Hannibal

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Lee, Aug 12, 2013.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Verger has to sound over the top, the show was trying to make you used to his characterization via his voice and odd way f speaking as he can't really rely on his facial expressions anymore to show any intricacies.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

THE FINALE. THE LAST 20 MINUTES. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

[​IMG]

Jesse

Jack.
    Allana.
    Will.
    Abigal.
    Bedelia.
    Hannibal.

Oh, my.

Gibs

[​IMG]

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

The finale unnecessarily drew out the story.

Gibs

SPOILERS FOR THE SEASON 2 FINALE:

Taken from an IGN interview with Bryan Fuller:

Dammit Fuller, you cocktease! The entire first episode of Season 3 will be Hannibal and Belinda focused.
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/24/hannibal-bryan-fuller-on-season-2s-shocking-end-and-big-changes-in-season-3?page=1

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Have you guys seen this new Twitter account "Hannibal At The Zoo"?

The monkey touches himself not to feel pleasure, but to demonstrate to the zookeeper that he cannot be controlled.

:rofl:

https://twitter.com/ZooHannibal

Gibs

:rofl:

Jesse

Belinda is Clarice? Or Belinda is playing the long con.

I did see that "Hannibal at the Zoo" thing. Quite nice.

Gibs

[thumb]http://media.giphy.com/media/xTiTnEUrzJ4RNp8opy/giphy.gif[/thumb]

Jesse

Pitiful.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Last poster was better. But it's no big deal.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

The new season premiere felt pretty slow and not knowing who survived is really bugging me. Should be a great season, though.

Gibs

Going in, I knew it was going to be solely about Hannibal and Bedelia, since Bryan Fuller confirmed that nearly a day after the the season 2 finale aired, so that helped my experience a bit. While it was a bit uneventful, I thought it did a great job at establishing the dynamic / relationship between the two. The episode was 99% people just talking, yet every scene was super tense for me. And, as always, the cinematography was absolutely gorgeous.

One thing that I really can't wait to see in the coming episodes are the flashbacks with Bedelia's patient that she killed. It was a nice twist that she was the one that killed the guy, not Hannibal. It does a great job in playing up the idea that Hannibal is extremely manipulative, making those he controls seemingly "not in control" of their own actions.

This episode felt almost like a new series entirely, which I really dug. I can't wait to see where the series will be going this season. I've got a general idea of how it will play out, but seeing how it will unfold will be very interesting.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I wasn't surprised to find out Bedelia killed her patient, since she did explicitly say "I killed him" to Jack Crawford during her interview, but that entire flashback scene came so sudden. Was not expecting it at all.

Gibs

I guess you're right. It's been a while since I've seen season 2. You had the pleasure of seeing it very recently. :)

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

This is the real season 3 poster of Hannibal.

[​IMG]

I'm not following the show that much, but I do hear it's terrific. Anyways, I've got a few questions:

1) Is Laurence Fishbure still a regular? I thought he became recurring to produce Black-ish.

2) Are they gonna closely follow Red Dragon, since Francis Dolarhyde is in the season, and

3) Does the show linearly follow the books (as massively hinted by Bryan Fuller) or do elements from later books show up like the antagonist of Hannibal (the book)?

LeoMPhillyFan

LeoMPhillyFan Well-Known Member

So I've heard a lot of great things about this show and am thinking about starting it. However, the plot doesn't seem much different than Dexter, with "the serial killer throwing everybody off by working with the police" (I realize that the series is loosely based on books that were published before Dexter was created). What does this show do that distinguishes itself from Dexter and the Following and other similar serial killer shows? There are so many shows on my list, I want to make sure this show is special if I'm going to invest in it.

Gibs

1) The second one. If I remember correctly, he's just a recurring character now.

2) Episode 7-13 will be, as Bryan Fuller has put it, "A Red Dragon mini-series." But given the deviations the show has made from the books, and Red Dragon elements the show has already incorporated, I doubt it will be adapted exactly as it is in the book.

3) Does the show linearly follow the books? Sorta yes, sorta no. The show Hannibal is basically Bryan Fuller taking creative license with the Hannibal universe. The events of the first two season are based on events mentioned in Red Dragon, but the way said events are brought to the screen makes it so the show couldn't actually function as a true prequel to Red Dragon. Bryan Fuller put it great when he said something along of the lines that they're "DJs remixing elements of Thomas Harris' books, while still retaining the core of what they are."

I'd say definitely start watching it. It is a fantastic show.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    Gibs

Sorry for the double post.

I didn't realize until it was done how long this was. :lol:

I've never seen Dexter, nor have I seen enough of The Following to give you a proper answer, but, I think a big misconception about Hannibal is that it is about "the serial killer throwing everybody off by working with the police," as you say. Is that element there? Yes. But it is not the focus of what the show is; Hannibal Lecter isn't even really the main character, Will Graham is. The show is more about the relationship between Will Graham and Hannibal Lecter, and how what happens in the show affects them, to put it very broadly.

As for things that distinguishes itself from other shows, there are a few big ones. For one, the show is shot BEAUTIFULLY. You won't ever find better cinematography on a TV show than Hannibal. Secondly, it has a gore level that is very high for a network show like NBC. There are kills that are absolutey sickening, but that's one of the draws of the show. It really pushes the boundraries of what Is allowed on network TV. And lastly, and the most important one for me, it is a real slow-burn. It isn't fast paced at all, nor is there going to be immediate resolution on plotlines. But it is all great build up, and each mid-season finale and season finale thus far have been absolutely incredible. One aspect of the show that I adore is how the events of a crime had a massive effect on the main character's psyche, unlike your typical cop show where the main character is fine once everything is done, and goes on to the next investigation. like nothing happened.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015