LPA Podcast Episode 6: Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

They've had some surprise guests during the HTP tour and 2014-2015 festivals. But I understand what you're saying.

For me, the best surprise guest was always Jay Z for obvious reasons. Like when he showed up for a Madison Square Garden show and Milton Keynes.

Captain-EO likes this.
  2. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Thank you for the outstanding interview. The way Mike was speaking so candidly about everything was impressive. Good to see the band sticking to their guns with Guilty All The Same as a lead single. I could only imagine the uproar of Final Masquerade debuting a "hardcore metal" album. It would have basically been a reverse QWERTY situation.

Here's to an incredible 2016 and hopefully Linkin Park's magnum opus.

3. alee87

alee87 Active Member

Starting my personal countdown to LP7 since its that time of the year where I got nothing much to do apart from home to work and back, at least helps me kill time till next summer :D

4. Modern Guitar God

Still weird to hear Mike call THP "thrash metal" but to each their own. Genre classification can be so benign sometimes.

Captain-EO likes this.
  5. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

When Mike mentioned that he didn't like Easier To Run, I thought that he was going to say because it is a Crawling wannabe/ripoff, and not for being "melodramatic"...

6. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Retweeted by Linkin Park.

Yeaaaaah buddy.

7. Modern Guitar God

I'd say that "Don't Stay", "From the Inside", and "Numb" are a little melodramatic. "Easier to Run" is one of Chester's more subdued and honest performances, in my opinion. Nowhere in that song is he blaming anyone.

Captain-EO likes this.
  8. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

[​IMG]

9. polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

His mom is not Russian? I need some time to process this. :kappa:

That was a great podcast, haha and I've been saying the same thing Mike said about recreating HT. Fans who like that album or a lot of people on here who love ATS and wish they made something like that again don't realize that times are different and the fact that things like the stuff that happened in their life and how they perceived the band and music back then really influences their attachment they had to the album and the band simply cannot recreate that.

For eg. The band grows older and if I may, less popular and like Mike said, the fan at 22 will not care about the same things ten years later so the same album if it comes out now will be less magical. Final Masquerade will hit somebody coming out of a relationship a lot harder than someone who is not in one or is in a stable relationship and so the way people perceive the song will be different and it is not in the band or the person's hands to control that.

Finally, in true Linkin Park fan fashion, I'd like to say,
    COME TO INDIA, MIKE, PLS.

10. LPAA9

LPAA9 Don't eat the yellow snow

Great listen. Thanks!

11. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

Really fun interview, thanks to the LPA team and Mike.

It's a shame "Pictureboard" never leaked like "She Couldn't". Like Mike said, it's obviously nothing special, and I know we talk about it too much on here and I guess it can be annoying, but it's a fan legend so speculation will continue for as long as it remains unreleased.

Also, the idea of them focusing on lyrics first is very exciting. The Hunting Party was a great energetic effort instrumentally/sonically, but lyrically weak. Though, that simply could've been because of the album's genre. I would like to see Mike write more intricate rhymes as seen in "And One" or something clever like "When They Come for Me". He's gotten so much better flow-wise, I know he has the potential to grow so much more as a rapper. With the way he worded it, this next album could be a turning point for the band. Something that once again reformulates what the band is and are capable of.....or just an EDM album ft Martin Garrix and Steve Aoki.

Either way, 2016 will be an exciting time to be a LP fan. 2nd half of LPU 15, insight to the making of LP7, LPU 16, and of course LP7 itself.

12. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

It really could end up being a "Midnight"-level shift lyrically.

13. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

True words there.

14. Modern Guitar God

The Russian thing was always hilarious to me.

15. The Free Element

The Free Element Well-Known Member

Just finished listening to the podcast: great, great job guys. It was really fun and interesting, Mike is really an handsome guy and 2016 looks like a big year for LP!

16. Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

I haven't listened to the podcast yet (I will) but I've been reading through the comments. It's intimate moments like this with members of the band you love (or just like) that can really keep a fanbase alive and continue to grow closer to the band it has supported for so long. Thank you LPA team for making this interview with "Shinoda the Cobra Holder" possible.

Now, the one thing that has stuck out to me in the comments is Mike's choice for his least favorite song. He really doesn't like Easier to Run, at all? Ignoring for a moment that it's from Meteora, an album that has been criticized and joked about even by the band, what about that song does he not like, I wonder? Yes, I did see that Mike mentioned the song being too "melodramatic" but I really think there's more to it than that.

ETR was always a standout to me due to its melody, its darker lyrics, and Chester's vocal delivery, as well as Mike's somber, reflective mini-verses. Perhaps I just think too highly of a song that is not considered a favorite/standout among LP fans and even some band members. If I remember correctly, I think Phoenix once said he did not like ETR, though I'm not sure if he just meant playing the song live. Eh, I guess I shouldn't feel bad about liking a song that may not be popular or well-received by the fans or the band.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  17. Modern Guitar God

I know that Chester loves the song. He's spoken highly of it in LP chats years ago, and even said he liked it on Twitter. I knew Dave never liked the song much but never knew Mike disliked it.

Then again, Chester really doesn't like "One Step Closer" and "Runaway", so there's his rebuttal haha

They played "Easier to Run" maybe 2 times live and stopped because Rob had trouble playing the song. Which brings me to another point. I was wondering if the LPA staff could possibly ask why Rob and Brad don't do social media, if they ever have the opportunity to interview the band members again

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  18. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

It was brought up in a funny way, they asked him if there was any song that he really didn't like on an LP album, and then added "we know Pheonix can't stand ETR". Mike went with that song because it had been just brought up in conversation, and it just so happened to be one of the songs he doesn't particularly like. Maybe if they gave him another minute to think, he might've come up with the same answer, or maybe he would've come up with a different one, who knows. I suppose the point is that he didn't instantly think of ETR, he commented on it because it was on his mind. :)

19. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

It would've been cool, I think, to know Shinoda's definitive least-favourite Linkin Park song but, whatever. Close enough

20. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Also, note that Mike approves of dangerkids, so ha! I get Mike's approval.