The Coldplay thread

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Abel, Sep 7, 2013.

1. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Oh, I try to be good and not download the leak, wait till it comes out. Look how that paid off.

Captain-EO likes this.
  2. Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

My personal favorites right now are definitely Amazing Day, A Head Full of Dreams, and Birds. Up&Up is only "really" good to me because I loved the live version. Studio version doesn't build up nearly as nice and not as great an outro as the live version. Army of One is still pretty meh to me. Not bad but not great. Fun is as it sounds a fun song but just average. I'm still deciding on Hymn for a Weekend. As for X Marks the Spot, it's definitely not coldplay and different but it's kinda weird.

3. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I really like the album except for the title track and "Up&Up". I feel like I've heard "Up&Up" reincarnated in different forms so many times in music history. I like Noel Gallagher's part though. I never agreed with the notion that Coldplay were aping U2 until I heard the title track of the album. It is kind of blatantly derivative of Joshua Tree-era U2, though I don't like saying that.. because I hate being negative even if it's out of honesty.

I never would've thought Stargate would be the ones to bring out the wonderful sense of melody that Coldplay has but they did. "Everglow" is really strong in that realm. I also think that Stargate bought more sophisticated electronic elements to the album that the band didn't pull off as elegantly on their past albums ("Midnight" being one of the exceptions, I love that song).

I really enjoyed that Guy got more spotlight on this album. The basslines are tasteful and infectious. Jonny also did great in creating gorgeous guitar tones that sound very surreal and fantasy-like (cringeworthy description, but I can't think of a better one at the moment). Beyonce also sounds great with the band. "Hymn for the Weekend" shows how versatile she is as a vocalist. I wish "X Marks the Spot" was a full song rather than an interlude or coda. It's interesting to hear Chris sing over that kind of production.

Captain-EO likes this.
  4. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

After a few more listens, A Head Full of Dreams has grown on me a bit. I'd consider it above Parachutes and X&Y, rather than their absolute worst. Up&Up was easier to appreciate once I took it for what it was, rather than the expectations I put upon it.

Captain-EO likes this.
  5. Modern Guitar God

Really liking the Smiths influence on "Birds". I know Coldplay loves them but I never heard Smiths influence on a Coldplay song as much as this, and that's in a good way. They're one of the few bands who are good at paying tribute to their inspirations.

Captain-EO likes this.
  6. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Im liking the album a hella lot.

7. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Been listening to Hymn For The Weekend (thank you BBC) and I gotta say, this song is sooo much better than I expected. I thought I wasn't going to like it based off of the previews, but damn I am in love with this song.

Captain-EO likes this.
  8. Gibs

It's my favorite on the record. So fucking good.

Captain-EO likes this.
  9. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Have you guys ever wondered what Mylo Xyloto would sound like if it was shit?

Buy "A Head Full Of Dreams" on iTunes.

6/10

10. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

The two-month timer has begun. "10/10, best album" is coming. :kappa:

11. Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

And still gives it a secret 6/10 rating.

12. Filip

Yeah, it's alright. But that's it... just alright. You just expect more from Coldplay.

13. Modern Guitar God

I think that over time, Chris just became more fascinated with pop and r&b. It works on some songs really well - other times it can get hammy. I respect that the band does it in a genuine way rather than trying to be ironic or patronizing.

More of Jonny would've been nice, because he's my favorite part of Coldplay. I don't know how gets the sounds he does, without sounding super derivative of his influences. His parts are almost always dreamy or otherworldly, even though he gets made fun of for his lack of technicality in Coldplay.

Captain-EO likes this.
  14. Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Better than Ghost Stories, less filler than MX but it doesn't reach its highs. 3/5.

15. Filip

Yeah, Jonny really has a fucking amazing sound on this record, shame that it doesn't get showcased as much as it should. Also, sometimes, the guitar and bass don't work together, as the bass has this really raw feel to it, while the guitar is so dreamy.

16. Modern Guitar God

I think that throughout the band's entire discography, Guy has pretty much had his bass recorded really dry. I can't name many songs of theirs that don't use a dry bass tone, besides maybe "Paradise" and "Midnight".

I think Jonny's guitars sound even better live. If you watch their concert for T in the Park 2011, he's got a pretty nice tone. He must have an awesome tech or engineer.

Captain-EO likes this.
  17. Gibs

White Shadows maybe?

Captain-EO likes this.
  18. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Yeah, but I don't think you'll be able to say that once Coldplay dive into their inevitable trap and/or dubstep phase.

19. Modern Guitar God

I don't know if that's something I want to hear lol. But then again, this band continues trying radically different things on their albums.

Captain-EO likes this.
  20. Gibs

Random Coldplay thought, but I feel like Don't Let It Break Your Heart is such an underrated track. That song doesn't get nearly enough of the attention that it deserves.

Captain-EO likes this.