Martin Garrix premieres new song featuring Linkin Park at Ultra Music Festival Miami

Discussion in 'News' started by Filip, Mar 19, 2016.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Finally got around to actually listening to the track. Pretty great stuff. Hopefully a studio version is on its way soon.

Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

I don't know if I've ever been so hyped for a collab track from the band.....

crazygolfer

crazygolfer Well-Known Member

Mike's vocals sound really good, and I'm digging the beat, but the only thing I don't like is the length of the song. I hope what was shown live isn't the full track cause I feel like it isn't fully fleshed out, and is a bit short.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

It's most definitely not the full track. Most DJ sets have abridged songs to allow for a varied and constantly energetic set.

It also helps that this is the world premiere/sneak peek at a new song, of which Martin debuted many during this set. Why play the full version only for that live rendition to instantly hit the internet?

Migueltorres

Migueltorres Well-Known Member

Putting this on repeat over and over !! Am i the only one ? The vocals shit over half of the THP ones IMO

Avo

Avo Don't Stop Running

Yeah as another person who prefers Mike's voice over Chester's, I'm loving this.

Dayz

Dayz Now or Never

The song after that is also good too!

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

I have mixed feelings about what we've heard from this song. On one hand, I really like the vocals and melody. On the other, I just can't get into the instrumentals as much.

The reason for this is that I am not a fan of EDM in the slightest, though I do like certain types of electronic music.

That said, I do look forward to the full studio release of this song.

Lastly, I find it interesting that some on this site actually prefer Mike singing over Chester, given that Chester has been the frontman for so long. While I agree that Mike's voice is pretty good, I think it mostly fits songs with a somber or mellow mood. I definitely prefer Chester's more varied range and emotional display. It's true that Chester's vocals were much more raw in THP, though that aspect of the album was entirely on purpose. Stripping away most of the effects that usually accompany Chester's vocals really allowed us to get a glimpse of his actual voice, rather than a near-perfect studio effects voice that we've been accustomed to. This is all my opinion, of course. Again, I totally get the appeal of Mike's singing voice, even though I prefer Chester's for his aggressive rocker sound.

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

I just tend to like deeper singers in general, for me, there's a certain heavier timbre that I love when listening to Mike that's not there when Chester sings. And as you said, Mike's voice fits the band's mellower work, which is the side of the band I much prefer. Obviously I still love Chester's voice, and he's very much the better, more diverse singer, but every time Mike has sung on a track it's been a highlight for me.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I redirected my LPA bookmark to lead directly to the forums, so I didn't even know about this till today. Not bad, I hope we'll hear the full track soon.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Check "New Posts" every time you visit, that's what I suggest. :) I haven't seen the front page in a long time

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Or activate Twitter notifications like a normal person. :sleep:

polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

Weirdo.

---

Anyway, on second thoughts, it's a catchy song but I don't care for it. It doesn't feel any special to me. But my taste is weird, though.

JonasTheRoman

JonasTheRoman Well-Known Member

Weirdo.

---

Anyway, I completely understand you, your taste is not weird. I mean, the song is kinda nice, from the melody and sound effects side, but the rest feels just meh to me. The structure is - expectedly, to be fair - completely boring and the build up is not really there, so the song lacks energy. I like the mood created by Mike's nice vocals and the soundscape, but the rest is just too generic.

Minus

I feel a lot of the "boring" opinions in regards to how the song is built are unfair, but only because these tracks aren't really meant for consumption the way we are consuming it. First, the sound mix will be terrible due to being on Youtube and second, it really REALLY cannot replicate the feeling of hearing the songs live.

It's like that with a lot of DJ acts and a lot of club hits. Sometimes you don't get the appeal until you're at a Festival seeing them live. Example: That fucking #SELFIE song by the Chainsmokers. I absolutely 100% did not get that song at all when I heard it on the radio. Then I saw David Guetta live at a festival and he played it. The "drop" in that song when you're listening on headphones, or even in the car pales in comparison to being out in an open field with thousands of people and subs that go so low you can feel your hair vibrating.

I imagine this song was amazing live.

iamsatan

iamsatan Well-Known Member

EDM festivals are insane, I totally didn't get the music either until I went to a few, it's basically a massive party with good vibes all around. The production values are really high, some of the best visuals I've ever seen and if you're on substances, good lord what a time to be alive.

JonasTheRoman

JonasTheRoman Well-Known Member

I see. Live this song must be amazing. But simultaneously, there's nothing which makes it stand out from the other songs from that show. Not that it has to, it is even forced by the gapless transitions. But, you know, this song won't be that cool when listening to it at home, which is the place I primarily listen to music. It doesn't help that the song shines live, when I don't listen to it live. Meanwhile, a song like GATS gets me pumped even when I'm alone at home, one just has to play air guitar to that song. :lol:

Like others have said, it's "just" a good, festival-friendly EDM song, but nothing I would personally listen to very often.

Btw, you've really found the perfect example for your point with that Chainsmokers song. :lol:

Minus

Exactly! Like you know how everyone complains that crowds at concerts have become static affairs consisting of taking pictures or videos on their phone? Those people need to go to an EDM festival. Everyone is dressed up, everyone is dancing, and if they're taking videos they're probably still dancing anyways. Like you said, it's a massive party with good vibes.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Not my cup of music. I'm old. Deal with it.

20. abbaslp

abbaslp Fortyoneaxes

Well.....it will be featured on upcoming martin's debut album,he confirmed that he is going to preview atleast 9 tracks from his ultra fest set in an interview..........so its confirmed,watch the vid down here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIKxlKanzhs