"Session" - Song by Song, Let's Talk Linkin Park

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by hawk, Jul 2, 2014.

1. zazofazo

zazofazo Well-Known Member

One of the best linkin park songs no doubt about it , although i think that the only downside of the song is what's meant to be ''guitar solo'' which is very simple in album version

Other than that, great lyrics ,great performance from chester and contrary to their biggest hits i feel it doesn't belong to ''pop'' territory despite it containing some ''pop'' elements

But it certainly has the rock flavor and sensibility to it

It's probably my 2nd favorite mainstream hit of theirs and it grew on me faster than any linkin park song ever and i can take this song over ''numb'' anyday

IMO, this song is way better than ''numb'' which has laughable lyrics in comparison..

2. Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

HHH is a very nice song. I will admit, MTM was the hardest album for me to get into, with this song and many others taking a long time to enjoy, but its grown nicely.

Good message behind the track, tho not too relevant with LP (as far as I know) in terms of meaning. My favorite rendition like many others is the mash up with the intro to the reanimation version of Crawling, sends chills down my spine.

3. Avo

Avo Don't Stop Running

One of the best songs off MTM for me. The passion in Mike's delivery just get me every time, especially when those strings come in midway through the second verse.

4. Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

"With hands held high into a sky so blue as the ocean opens up to swallow you" Love that line. HHH is just damn beautiful... I think Mike's verses are great and I love how passionately he delivers them. The only thing that really bugs me is the gang vocals on the chorus. They just sound a bit, for lack of better words, "lame" to me. I wish they would have just used Chester's vocals. I mean come on, the chorus sounds ten times better here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJw82xm76Ug That's why I actually prefer the live version over the album version.

5. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

One change I was hoping to make. In the interest of there being no delays, I'm gonna do a delay on purpose. :lol: New posts will be up every Friday, Sunday and Tuesday. Leaves a 3 day gap for every third song, but I think I can keep doing this regularly if that's the schedule. If I have to make a post on Monday, it will be late more often than it will arrive on time. Now, moving on to "No More Sorrow"!

"No More Sorrow" is the eighth track on Minutes to Midnight. The live version of the song was released as a promotional single in 2008, but it failed to chart. Despite that, upon the release of the album, the song entered the Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles chart at #24. Prior to the release of the album, the song was described by both the band and critics who had heard the album as the heaviest song on the album. The song was described by some critics as reminiscent of early Metallica material. The original demo started when Rick Rubin told Brad he should use an E-bow on "The Little Things Give You Away", the final track on the album. E-bow did not end up on the song, but while experimenting with an E-bow, Brad came up with a demo called "Ebow Idea", which would ultimately become "No More Sorrow". Along with "Hands Held High" and "The Little Things Give You Away", "No More Sorrow" is one of the most political songs on the album. The lyrics were written from the perspective of a person who is dissatisfied with the government and it's politicians, and aware of everything they do. The liner notes for the song in the album booklet read:

The song begins with the guitar part Brad wrote while experimenting with an E-bow, which gives the song a different feel from anything Linkin Park has done before or after that right off the bat. Soon enough, march-like thunderous snares from Rob Bourdon backed up by fast powerchords from Delson appear. During the Making of Minutes to Midnight, Rob Bourdon said he spent a lot of time practicing for his drums on this song, trying to improve his performance, after which he was told by Rick Rubin and the band that his original drumming was better, and they would go back to that version. I imagine that feeling sucks, but even Rob agreed it was for the best. Bennington soon begins the first verse, before jumping into the the now legendary chorus. While still being built on the Hybrid Theory/Meteora formula, "No More Sorrow" offers a much more raw, rock 'n' roll take on it. Critics were split on the song. Some said very positive things about the song, praising the heavy feel of it as opposed to most of the record, while others discarded as generic or "safe". In an early track by track review with Kerrang!, Rob and Chester spoke on the song, with Chester saying:

Chester Bennington opens the song with a rhetorical question, "Are you lost in your lies?", pointed at the target of the song, mostly politicians. Through the rest of the explores the limits these people are ready to cross to satisfy their greed, before proclaming "I'm aware of what you've done". The theme in the chorus is something Linkin Park has written many songs about, need for a rebellion and change. Most recently they did it really, really obviously - "Rebellion". But that's off-topic. In the second verse, he tells exactly what most politicians are - liars and thieves who abuse power with greed. But the sad part is that the person, as most of us, once believed these people could make a change in the world, a change for the better. In the breakdown he further emphasises this point, calling them "thieves and hypocrites". The result is one of Linkin Park's most straight forward, yet one of the most powerful songs lyrically. It ends on a dark note - "Your time has come to be erased".

The song was performed live during the Minutes to Midnight and A Thousand Suns touring cycles, before being retired in the Living Things era. Just like with "What I've Done", the song was first played on March 14, 2007 during the bands recording of their Sessions@AOL edition, however it's first public performance followed on April 28, 2007 in Berlin. During the Minutes to Midnight touring cycle, it was played in the first half of the show, and it even opened some shows. This caused two new intros for the song to be created, one for when it is played in the middle of the show, and another when it's opening. Above I embedded the performance of the song captured for Road to Revolution: Live at Milton Keynes. For the A Thousand Suns world tour, the song was moved to the middle of the set, and played with an intro similar to the one in the Minutes to Midnight era, with a few minor changes made. The last known performance of the show was at the bands last show of 2011, the September 25th show in Singapore. Below is the performance of the song in London for the iTunes festival, I embedded it just because the performance is too sick not to be mentioned. Then again, everything from that show is.

So, Friday it is? :)

6. polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

I think the song is about some people at Warner Brothers and not politicians. It fits.

7. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

A fantastc live song , love how Brad start the guitar live an Rob hits in , defintly one of my favorite intros.

Captain-EO likes this.
  8. Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

Ah, No More Sorrow. What everybody thought THP would be. If only that happened :p
    Oh, I love taking the piss out of THP xD

No More Sorrow, I still believe today, stands as their "Heaviest" song, all the way through, and their most "Metal" performance. It's a song you can really tell live that Chester and Brad really enjoy playing, and it carries a lot of energy with it. I've always had a love affair with this song, simply for a love of LP's heavy side, and this being one of the perfect displays of the band letting loose and thrashing out a really well designed song that could easily fit in a early Metallica jam. The thumping drums, memorable guitar loops, insanely heavy bridge and Chester's fantastic vocal performance... Just everything comes together into a really solid song and I really wanted to see more of this on THP (I think I've said this a few times on this thread...).

9. GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

That iTunes Festival video...I got chill down my spine when Chester led the crowd to synchronize the claps,and the chill got more intense when Brad came in....Just,UNDESCRIBABLE!!!

10. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

When all aggression seems abandoned in the boundless ocean of Minutes To Midnight's more intimate sound, Linkin Park strikes back with arguably the heaviest song of their career thus far. No More Sorrow opens up with a hallowed guitar melody thanks to the chilling E-Bow tone. Rob's drum line assault is the perfect companion to the thunderous guitar riff. The beast in Chester reawakens with a hunger as he growls for political justice. The chorus surges with power, easily one of the best the band has ever done, and the bridge presents some truly howling screams. The final line "your time has come to be erased" followed by that last, colossal scream is absolutely legendary.

In my honest opinion, No More Sorrow is better than all of Hybrid Theory and Meteora, and it's heavy aggression isn't matched again until The Hunting Party. The song is blissfully violent.

The live stage only elevates No More Sorrow even further, thanks to the indescribably epic extended introduction. I wish with a passion that this song took the place of Given Up as a single on Minutes To Midnight, so that it would still be played to this day. The chills given by this song are unrivalled.

11. Filip

^You're writing this when I give up. :sleep:

12. GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

THIS!!

13. lovablepanda

lovablepanda Well-Known Member

I love No More Sorrow. My first listen was meh about it but after a while, you start to feel the passion and the rage and energy that comes with this song. This song overall is just fantastic on a lot of levels.

14. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

Well, I've been slacking; I began writing about WID and didn't finish it, and then there were two other songs to do. Maybe I should take over the thread at this rate.:isee:

What I've Done is without a doubt one of the band's best songs. It was a great choice for Minute's To Midnight's first single because it really showed how the band has changed and become more than what they were originally branded in the days of Hybrid Theory.

Plus, it propelled them to even bigger popularity when it became the ¨Transformers song". Without that, we would have likely not had New Divide, at least in the form we got for TF2.

The AMBO intro is an awesome way to introduce the song at the beginning of the set, and the guitar solo bridge is even more awesome. I wish they would do those two together for once. Bang Three sounds good too, the chord progression of the bridge is alright, but the guitar solo is a way better version.

Chester gives a good delivery and the ending background vocals are good. There are also strings at the last chorus that are a little low in the mix, they sound good too, if you can hear them. Mike's remix is nothing special, compared to his remix of LOATR. But nothing much else to say, because it is such a huge song and everyone else has said everything else.

Hands Held High: The instrumental isn't much other than some nice strings, organ, a loop, and drumbeat, but the lyrics are some of the finest verses Mike has written. Brad's one demo that made it to the album makes me want to hear how different the other 25+ were. The chorus isn't so spectacular, but gang vocals improve it. They haven't nailed the studio version live with the harmonies, so they changed it to the version that is 100x better. Mixing an a capella with Crawling (plus the reanimated intro) makes it sound way more powerful, plus Mike gets angry when he raps the second verse over the instrumental.

Sonisphere 2009: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUfUpSo2Ves

Rick suggested the idea of a rap over a melodic song, and this was probably the only song of any that worked this way (or with melodies over a beat, for that matter), and some people aren't too fond of the band being told how to do their job, but they were looking for a new twist on a song, so this one is OK for me. Incredible lyrics, lackluster music.

No More Sorrow:

First time hearing this was playing an arcade version of Guitar Hero in Dave & Busters with my best friend who loved LP at the time. That was a jam and a half, and it still is. Way better than Given Up, the other heavy song on MTM. The live intro is cool, and I mean the one that is early in the set, not the drum intro for a show opener. The E-Bow makes it sound so eerie in the intro, and it was a great addition. Wonder what a demo would sound like with Rob's drumming. After hearing Rob on THP, I really wish Rick hadn't told him to keep the drums less powerful. Decent lyrics, and Chester screams really well here.

15. Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

No More Sorrow is LP doing heavy aggressive music right.

16. Filip

At least fill up a page for each song. :sleep:

17. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I used to love the song, now it has lost a bit of its luster to me. The intro remains kickass though!

18. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

:samuel:

19. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

As much as I like the song, I find I hardly listen to it. The bridge is amazing though, and the live intro is something I would have loved to see live.

20. LPBuq

LPBuq Member

This is my favourite song off Minutes to Midnight. It's heavy, it's cool, the live intro is pure awesome, what's not to like about it?
    I really hope they would play this live again. It makes the crowd go wild and is definetly better than most of the songs off THP.