The Linkin Park Underground discussion thread

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by minuteforce, May 28, 2015.

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

I'm expecting we get the indie-ish stuff Mike kept talking about working on before deciding he wanted to make more headbangerz. And I'm really excited for these, assuming they are kind of finished and not just some electronic loops.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Let us wait and see. Indie demos would be interesting.

3DU4RDO

3DU4RDO Burning in the Skies

Same here! I really hope we can hear those demos on this LPUXV

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

Or maybe that's what's gonna wind up on LP7..

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

I hope not, unless the demos have radically evolved. Everyone spoke of how uninspiring they sounded pre THP. I don't care if it's softer, but the band needs to be inspired by their music.

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Buzzwords to generate hype. :)

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Mike Shinoda Talks Linkin Park's 'Insipid', 'Uninspiring' New Album
    Music today is too inspiring, says Linkin Park MC

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Seems legit. I can agree.

TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

They'll change it up this year. We'll get a "The Making of THP" DVD

Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

Being honest, that's what I was hearing from a lot of what was said by Mike during the hype train run up to THP's release.

Luckily the album turned out great.

iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Lift me up, Let me go

Honestly, I would love to see more of the Making of THP, although I wouldn't want it to replace the LPU cd, if that's what you mean. However, I would love the see the brilliant minds of Mike Shinoda and Daron Malakian working together on Rebellion, that would be awesome to see!

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Regardless of your blatant sarcasm, I still don't see a reason why they would have scrapped the music they were working on and started over with The Hunting Party material unless the music was less than satisfying. The exact same thing happened with A Thousand Suns.

minuteforce

What sarcasm? I'm not disputing anyone's points here. :)

Elaine

"less than satisfying" in this case simply took to mean "what we (and by we i mean mostly mike probably) weren't looking for at that point in time".

It's a marketing tactic. "What we've got right now is so great, you guys. What we had we weren't inspired by before, but now we're on the right track. VISCERAL."

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

That's certainly the impression that I got as well, it wasn't so much "these are bad" as it was "this isn't inspiring us as much as we'd like right now". In the same way I'm sure (if they wanted to), they could release another albumin the style of HT/Meteora, and it would've pretty much as good as those albums (certainly if they did this directly after Meteora), but that wasn't inspiring to them so they went down a different path. Still wouldn't want them to backtrack and those demos for LP7 (I highly doubt they would), but I'd certainly be excited if they stuck them on an LPU CD.

Elaine

The reason they're not going back to nu metal is because, and not to put words in the band's mouths here, it'd pretty much signify the end of the band, not because they're "uninspiring". That's more "We ran out of ideas and are recovering something we've been saying is dead since 2005 to bank on nostalgia".

Basically the reason they're not doing HT/Meteora style is because Nu-Metal is dead and if they'd released another nu metal album instead of M2M at that time it probably would have killed the band. As far as I can tell, they don't want to be one trick ponies. That's why every album since Meteora has been different.

So, you're right in that they don't want to go back to Nu-Metal, but for the totally wrong reasons here, and they're not comparable to why they abandoned (at least temporarily) the indie demos for THP.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    unity7985

unity7985 Well-Known Member

I agree and disagree. Yes numetal is dead. But mainly because the bands that did it best (lp) are not around doing it anymore. Now I don't think they are not doing numetal because it is dead. I just think they have grown as artists and when they plugin to write that type of music isnt what inspires and gets them excited anymore. I do think if LP released an album like meteora instead of MTM they would of continued to thrive as they are now. I just wish they didn't abandon that style completely after MTM. Even though I didn't love it, MTM showed them using the numetal formula but incorporating different techniques as far as writing,sounds etc etc. Id love to see them take that style now,and do it in the mindset they are in now with everything they learned. Imagine mixing the amazing melody's,odd song structures,weird sounds of a thousand suns with the guitar heavy sound of the early albums? After such a long break from that sound maybe they aren't so opposed to dabbling with it again. Noone did the numetal sound better than LP and even though countless bands tried, I always saw Lp in a league of there own in that regard. They obviously mastered making those type of songs. So why not take what you do best and incorporate it into all the new stuff they do now. I think most would agree that THP was a letdown. The production was terrible,songs were very similar,the riffs were boring and the melody's were definitely lacking. Once the excitement that they were actually using instruments again wore off It was a bit disappointing. Now I do think if they used the production styles of earlier albums including types of amps and guitars it would of helped THP immensely. THP guitars just lacked any punch or power. As a guitar player that's why I was sad when I saw Brad using fenders on the album. Same guys for mike of incubus. He switched from prs to fender and its really changed there whole sound. Now I know music is subjective and who the fuck am I? The bands do what THEY want to do. Just wishful thinking. :) If i could get either Grecian or the meteora demo that showed brad tracking on the making of metora lptv ( the one with the piano) Id be a happy camper!

Elaine

Because it's been done. What you can do with Nu Metal has been done. That's why it's dead. LP had to move with the times or lay forgotten in irrelevance.

minuteforce

As someone who doesn't like nu-metal, I'd say that no-one has ever done nu-metal "better" than Limp Bizkit, who are still around and still doing it. You're not gonna find better representatives for the subgenre than them.

Linkin Park definitely built themselves upon a nu-metal sound early on but they weren't quite as deep into it as their supposed contemporaries were. In my mind, this is evidenced by the fact that they were able to easily move on and try new things later on.

20. MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

Dont compare durst to shinoda lol, and LB to old LP,
    LP was the best rap-rock band, who listens to LB anymore?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015