"Welcome" Fort Minor's Return with First Song in Nearly Ten Years

Discussion in 'News' started by Zane, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Agreed.

2. Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

If Mike dropped Ryu's verse from the song without even giving him a heads up, then that's incredibly rude to me. Ryu obviously expected to be featured on the song (even being in the video and all) and probably only found out that he wasn't when he listened to it the day it was released. In my mind, Ryu and Mike always seemed to be good friends and well, you just don't treat your friends that way. Mike should've at least told him before the track was released (if it all happened that way).

However, Ryu saying it's disrespectful of Mike to use the name Fort Minor for himself is ridiculous to me. I always thought it was pretty clear that Fort Minor is Mike's solo project. There's a reason the tracks on The Rising Tied say FEATURING Styles Of Beyond. Honestly, Ryu should be grateful for the opportunities Mike gave him with that. It's also pretty petty that he didn't just straight up go to Mike with this, but had to air the dirty laundry publicly.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  3. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

As I said When I replied to Krishnan:

We didn't hear that conversation happen. It could have gone either way. After all, Mike went on record saying that he had the idea for the song. Mike knew the direction that he wanted to take it and as a collaborator with someone as picky about their work as Mike is, they should know going into it that their idea to add onto his brainchild might not make it all the way out to the end.

This.

4. polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

That's sounds pretty reasonable to me. I don't understand where in there he slanders Mike or gets dramatic. Styles of Beyond were pretty involved in Fort Minor. Ryu seems to be mislead about it. I remember him saying that Fort Minor isn't done yet. He clearly saw himself as a part of that group. And to be suddenly dropped out like that probably hurts. I really don't think there's anything wrong on his part. All Mike probably had to do was inform him. That's not asking much, is it now?

I don't care much for Fort Minor and Mike is one of my favorite people. But I'm not on his side on this one.

5. Hybrid

So after re-reading things, I understand that Mike asked Ryu to write a verse and that there was no talk about remixes. Was it unfair speculate about Ryu? Yes, I'll admit that. Anyways, with that being said, reading this quote from Mike through the Altwire interview makes more sense to me than ever of why he wanted to do this on his own.

6. Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

I think they both could have handled things a little better. Mike should have probably been clearer with Ryu, explaining things to him before "Welcome" was released and Ryu should have just kept things private between him and Mike.

7. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Exactly.

8. polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

I guess I shouldn't be so harsh on Mike. Who knows what was happening, its easy to blame when you don't know the whole story I guess.

9. Hybrid

My thoughts. You know how to put them into words.

10. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Both are in wrong, for sure. But seeing people jump on Ryu without even thinking is just fucking annoying. For some reason people idolize Mike so hard to the point that it doesn't even come to mind that he too can make mistakes. People who weren't there when the song was produced, people who don't know what was being discussed and was agreed upon in the making of the song. To see people being this closed-minded that they immediately go "fuck Ryu" or "he should shut up", it's disappointing to say the least. Ryu wasn't even that aggressive about it to begin with, as he clarified it wasn't coming out of a place of anger, so the aggressive responses I've seen here towards Ryu are pretty much uncalled for, despite him also making mistakes in this situation.

But at least there are some people who do see both sides. Thankfully.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  11. Bobby

Bobby Yo

This small drama with Ryu or whatever. Mike probably been working the hardest on Fort Minor, writing dem beats, producing and everything. Only thing SOB probably did was writing lyrics for their own parts and that's it. Mike got all the right to keep calling himself Fort Minor :sun: Though I understand the dude as well, I remember hearing someone from SOB suggestiong something about them starting working on Fort Minor once again cause people in youtube comments asked a lot. Was a song on Recharged.

Very well said my homie

Am I the one really enjoying Welcome? It's been on repeat for me since its reliese. Mike nailed it, the song fits my life situation really well.

12. Hybrid

You're not the only one. It too fits aspects if my life as well.

13. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

You're all missing the obvious troll here, FM will drop a new track in the next two weeks Feat. Ryu

14. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I'm enjoying it. It's a fun song to listen to and the video is really fun to watch. I can't really stand behind the lyrics as a fan, though, so the song's close to being a guilty pleasure, really

15. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

What I find odd's how Ryu's suddenly got a problem with Mike using the name Fort Minor as a solo artist, explaining how "Fort" refers to Linkin Park and "Minor" refers to Styles of Beyond, even though we'd always heard Mike's explanation that we're all familiar with...yet he's never bothered to correct Mike until now...? That's the only thing that doesn't sit right with me. It doesn't make any sense for him to suddenly have a problem with the name, when he could've brought it up ten years ago—or any time in the interim.

I think Ryu's grievances over his verse allegedly being cut from the song without his knowledge are just, though; Mike should've told him ahead of time, assuming Ryu's telling the truth. However, I don't think putting this out in the public eye's the best way to go about all this. As someone else said, it's making him look petty and childish.

16. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

17. Brendan

Brendan Well-Known Member

18. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

This song is a grower. It was decent to start with, but it just seems to be one of those songs that gets more enjoyable with each listen. It's very feel good song, and pretty much serves it's purpose as an 'underdog' anthem. Sucks that this may be the only FM track for a while though. I hope Mike reconsiders and makes a new record. This song still proves that a Fort Minor track can be good, even after 10 years.

19. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Yeah, same here. I mean, the song was good when i listen to it first. But now i recognized the lyrics of the song more and more, the song starts to become better and better.
    I really like the thematic of the song and hopefully Mike recognized that he can do a new FM album. That would be pretty cool.

20. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team