"Welcome" Fort Minor's Return with First Song in Nearly Ten Years

Discussion in 'News' started by Zane, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I feel bad for Ryu

2. TheInterframe

TheInterframe Well-Known Member

Yeah same, I can see his point of view and I understand it. Fort Minor, although was Mike's personal project, SOB was a big part of it, hell most people know Fort Minor as FM+SOB. I guess Ryu kind of feels ripped off that Mike is not mentioned him at all and I can understand that.

3. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I had a feeling that Ryu was feeling left out and Mike wanted to make it really clear that Fort Minor is Mike Shinoda in a passive way that ended up hurting Ryu's feelings more.

4. TheInterframe

TheInterframe Well-Known Member

Yeah, sort of looks like it, I'm sure Mike's eventually going to clear things up with Ryu, I don't think (and hope) there's going to be bad blood between them. Also this does sort of support Mike's claims of this song being a one off, I mean I'd imagine Mike would tell someone about a new album, especially Ryu and he would probably end up featuring somewhere on it, but from the sounds of it, Mike isn't just trolling us, I kind of hope this was all a sort of prank and the new FM record would drop lol.

5. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

It took a lot of people to bring this iteration of Fort Minor into fruition too, though. And Shinoda isn't using Fort Minor as a stagename, just the umbrella under which he's doing music (for the sake of music) outside of Linkin Park.

6. thelastdisciple

thelastdisciple Active Member

What do you mean by this?
    Are you talking about people involved with marketing and merchandise or label stuff like getting him on Conan?

As far as I'm aware Mike wrote, produced and mixed Welcome entirely himself as well as the artwork did he not?

7. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Pretty dope. Very cool to see some FM related stuff after all those years :)

8. GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

Well,about this Ryu and Mike thing.....
    Ryu said he is over it,no beef involved between 'em and he said that it's all just miscommunication,nothing big. And he said he's100% down if Mike,at one point asks for his participation in the future.
    So I guess everyone can cease the thing now.

9. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

To be fair, Fort Minor is Mike's baby. He did all the instrumentation, the production, and a lot of the vocals. If Mike wanted to make an entire album not featuring anyone, then by all means, he can do it cause it's his project. And yeah, it does suck that Ryu thought he would be on the song only to find that he wasn't, but he and the rest of Styles of Beyond didn't make Fort Minor; Mike made Fort Minor.

10. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

To be honest, Ryu acting like Mike needed SOB for Fort Minor kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Yes they contributed to a ton of songs on the album, but the guys in SOB weren't the multi-platinum grammy award winning artists with millions of fans when Fort Minor came out. Mike gave them a lot of exposure, it wasn't the other way around. Therefore, if Mike decided he didn't want to use a verse that was recorded...well that's tough cookies. Mike is Fort Minor. It's not a 'collective' and it's a solo project at heart. It's his project and he can do whatever he wants with it...and Ryu trashing Mike like a petulant child in public didn't do much to win me respect for him.

That might be harsh, but it's the truth. Fort Minor is Mike's baby. SOB doesn't have to follow him everywhere he goes with it.

11. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

^ Well said.

12. Squish Mitten

Squish Mitten I'm a five-star general; infantry controller.

Mike could've told him that he's not using the verse in advance tho. Sure, SoB doesn't need to be on every song, but Ryu finding this out with the rest of the world kinda seems unfair.

13. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Funny. When Styles of beyond made "Second To None," it was Styles of Beyond Feat. Mike Shinoda. If SOB + Mike = Fort Minor, than "Second to None" would, by all means have been a Fort Minor Track. It didn't happen that way, though. I don't feel bad for Ryu. As stated earlier, Fort Minor is, with all intents and purposes Mike Shinoda's side project. For Ryu to call Mike out like this and air his dirty laundry in public is in really poor taste and quite frankly, petty and childish. By doing this, he is basically putting his own nails in his coffin for ever working with Mike again. Mike, 10 years wiser, probably didn't like something with how Ryu's verse was. It probably didn't fit. This is how you can tell that Mike has grown as a producer.

14. Squish Mitten

Huh, Second To None was just featuring Mike though. For example, Royce Da 5'9" + Eminem = Bad Meets Evil but Writer's Block is a song by Royce featuring Eminem, doesn't mean that has to be advertised as Bad Meets Evil right?

And again, Mike didn't have to put Ryu's verse but he could have at least told him that before the premiere.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  15. Hybrid

That makes the opposite of sense. If you make a collective group out of artists, down the line, if that group of artists meet back up for a collaboration, logic dictates that the group should be what the collective is called in the first place. With your example, I'm sure there could be reasons written in contracts that could dictate the technicalities of a group's name, since that song you mentioned was on Royce's album, however, my example was initially a one-off for a movie soundtrack...

I'm not going on the record of calling Ryu a liar, but what if he did let him know and the little bit of attention that Mike is getting right now rubbed him the wrong way? All I'm saying is that people get silly when it comes to money and/or attention.

16. Squish Mitten

:(

Come on, isn't that too harsh an assumption for something we know absolutely the bare minimum about?

17. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Blah. I understand where Ryu's coming from. Sure, to call out Mike publicly is a bit childish, but Mike not telling Ryu in the first place isn't that cool either. Whatever. It's not really our business in the end.

18. Squish Mitten

This.

19. Hybrid

Sure, I'm just speculating, but like you said, we didn't hear that conversation happen. It could have gone the other way. After all, Mike went on record saying that he had the idea for the song. Mike knew the direction that he wanted to take it and as a collaborator with someone as picky about their work as Mike is, they should know going into it that their idea to add onto his brainchild might not make it all the way out to the end.

20. polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

I don't think what Ryu did was childish, personally. Generally, Mike is such a nice and well meaning guy, I would never expect such a thing from him. I think we might have misinterpreted or exaggerated Ryu's tweets. But I was really hoping that those tweets were just a joke.

I feel bad for him.

Also Hybrid, I really don't think its fair of you to assume such a thing.