New Chester Interview: "We have begun mixing"

Discussion in 'News' started by Filip, Dec 4, 2016.

1. thor

thor Well-Known Member

What I'm interested the most with this new record more than anything are the lyrics, melodies and vocals. They've always begun with the intrumental part first and add the vocals later so it would be interesting to see how it is this time around. I'm always hyped for a new LP record but, I think I may be more hyped than ever.

2. freddurst

freddurst I DID IT ALL FOR THE NOOKIE

I hope they don't bring back the guy who mixed Living Things. His mixing was horrible.

3. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Yeah, I have to say that was probably one of the biggest disappointments. I remember that a few of us were really excited when he was named as the engineer, as Manny Marroquin is actually quite a fantastic mix engineer and normally would've been a great choice for an LP record. But then we got LIVING THINGS and the album was a muddy indecipherable mess. We couldn't even really hear the strings that they made a big deal about on I'll Be Gone.

The issue is where to put the blame. The mixing, the mastering, or the band. Brian Gardner's master of Dr. Dre's '2001' is credited as one of the first hip-hop records to enter the Loudness War. But then I realized that he's mastered pretty much EVERY Linkin Park album (with the exception of THP) and LT is the only album that sounds rough the entire way through. So it was probably a bad mix by Manny, and Brian did the best he could do with the crap mix.

It should be stated though that both Meteora and parts of ATS suffer from clipping issues at parts (and he contributed to both those records), so who knows who is really to blame here. The mix on LIVING THINGS could've been dog shit, or the mastering could've introduced some clipping after the fact. Or it could've been a depressing combination of the two and a failure all the way around. Who knows.

Sadly, quite a few of LP's albums have had brickwalling issues. Really hoping the band (and label) understands that winning the 'Loudness War' is not an achievement, and that they focus more on dynamics than 'loud' sounding music this time around. A really good and well written album, could seriously be destroyed by a shitty mix or master. They spent 66 weeks on this record...they should spend a decent amount of time making sure the final product is flawless.

Sasuke and Nicholas like this.
  4. Vinifeijo

Vinifeijo i'm dancing with matt damons

I wish i could hear all those mixing/mastering details. I simply can't understand what you guys are talking about. I have to train my hearing, i guess.

5. The Free Element

The Free Element Well-Known Member

A bad mixing can kill a really good live song. If you want an example, compare the first live play of Coldplay's Up&Up and then the studio version.

6. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

At least we all agree that "Midnight" sounds good

7. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Probably one of the reasons it remains a favourite of mine. It's super crisp, especially compared to the first two records.

Deliveranze likes this.
  8. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

It's really incredible to me how well MTM has aged.

9. Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

It's also just crisp because there's far less layers to it than most of LP's discography. It's also why WFTE sounds like it was mixed so well. It wasn't muddied by too many super different sounds

10. minuteforce

"Waiting For The End" is a fairly busy song, though, I think, especially in the climax.

11. Derek

Agreed. It may be sparse in the beginning but about midway through, once the bass and drums come in...the song gets fairly busy.

12. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Every song on ATS is overproduced (not in a negative way :lol:) except The Messenger.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  13. Derek

They're a bit chaotic yes, but they're all (for the most part) very well mixed and mastered. The only track I feel could've spent a little more time getting mixed was The Catalyst. It's a fantastic song, but an absolute muddy mess at parts.

Captain-EO likes this.
  14. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Pretty sure that word has a negative meaning in and of itself.

15. Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Agreed. Though in my opinion that's where the mixing of the song weakens the most. And I think the song generally is very well mixed.

16. Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Weren't there like a YT video where some mixing engineers and music producers discussed the craft of Waiting For The End?
    I love the mixing and production on ATS overall. Especially WFTE is just a masterpiece IMO.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  17. Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

If this is out there I'd love to see it. Hearing other people talk about mixing interests me because I have to do it myself for all of my own music.

18. minuteforce

If you're talking about this, it'll cost you. There's also this article but it talks about the bridge more than the final section.

TheInterframe likes this.
  19. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

There was an episode of Pensado's Place on Youtube where they talk specifically about mixing of Waiting For The End, but I can't find it anymore...

20. minuteforce

I linked it earlier, it's behind a paywall now.