"Session" - Song by Song, Let's Talk Linkin Park

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by hawk, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Quadra Post....

I remembered also this : WTCFM Outro >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Messenger :kappa:

Captain-EO likes this.
  2. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I was gonna ask people to come in and post so a page gets filled up, but you, man. :cry: You're so kind.

3. Tocaraca

Tocaraca A part of me screams away silently

I now love The Messenger, it's so easy to sing along to, and the way Chester screams every word makes me want to sing it myself in a more peaceful way.
    You want this topic to get filled up Filip? :rolleyes:

4. Michele

good. you owned my respect now.

Captain-EO likes this.
  5. Filip

Yes. With people coming in every two days and posting their opinions of the song. Then a discussion between members (something you guys largely fail in btw.). Also, if you missed a song, you missed it. Eventually, if you missed your all time favorite song, write down a simple sentence about it. And move on to the next one in the same post. Double posting is against the rules here... quadriple posting... I don't even know how you thought that was a good idea.

6. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

So unprofessional :sheldon:

I'm gonna catch up on the last three cause I can (fight me Filip).

Hands Held High

One of my favorites from Linkin Park. Mike seems very passionate about what he's rapping about. Also nice to hear that the bass wasn't buried in the mix. This album had some really well done mixing.

No More Sorrow

It's a cool and fun song to listen to. The chorus immediately following the bridge is pretty amazing, though.

Valentine's Day

The feels, man. So many feels :cry:
    Just the way Chester sings "Cause my path has lost direction somehow" almost brings me to tears every time I hear (and usually does if I'm in a depressed mood). And the staccato guitar part laid out by Brad also really helps bring a dark and depressing atmosphere. And I just love the way it explodes at the end, like Chester is just taking all of his anger and sadness and yelling it out to the world.

I have to completely disagree with you. Chester's vocals really only come across to me as whiny right at the beginning of the song (the first two lines), and yet I don't mind that type of delivery, especially on such a dark and depressing song. Also, I feel like it's one of the strongest and most unique tracks on the album. This song displays a lot of emotion and is relatable similarly to stand-out tracks like TLTGYA.

Also, if anything, Linkin Park does very well in the "emo-ish Alt. Rock" genre. I wish they would dive into that territory more often and stray away from meaningless heavy songs.

You're welcome, Filip.

Captain-EO likes this.
  7. Filip

A bit of a short one, but...

"In Between" is the tenth track on Minutes to Midnight. The song, just like "Hands Held High", and many others in future, began with an experiment the new producer Rick Rubin had suggested to the band. This time, the suggestion was that sometimes the most obscure and simple demos the band has can become great with the right vocal melody. The song was the first ever on a Linkin Park studio album to feature solely Mike Shinoda singing, only backed up by Chester a bit in the background. It is without a doubt the bands slowest, most low-key song ever. A live version of the song can be found on the Given Up iTunes EP, which... makes no sense, but we'll let it slip. It was rarely performed live. No demo name for the song is known, but the Minutes to Midnight booklet notes speak on the songs origins:

Before the release of the album, the band had a track by track review with Kerrang!, in which Chester said:

Built around a slow string sample, the track, just like it's precessor on the album, slowly builds, but unlike "Valentine's Day", it never quite explodes. Through the song, many more elements appear. Quiet drums, guitar work from Brad Delson and more... And just like the band obviously thought, the vocal melody in the track really is beautiful. Mike's singing may not have been at the level it is now, but he could definitely pull it off. Lyrically, the song begins with an apology, and what the apology is about is for you to interpret. Chester himself obviously doesn't know either.

It was rarely performed live, from January to March 2008, during the European and North American Winter tours. Maybe because too many people were shouting "play Faint!". No pro shot of the song was ever captured, but a good quality audience recording exists, aswell as several DSP's from the tour. I'll leave you with this performance below.

I'm sorry for the short post, but I've had a rough day, and there isn't really that much to say.

8. Tocaraca

Tocaraca A part of me screams away silently

I don't see the problem with 1 post for each song.
    Yes Michele. I owned your respect. HOW DO YOU FEEL :devil:

------------

OK, time for In Between.
    Probably my least favourite song in LP. I do like the vocals in the bridge section, which if you don't know is this part:
    'And I cannot explain to you
    And anything I say or do or plan

Fear is not afraid of you
    But guilt's a language you can understand

I cannot explain to you
    And anything I say or do
    I hope the actions speak the words they can.'
    I also like the instrumental part towards the end of the song, and the way that Mike uses doubling effects. Or is that Chester also singing there? :)

Oh, and I just pressed the edit button before I double posted.
    My dream setlist would be this album but with No Roads Left instead of In Between, and Debris instead of Hands Held High. I don't hate any song on LP, but I don't particularly like In Between.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  9. brady

It's not recommended that you double post on this site... and you quadruple posted. :facepalm:

If you're going to catch up on songs you missed, try using a format similar to mine. I briefly went over the past songs and went in more depth with the current song. The point of this thread is to create conversations about a certain song. Once a song is passed it's passed. Move on.

Captain-EO likes this.
  10. Michele

Hands Down , my least LP Song :worship:

Its ok , but its really , really mehhh to me. Also if i like Mikes voice in it. Its boring.

Captain-EO likes this.
  11. Avo

Avo Don't Stop Running

Another one of my favorites from MTM. It showcases the best quality of Mike's vocals imo- his sincerity. Like Chester said, he really conveyed the tone of the lyrics really well with his performance. Especially when the instruments all fade out for the last chorus.

12. lovablepanda

lovablepanda Well-Known Member

A song that I wished stood out to me more. In between really is a unique track in Linkin Park history in that it is indeed the most low key song they have done. It has a really good atmosphere when I listen to it however its lack of a really good climax does not make it stand out to me as much as it should. Still love the song but not one that I seek out a lot.

13. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

Miracles do happen

---------------------

With In Between, I find that I only really like and/or connect with I'm in the right mood for it tbh

14. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Did we ever find out if they used live cello for the album recording?

15. brady

Very true. It's a fairly boring song when you have no reason to connect to it. But when you're able to connect emotionally with the song and its lyrics, it really becomes a standout track.

Also, Mike sounds awful during that live performance. He needs more confidence while singing live (while has gained some confidence over the years).

Captain-EO likes this.
  16. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

In Between is one of their best lyrically I think. It feels very, complete; it feels like a fully realized story. It builds greatly, and Mike's singing feels very honest. I love the song. Less is more.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    Captain-EO likes this.
  17. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

In Between was one of the last songs I had listened to off the main albums, and I honestly didn't miss much.

Interesting and different take on a song, but I can't defend it here. Minimalist approach works better with different instruments and this is just ... Weird.

The lyrics are cringey for the most part, but "the only thing that's worse than one is none" is a really good line and it stands out among the rest.

That synth line sounds like they just guessed at a riff to do and threw in notes wherever. Like Brad doing the Faint solo. The bridge sounds weird but it sounds good when the chorus starts again with just the guitar and synth (a recurring theme in most of their bridges), but then another chorus comes in halfway through in what sounds like a cut and paste job done by Helen Keller.

They still should have played it live for a little while longer so they could try to improve the singing. Mike's live singing is always too nervous, even on Rebellion today, and Chester has no idea how to harmonize when he is on backup for a change. ALTNC got some play until they got it a little better, but not this.

So I'm done bitching about this song, I'm gonna go listen to ALITS. A great song. Fortunately the next song in the thread will be a good one.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  18. Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

Oh god, that always bugged the hell out of me.

19. Filip

I think there's a few seconds in Making of MTM that show Phoenix playing the cello, but I'm not sure. This does sound live. Maybe recorded on the same day they had that orchestra record strings for some songs?

20. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

No-one was credited for live strings on the song, though, in the liner notes