The Linkin Park Underground discussion thread

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by minuteforce, May 28, 2015.

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

No love for Primo/Pretend to Be/What We Don't Know/Three Band Terror/I Have Not Begun? :(

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I liked most of those at one time or another, especially "Pretend To Be" in 2010. Now, I don't really care for any of them.

One of my favourite tracks off the LPU CDs, though, is "Halo". But that's not enough for me to Iike the entire disc. :)

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

>not mentioning "Across The Line"

minuteforce

"Across The Line" is, like, one of my least-favourite Linkin Park songs :lol: although I will concede that the bridge is pretty cool.

iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Lift me up, Let me go

I actually love Across the Line, Primo, QWERTY, and Untitled (In the End demo), I listen to these songs every day! Also, Dedicated is my favourite full rap song by Mike.

minuteforce

Yeah, 2.0, 4.0 and 6.0 are still hands-down the best. Unless you're one of those purists who insists on "Hybrid Theory" EP or bust.

Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

I actually think most of the recent LPU CD's have been pretty awesome. Tracks like Across The Line, Pretend To Be, What We Don't Know and Debris tend to get into my playlists a lot more then a lot of studio album tracks. Not many bands put out so many demos every year, and it gives a really interesting insight into some of the work which went into the process of creating albums. LP fans are very lucky to have something like this.

minuteforce

Definitely. Most artists' fanclubs simply don't go as far as LPU, especially when you realise LPU has been doing it fairly consistently since 2001.

And there's nothing wrong with not doing that, but exclusive content that you might not be totally fond of is still better than nothing. Like with a lot of LP-related things, fans tend to take some this great stuff for granted sometimes.

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

I'd view the LPU CDs before LPU 8 as completely different entities to the ones afterwards. The ones you mentioned all feature a whole bunch of live tracks (4.0 and 6.0 only have two studio tracks each, while 2.0 has four), and are all extremely short, all having a run time of less than 25 minutes. On the other hand, from LPU X onwards, only one album has been shorter than 30 minutes (LPU XIV is 12 seconds short of the 30 minute mark), and instead of live tracks, we have unfinished demos. As a result, the earlier ones are stronger "albums", featuring fully worked out, completed tracks only, whether they're remixes, live tracks, or whatever. On the other hand, the later albums are much harder to listen to from front to back as an "album", due to featuring a huge number of uncompleted, vocal-less demos, but feature a greater quantity of unique music you can't hear elsewhere, as well as many great fully fleshed out songs such as the ones mentioned. They're so different, that I don't think it's fair to compare the two groups. While the earlier ones are easier to listen to in full, the later ones have given us a much larger number of new songs.

I knew I forgot one! >_<

abbaslp

abbaslp Fortyoneaxes

i will surely join LPU if LP comes to INDIA!!!...........they shld ask steve and martin bout thies experiences in INDIA.........LPU shld hv diff. offes for diff. countries

minuteforce

@Iopia: to me 2.0, 4.0 and 6.0 are more quality-over-quantity things, with more thought going into the curation. I get your point, just the same :) - just depends on what you like, maybe, or what you value

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

While I agree that XIV was a super disappointment, IX-XIII were all stellar and more than satisfying as a fan:

IX - The band's best B-side in Across The Line, + several amazing demos (Faint, Leave Out All The Rest, Figure.09, The Little Things)
    X - B-sides on top of B-sides - What We Don't Know, Pretend To Be, I Have Not Begun and one of the best instrumentals in Pale
    XI - Hybrid Theory B-side, Crawling demo, and the famous garage jam Esaul demo
    XII - So Far Away, Debris and Asbestos
    XIII - PRIMO + Until It Breaks demos

The quality has been dipping recently though, so here's to hoping XV is something special again.

abbaslp

abbaslp Fortyoneaxes

the fact is that lp firstly gave the best demos of thier albums,as the demos are going in less no. they are giving not so best demos of the past........they cant go in past and again make demos for us............we can expect good but not best cuz they hv already given it........... but we can expect gud demos frm THP :D peace

minuteforce

None of those are actual B-sides, BTW. All of them are unfinished demos left by thr wayside, but I suppose the distinction is unimportant ...

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

Wow, I see how it is, editing and everything...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

I could have swore Shinoda mentioned at some point how Across The Line was the last song cut from Minutes To Midnight for release as a B-side ala No Roads Left.

minuteforce

Oh. Okay

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

I think the production values on some of the demos is so high that it's really hard to make a distinction haha.

minuteforce

Yeah, very true.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

What We Don't Know and Across the Line were mixed by Neal Avron for potential inclusion on Minutes to Midnight, along with Blackbirds, No Roads Left, and the original version of The Last Line (Ammosick). There were 17 tracks that were finished for that album, and with the release of the Mall soundtrack, we now have all 5 b-sides (unless they didn't count Wake as a full track towards that total, in which case there might be one more left).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2015