Dragon Ball Super

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Will, Apr 28, 2015.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

So the second episode is out:

Was a good one thought. Typically Goku returning to Kaios planet :lol: And Vegeta also in his family mode (more or less) :lol:
    Interesting to see again another planet exploding (which will happen every episode ? :lol:) :rolleyes:
    So next episode will be more BoG type of episode... :popcorn:

Vic

Vic No game no life

Yeah most likely, but I'm kinda confused... I thought it was suppose to happen years after Buu's death, so maybe in the next chapter years passed?

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Pretty sure they're retconning stuff here and there. But yeah, looks like next week is gonna be the first in probably several BoG-focused episodes. I expected them spending more time before getting there, but anyways, a time-jump is possible as well. At least this means we'll get to the good stuff sooner, being the post-BoG episodes.

I liked this week's episode but it's definitely weaker than last week's episode. The previous episode was really well-paced, which wasn't really this case this week. I liked the humour once again. I like that they're trying to humanize Vegeta a bit more. If anything, this approach is gonna make him and other super-powered characters more relatable, which they do need to some extent. I also liked the throwback to Vegeta's promise from back in the Buu saga.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

One problem with the series was character development, and I like how Super might be trying to fix that. It's nice, even for just a while to have a look into each characters daily lives. I also really like the whole subplot thing going on, it keeps the pacing really smooth and not boring. The show is going really well so far, they're doing everything right. It's going to get even better once the story opens up more and gets past BoG. Even for BoG, I'm still really excited to see its story expanded upon. I'm most interested in the different universes.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

They could have had all-time great character development with Gohan after the Cell saga. Instead they skipped forward 7 years and threw away the most potential the show ever had.

Michele

It starts to get interesting :popcorn:

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Just watched the first 10 minutes of episode 1 and had to stop. Horrible voice work. I can hardly tell Goku, Gohan, and Goten apart and they all sound feminine. I've had this gripe of the Japanese voices before, but this seems worse. Seems to be a huge lack of uniqueness. Hopefully the funimation dub is released within the next 6 months or something.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Well, for one thing, you know Goku, Gohan and Goten are all voiced by the same person, right? And this person is an old woman so the voice is feminine and has been since the beginning. Regardless, I agree that the voice acting isn't too great, King Kai is absolute shit, they HAVE to get rid of him. English dub would require a while to get licensing. It will happen, but to have it in 6 months isn't really possible.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Goku, Gohan, and Goten have all been voiced by the same female voice actor since the beginning. I'm not sure why they chose to have the characters voiced by a female, but I'd imagine they're all voiced by the same voice actor simply to show off that they're all related, as odd of a reason as that is. Regardless, I know a lot of anime in which male characters are voiced by female voice actors; that's just how Japan does it, and that's how Dragon Ball's always been, too.

Also, as far as I'm aware, Funimation's already got the rights to Dragon Ball Super, but I'd imagine the English dub won't start airing until next summer at the earliest. It took about a year for Battle of Gods to be released in English, but Resurrection 'F' will be released in English after only four months. So...playing it safe, and assuming they won't start dubbing until the initial run of Super episodes finishes, I'd say it'll take around 6-8 months to dub before they get released.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

If y'all want my ratings so far.

Episode 1: 8/10
    Episode 2: 8/10
    Episode 3: 7/10
    Episode 4: 6/10
    Episode 5: 4/10

RANT
    If the episodes keep declining in quality, I will honestly stick to the DBS manga(since it at least looks good consistently and moves at a much better pace).
    Holy shit the animation in Episode 5 were so mixed, I don't remember DBZ ever having such huge drops in quality(case and point: https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/11040374_716876461791657_7318318726617740787_o.jpg). At this point the pacing is horrible and the plot is more or less just a re-telling of what happened in Battle Of Gods, which makes it all feel overdone, rushed and uninteresting. The action doesn't really differ much from the movie(expect nerfing Goku's power), the fighting were so awkward, so slow, so off-model, so derpy, so dis-proportioned.
    The music weren't even exciting(if there were any?). Humor? There weren't much, they toned down Whis and Beerus' characteristics. I don't understand how this got passed to air. if I weren't a DB fanboy, why would I even be seeing this shit? Toei needs to get their shit together - I mean this is Dragon Ball for god's sake, why cut the budget, why rush it out?. If the next episodes continue in this style, I am done defending DBS.
    RANT OVER

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Fuck me, what in the world was up with the animation? Fucking Toei, man. Arguably one of the biggest animes out there and they treat it like this.

Michele

This animations :rofl:

Seriously, that hurts :cry:

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Either the varying quality in animation is intentional to harken back to the aesthetic episode progression of the previous series, or Toei is merely following suit as to how most serialized animation studios in Japan operate.

[​IMG]

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

There are some moments where the animation is quite bad, but overall I think people are being a little harsh on the artwork. Many shots look quite good, and most of the screen caps are from when the characters are a bit further away anyways. They were drawn with less detail at a distance in DBZ as well. Besides, this is just a short battle to introduce beerus, hopefully when the real action picks up (like actual threatening villains) the animation will be of higher quality.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

My opinion seems to be opposite most, I thought this started off like absolute garbage. I get that they are building up to BoG, but the lack of action is pathetic, and the scripting is just as worse. I can only take so much of the stupid small talk about food and other useless shit, fuck this shit if they decide to toss in some stupid episode about Master Roshi eating a bagel or Krillin taking a bath. It wouldn't be shocking in the least bit at this point. This fight with Beerus is better than everything else I've seen, but its nothing more than rehashed material. This show better be going places or else I'mma jump this boat soon and hop back onto GT's ferry.

Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

Wow, what the fuck? This is embarrassingly awful. It's becoming heavily apparent that the show was rushed and poorly thought out. If this episode is any indication of the quality for the rest of the series, then fuck that, I'll just read the manga adaption instead. I heard the anime business is brutal, awful pay, ridiculous work schedules and time constraints, etc. So this at least makes sense. Between the delay of the 4th episode and the quality of the last few, the quality control is all fucked. That's all just the animation, don't get me started on the pacing, King Kai's old ass voice actor that should've been replaced, awful soundtrack, etc.

I don't know how this even got approved, but Toei really needs to get their shit together here. I can't imagine this 50 episodes from now, something's got to give. I mean the animation in Z was awful at points too, but this is a new low. It's like they just said "Fuck it". This show has Sailor Moon: Crystal syndrome. I don't expect every anime to look as good as Redline or Garden of Words, but there's no excuse.

[​IMG]

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I was reading the reasoning behind the poor animation in episode five and it makes sense.

Back when Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, and the movies were being produced, there weren't as many anime series in development. I mean, there were a fair few, but there weren't nearly as many as there are now. That said, there are so many anime series in development now that having consistent animation will always be a problem, because the talent has been stretched so thin amongst the various anime series in production. A lot of people "in-the-know" are speculating that this is what happened to Dragon Ball Super. It isn't that the animators didn't try or were lazy. It's that, for that particular batch of animation, Toei either couldn't afford or couldn't book good animators.

I realize that sounds insane, given that Toei's one of the biggest production houses in Japan, but like I said, that's the speculation. I suppose you could argue that Dragon Ball is one of the biggest and most well-known anime in the world at the moment, and I wouldn't disagree, but if all the talent's booked, there isn't much you can do about it. The only thing that confuses me is why a production house like Toei wouldn't have their own team of animators. That kind of baffles me.

Michele

So after the last, shitty animated, episode E6 is again enjoyable.

Super Sayajin Cook :lol: But yeah, thats all about BoG in the moment.

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Agreed, this episode was way better. Animation was still a bit sketchy here and there but I can't say it bothered me. Overall, they handled everything well. The story especially had some great new moments that were really fucking funny. #Wasabi

Michele

Yeah the wasabi thing :lol: