Doctor Who

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Liz, Mar 30, 2013.

RazorEye

RazorEye The light on the horizon...

I love "Deep Breath" and Doctor Who's overall brand new feel. There's just an emotional depth to "Deep Breath" that, for someone like me, it's hard not to whoof up some emotion during some scenes. The whole religious overtone and the similarities between the robot/human and the doctor was very touching. The overall theme of difference and acceptance hit me hard personally, because I feel like I wear a veil myself just so I can be accepted in society. I guess that's the power of art; it really speaks out to some people. But the thing is, I've never actually had Doctor Who make me feel like this before. That's why "Deep Breath" is now my personal favorite Doctor Who episode ever. For what it's worth and well the script was written and the production for this episode was just too much for me to take in, even without the CGI, stock music and monochrome. Seeing the episode finally with CGI, in colour and with a proper soundtrack didn't change it much for me, to be very honest! It's still such a brilliant episode!

The feels. I have to wait until next week to talk about "Into the Dalek", since that leaked early as well! :p

As erratic as a writer Moffat is, he works on good story arcs, so I'm pretty sure she's gonna be unveiled as part of the big finale. I'm guessing somehow that she's a regenerated/corrupted River Song and that "the promised land"/"heaven" is the Library where she was saved. But that's very unlikely :lol:

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

My opinion in strong contrast to yours MKH. I thought the episode was excellent and that Capaldi may have the potential to be serious competition for Tennant as my favorite doctor. I thought he was fantastic in the role.

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

This, more or less. My initial thought when reading the script was that she's just some batshit crazy woman, but after seeing her, I thought "EVIL TWIN RIVER!", so yeah :lol:

My problem with the episode wasn't Capaldi, but rather how he fit in with Coleman, McIntosh, Starkey, and Stewart, and their established chemistry. Everything and everyone was brand new when Matt regenerated - new film style, full HD from the beginning, new companions, etc. Capaldi is taking over all of that from Smith, and I just meant it takes some getting used to, particularly 12 and Clara establishing their specific form of banter. That's what I meant by as The Doctor alone, Capaldi's great.

On that note, now that we've all seen it...

[thumb]http://i.imgur.com/FibWKm5.png[/thumb]

So, any theories as to why 12 looks like Lucius Caecilius Iucundus? They're playing this old/gray card a lot, and it makes me wonder if Moffat is planning on playing out RTD's plan as to why John Frobisher and Lucius Caecilius Iucundus (and now 12) have the same face.

RazorEye

RazorEye The light on the horizon...

I think it's just an acting role thing. I'm pretty sure when they casted Capaldi for "The Fires of Pompeii", they didn't think Capaldi would be playing the Doctor six years later! :lol: Although the whole "I remember this" thing that the Doctor casually mentions from time to time in "Deep Breath" is really interesting, and might be related. :O

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

RTD came up with something that explained why John Forbisher and Lucius Caecilius Iucundus had the same face and told Moffat he had said plan. After Moffat cast Capaldi, he asked RTD if the theory would still work and RTD told him it would, so I think it's safe to say it's definitely more than "might" be related lol.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Classic Who fan here. First, I can't understand the love for Tennant. He was a fantastic Doctor, but WAAAAAAAAAAAY too human for my tastes. Which is why I loved Matt so much. He was the perfect mix of the humor of Troughton and the pure Alien of Tom Baker (coincidentally, both my favorite all-time Doctors). Matt is easily my favorite NuWho Doctor until Capaldi takes the throne

But back on track to the episode Deep Breath.

It was the perfect mix of NuWho and Classic Who. The slower pace allowed for some fantastic character building, especially regarding Vastra and Jenny's relationship and Clara in general. Capaldi played the role fantastically, feeling almost like the way McCoy's Doctor SHOULD have been.

And while being humorous in many aspects, there were some somber dark scenes as well. Clara's thought processes concerning the change in the Doctor for one. Strax deciding to kill himself as opposed to exhaling and betraying his friends being a HUUUUUUUUUGE other. The return of the Clockwork Droids felt organic, rather than forced like the latter Weeping Angel episodes (I still enjoyed these, but they DID feel off after the brilliant Blink).

Overall, a glorious episode.

EDIT: I also don't understand the blatant Moffat hate that perpetuates within the NuWho fandom. A lot of people are complaining about the lack of quality since he's taken over when it has been quite the opposite. Sure there are some RTD-era episodes that outclass Matt's run, but the majority of those were Moffat-written (Girl in the Fireplace, The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Blink, Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead) and on the whole Moffat has been a LOT more consistent. There is no Eleventh Doctor episode that gets as bad as The Idiot's Lantern or Love and Monsters, for instance.

Moffat has been more of a boon to the Classic Fans than RTD ever was. He references many Classic tropes and characters. He literally made all of the Eighth Doctor's Big Finish adventures canon in 5 minutes. On that note, he fucking brought back McGann. The guy is obviously just as big a fan of Doctor Who as the rest of us, and absolutely is concerned about the future legacy. Whereas RTD definitely WASN'T.

Why is this, you ask? He irreparably screwed up Earth to the point of having to not recognize any of his stories. Look at how often the Earth was blatantly invaded in present time. You can't exactly bring reference to that with a new companion, hence having to explain Amy's lack of knowledge of Daleks and Cybermen with a crack in the wall. You can't deal with Children of Earth in the main universe because honestly, where the fuck was the Doctor there? When was he informed of this? What would he THINK?!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

^You brought Astra and Jenny's relationship. I loved the way they addressed that a bit. I hope they do more in the future.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Kevin likes this.
    Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I have not finished seasons 9 and 10, despite that im excited as fuck! All the saltly idiots are fun too! Haha

Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

I'm really excited to see what she brings to the role. My only annoyance is that we have to wait for the Christmas special to see her at first, then wait AT LEAST 3 months (hell the series could start in the summer) to actually see the new series. But that has nothing to do with the casting.

Noosh

Noosh Well-Known Member

I get the feeling Jodie will make a good Doctor but I'm also hoping the show doesn't make the fact that the Doctor has taken the form of a woman centre stage. Couple of jabs post regeneration would be enough. The fact the Doctor's now a woman shouldn't colour the character's personality at all because as they clearly stated over the past two series, Time Lords don't care for gender or sex like humans do.

Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

Just getting more and more excited the more it settles in.
    [​IMG]
    I was looking at this image and the excitement just became stronger and stronger

Jesse likes this.
    Jesse

Some people are getting really upset cause theyve been "spoiled" by this news. WTF? This is marketing, and News not really spoilers in my opinion. Like, do you consider the news that Capaldi was gonna leave a spoiler?

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

You nerds must all be devastated :halfkappa: - I mean, your favourite show has a woman in it now

Derek

@Kevin It's amazing how much she feels right at home in that image. Like you I was already excited the 13th Doctor was female, but that image just makes me more excited to see how she does. We haven't heard one line of dialogue from her as The Doctor yet, and that image already has me hyped for her tenure!

Kevin likes this.
    Doridorica

Doridorica Well-Known Member

I'm confused, just read in the newspaper that 13th Doctor will be some guy, our stupid newspaper are really outdated. I stopped watching the show when things became too complicated to follow (Moffat tried to do everything and just made it endlessly stupid), tried to watch it with Capaldi but became too much to download it every week. But I was obsessed with a show for a long time, downloaded each episode and then discussed it on forums. Wonderful period!

Derek

Well I think there was a lot of deliberate misdirection and fake candidates floated out there to give the impression that it was going to be 'just another guy'. With something this big and so different to the show, it wasn't something the BBC wanted to risk getting out before the big shock. If I recall correctly (from reading this somewhere), even the filming of the regeneration was closed off to most of the crew and barely anyone in the crew knew who the pick was. This was kept very secret.

The question is, being the first female doctor...do we want her to be funny and energetic like 10, or mostly dark and brooding like 12 or a happy mix inbetween (i.e. 11). Hmmm...

Jesse

I just hope shes a lot different than Capaldi. I didnt like him much as The Doctor. Sacrilege, I know. Yet the truth, nonetheless.

Derek

I have a feeling she's going to be a lot like River Song. Witty and a little cheeky, but also a bit of a badass.

Watch me be totally wrong though :lol:.