Papercut?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by MattLP, Oct 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

My ultimate favorite LP song and a fan favorite, but most people do not know what the song is about
    the theme could be about schizophrenia(paranoia), depression, and anxiety.
    what does chester mean when he sings "The sun goes down I feel the light betray me"
    What do you think this classic epic song is about?

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

To me it's just about having high expectations, and constantly being disappointed/angry with yourself and comparing yourself to others. Idk what the line about the sun means, maybe it's metaphorical, and the light is disappearing and he feels betrayed by it, aka everything good is fading away in life.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Two interpretations of "I feel the light betray me":
    • in context, "betray" means "expose" or "give [me] away"
    • or it means "abandon", which fits with "the sun goes down"
    Either way, the song partly talks about feelings of vulnerability or nakedness.

polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

List!I corrected your bracket.

Papercut has such a weird creepy feel to it. I think the song is about paranoia and I think its a little exaggerated.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    minuteforce

<3 I'm not completely awake today

zazofazo

zazofazo Well-Known Member

I thought this song was about the effect of depression which eventually turns into some kind of psychological disease

most of Depressed people are always paranoia , they usually talk to themselves not because they are crazy but because they clearly hear voices in their head telling them what they should do , like it's some person talking to them , trying to bring them down which usually leads to suicidal thoughts and i actually knew people who had gotten into that ..

the song basically tries to reach out to those people and tell them that they are not the only ones that got into those thoughts , as everyone has a voice inside his head whether it's his conscious or even mind thoughts or whatever ..

As for ''the sun goes down '' , i always thought it was a metaphor describing the dark atmosphere where depressed people live

Anyways , i always prefer ''Old '' linkin park lyrics because they were more personal which something that ''new'' LP lyrics couldn't achieve ..

minuteforce

Depression is a psychological disorder, isn't it?

What does "personal" even mean here? :rolleyes: How is, say, "Final Masquerade" less "personal" than "Papercut" in terms of lyrics? I mean, the majority of the band's lyrics are drawn from the band members' experiences

zazofazo

zazofazo Well-Known Member

Well , depression is not a psychological disease , anyone can be depressed due to various reasons , but some people can't get over it due to multiple reasons which will eventually turn into psychological disorder in brain ,so it's not psychological disease in it's nature but it's the main reason for most of psychological disorders ..

What i meant to say is , that the older lyrics are more ''direct'' which means they focus on what certain person feels and you kinda feel it's directly from the heart which made the lyrics sometimes cringeworthy (e.g : numb , SIB) while the exact same songs can't handle more than one interpretation because they have a very direct meaning ..

And i didn't say that all newer linkin park lyrics are not personal , some are actually very relatable , but,also, songs like ''final masquerade'' could carry different interpretations , and if you watch it's music video you kinda know where i'm getting at ,it could be explained as ''post-apocalyptic '' situation where all goodness in the world disappears to be replaced by evil and destruction towards the end of the world which could be a possible interpretation of ''A light on the horizon was brighter yesterday'' , all their newer songs doesn't carry exact meaning , they could handle different interpretations which makes them less personal imo especially with the numerous music videos reusing the same format referring to overused topics like ''judgement day, war, nuclear warfare,etc ''..

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    minuteforce

I'd say that that's more a critique of the music videos, which are envisioned after the songs are written. The band didn't come up with that treatment and, even if they did, music videos are hardly the be-all-and-end-all when it comes to what the songs "mean" or whatever. :)

In any case, I like that different people perceive different meanings in lyrics and visuals

TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

This

However the Papercut video actually does represent what the song "means" very well, in terms of the running man in the next room, who himself represents your mind when overcome by paranoia

Edit: IMO

Dannyc

Dannyc Well-Known Member

Papercut is my ultimate favorite song from LP. I have such a strong emotional connection with the old stuff cause i suffer from major depression and anxiety/panic attack, and fear.
    Papercut is is def about depression and anxiety, and schizophrenia, when mike and chester say "its like a whirlwind inside of my head" that just screams anxiety and panic attack, cause when you have anxiety and are having a panic attack it really does fee like a whirlwind inside of your head. When chester sings the sun goes down, its a metaphor. its very depressing if you listen very carefully and understand the meaning. I think this is a fan favorite for a reason because alot of people can relate to it. Its a very dark song with a beautiful twist when chester sings.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

So as awesome as it was that you had something to add to this thread, the last reply to it was 1,158 days ago. We've been a little relaxed on Necroposting, but keep in mind that if there is a thread that's over a year or so old and you still want to talk about something, you can start a new thread about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.