imagine Dragons song, a comparison that makes no sense.
    Then he called an EDM song, which makes even less sense.
    His argument was as strong, maybe even weaker, than some YouTube comments hating on the song.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Iopia, Alexrednex and wattmatters like this.
  4. wattmatters

wattmatters Well-Known Member

best.jpeg

"HEAVY" number 1 LP bestseller on iTunes right now surpassing "In The End" & "Numb"

5. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Sure Heavy isn't LINKIN PARK's best song, by far not. but it still catchy as fuck and had one of the best/catchiest choruses in their discography. and vocaly is one of their best for sure.
    simple musicaly yes! too short yes! groundbreaking no! BUT THIS IS LINKIN PARK. writing catchy (again) stuff is their biggist strength. and i'm sure that OML has a lot more to offer than Heavy from every aspect. :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Osaka and wattmatters like this.
  6. wattmatters

Yes! I agree. The vocals and Rob's drums are really good on this.

I'm looking forward to OML.

Osaka and Sasuke like this.
  7. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Whoa whoa...is this all time or just this week? And are you sure it's 'ranked' down below and not just random? Because if it's all time and ranked by download count...the significance of that cannot be understated.

8. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

That's a funny gif! Now respond to the remark.

You know the biggest demographic buying rap music is white men too, right?

9. wattmatters

Its all time man. Thats insane.

best2.jpeg

10. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Maybe. But I've seen the "oh, you don't like it because you just want guitarz/screams" too often alrady. It's just getting old.

And. Might you not appreciate my comment, I might as well tell you I don't appreciate your generally condescending tone. But have fun :)

11. wattmatters

I just realised what we were told through the teasers...

teaser 1. PIANO A basic Piano melody in the song
    teaser 2. HONESTY The theme of the song expressed in a straightforward manner
    teaser 3. LYRICS A continuation to HONESTY expressing the simple nature & theme of lyrics
    teaser 4. RISKS Mike discussed about poppy stuff and making it sound like LP (The sound and loops of the track)
    teaser 5. DRUM IDEA Rob was introduced to the song to give Live Drums to the track
    teaser 6. FEMALE VOCAL IDEA Joe pitched an idea about a female feature to give the dynamic the song needed (Chester already recorded the whole track himself at this point)
    teaser 7. CHESTER VOCALS A different style of the singing was portrayed by Chester
    teaser 8. KIIARA She is chosen alongside Chester and Mike instructs her

Heavy Trailer - Several teasers are combined here and Phoenix is shown recording with a guitar. (Live Bass on the track)

We knew everything all along.
    Mike, you genius bastard.

Osaka and Forfeit to Break like this.
  12. Joshua

Joshua is Mr. "to many Mind"

Concerning the variation of the discography, here a short illustration:

Some artists have a very homogenous discography, they improve only slighty every record and change only some nuances. That's like when you build a wall and every year it's getting thicker, more imposing etc.

But Linkin Park are different. When they build a wall, they say, that it is the most beautiful wall they ever made. But after a time they want some changes. So they completely destroy it and build a new wall and so on.
    While they destroy it they sing:
    "We're building it up
    To break it back down
    We're building it up
    To burn it down
    We can't wait
    To burn it to the ground"​

At the same time, Chester adds:
    "Destroyer!"

:halfkappa:

wattmatters likes this.
  13. wattmatters

hahahaha! that was super funny man!

Joshua likes this.
  14. SkullDevil217

SkullDevil217 Dork Of Ages

There have been a few posters throwing the "people don't like it because nu-metalz lol" card, I'll give you that. But they're not the majority here.

Go back a few pages. You'll see people expressing their negative opinions on Heavy without looking like they're throwing a fit.

15. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

All jokes aside, I really think that Linkin Park are trying to make music for everyone to enjoy. For instance, if you don't like the sound on one song or album, you might like the sound on another song or album and that's completely okay.

Princess Neptune likes this.
  16. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

The only thing I know is that this is one of the most widely discussed singles on here in a long time. 71 pages, and the song only came out on Thursday. That's pretty good. We do usually get a lot of posts in a 'single release' thread anyways, but it's still great because the song has people 'talking'.

17. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

Although having "a light that never comes" at number 6 probably shows how low LP iTunes sales are.

18. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Quote from his Y U No Review June 2012 video: "I do think that Linkin Park are up there with Rage Against The Machine in that they are way less gimmicky with it [rap rock], than other bands were....are legimately with real sincerity and passion trying to bring these two genres together." Although he did say that he doesn't care for Mike's rapping skills, but he is definitely not hating them. I'm sure if Heavy was a great song, he would acknowledge it.

19. Joshua

Joshua is Mr. "to many Mind"

@Hybrid: i didn't post that in a negative way. I have basically no problem when they change directions. Actually i like "Heavy", although there are some parts which could be better.

Hybrid likes this.
  20. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I know dude. I was just using your quote to make a point. :)

Joshua likes this.