What films have you recently seen? Pt.2

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by lime treacle, Aug 30, 2014.

Halfway Dwight

Halfway Dwight We are the fortunate ones.

You should read the book. It's awesome.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Gone Girl. Jesus.

Abel

Abel Chester Bennington saved my life.

Six Characters in Search of an Author (1976 TV film) - 7.5/10

Fantastic for a TV film and, admittedly, it was probably the first time I've actually watched Andy Griffith act. He was amazing, though. The Mother was unbearable at times, it tended to get a little wordy, and that almost clouded over the message, but I liked what they did with the original content and how they were able to adapt it to their vision while staying (mostly) true to the original Pirandello script.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

[​IMG]

Oculus (2014) - 4/5

For once its refreshing to see a mainstream horror film that doesn't rely on haunted house and boogie-man tricks (Yes I'm talking about the slew of James Wan directed/produced films). I found Oculus to be quite scary and meticulously directed. Even though the third act felt a bit all over the place, I still have to give it props for trying something new.

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Gone Girl - It was alright.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

[​IMG]

Horns (2014) - 1/5

Holy shit this is one of the most ridiculously bad movies I've seen in a long time haha. Seriously, this movie makes so little sense! There is no sense tone... one minute it's serious, the next it's dark comedy and the next it's downright hilarious in how bad it is. None of the ideas it's trying to sell work on any level. It's such a shame because based on the synopsis and the people involved I thought it had potential. Some of the acting and writing so bad that it could be passed off as a student film or something.

The only reason I'm giving it a one is because of the main hook of the film which I thought was interesting. Too bad they did jack shit with it.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Amy Pond tho!

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Lucy - 0.5 out of 5

Terrible pacing, amateur over use of Discovery Channel footage and CGI, and a flimsy, unfulfilling plot. Limitless is TONS better.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Dallas Buyer's Club 8/10: This is a really heavy movie. It was done to perfection. I feel something that didn't really get pointed out was the fact that this didn't feel like a big budget movie. I felt like I was watching a low budget LGBT movie. It just really felt familiar in a really good way. Great performances all around, but Jared Leto really hit home with me. I had such a heavy connection with that character. Especially in the last few scenes. I mean, I bawled during her angel speech in the mirror. Anyways, good stuff.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

After Earth, C.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Thought it was great myself :)

SEX

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

How dare you! She is a... Yeah, I mean, she's pretty fucking hot.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Yeah, I just watched Oculus and dug it. I like how they didn't try to explain too much and kept everything nice and mysterious. So many horror movies trip up when they incompetently try to build up some rich back story. Fear comes from the unknown, man.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion - 4.5/5

I must say, I was extremely well suprised by this TV movie (the first 2 episodes of the season). The trailers really do not do this justice. It is Star Wars in every possible way, and is absolutely fantastic. The team is great, and what I loved most was that the humor was actually FUNNY, it wasn't some childish slapstick crap. This looks to be a very worthy follow-up to The Clone Wars.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Gone Girl

Right after the movie was done I would have given it a 9. The more I think about how the story played out the more I dislike it, though.

The score was amazing. It's the first time in his 3 Fincher movies where I didn't notice it a whole lot. It really amplified the way we were supposed to feel without taking away our attention. After the movie I couldn't distinctly remember what it sounded like. I just remembered how it made me feel. Now I can finally listen to the soundtrack since I've been avoiding it before seeing the movie!

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Gone Girl was absolutely insane. I can't remember another time where the audience was so shocked by a turn of events. Absolutely riveting, although I was surprised by how it ended.

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Looks like I need to go watch Gone Girl.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Yup, me too. My Film Major friend called it a "masterpiece," but he is a bit of a Fincher fanboy.....

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Drunken Master - 10/10

Always an absolute blast to revisit. Vintage Jackie Chan for the flippin' win.

Maze Runner - 7/10

Went into the movie blind. Awesome experience, and holla front to Min Ho Lee for the role!

Lawless - 8/10

Tom Hardy was ace as per usual. Lawless was both relentless and subtle in its execution.

20. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

A classic. I can't think of many other martial arts films that blow me away every time I watch them like Drunken Master. Definitely my favorite Jackie Chan movie.

Grave Encounters/Grave Encounters 2

I actually like the premise of these movies. The idea of a team of cheesy TV ghost hunters encountering real paranormal whatthefuckery has some potential, and it's one of the few modern instances I can think of in which the found-footage shtick kind of makes sense. The execution is just all kinds of awful. The first one starts off promising enough, but then loses the fucking plot about 45 minutes in. The second one (which I still don't even understand why I watched after subjecting myself to the prequel) starts off as a turd, but somehow transforms into a Niagara Falls-esque torrent of violent diarrhea spewing right into your eyes. It's like you finally beat this total cock of a last boss, but then, for no reason other than fuck you, he turns into this laser-guided, 71-dicked cyclone of rubber aimed right for your un-lubed shitter. Even the most hardened sadist has to question what the fuck he is doing with his life after watching Grave Encounters 2.