What is Joe Hahn using to do this?

Discussion in 'On Stage' started by FLV18, Aug 18, 2014.

FLV18

FLV18 Member

Im quite new to the world of sampling, and I'd just love to know how Joe is glitching/stuttering some of the samples during particular songs? It's all done in real time too, it doesn't cause the sample to stop playing and once it's done the sample just continues unaffected!

Some of the examples of what I mean include:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u-RTkKKbiU - New Divide, around the 5:39 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlXk6ljW6cU - During the Wretches and Kings intro

If anyone can help me then that would be amazing! Mike has also done a demo using a keyboard where he's glitching samples in real time:

http://mikeshinoda.com/2010/05/25/live-glitch/

Thank you in advance!

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Without watching the video(s), Hahn has buttons on either a nanoPAD or a MIDI Fighter - depending on the year, I guess - to trigger certain effects and, then, knobs/dials on either his mixer or another device to control parameters of those effects, all via MIDI.

What Shinoda uses in his Virus video is a Virus feature called "Atomizer" or something where the key-tracking (parameters changing based on what keys are pressed) determines how short the repeated audio slice is and the rate which it's repeated. Despite owning a Virus myself, I don't know much about it aside from the basics

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

Musician here! There is commonly done with three effects. If you use Ableton Live you have Beat Repeat. You can also use BT's Stutter Edit. There's also Sugar Bytes Effectrix. There are more of course but those are by far the most popular.

They run a buffer in the background so that when the effect is done the "sample" picks up where it's left off.

You can set the effect two ways, key off or latch. Key off means the effect is on as long as you hold the key (or pad) down and when you release the sample picks up right where it left off. Latch behaves more like a button. You tap the key or pad, the effect is on. You tap it again and the effect is off. Pretty simple but is amazing when it's done right.

I believe he's used a midifighter 3d which looks like this (beat repeat at :37):
    [video=youtube_share;Hm7Ssy9lLrE]http://youtu.be/Hm7Ssy9lLrE?t=32s[/video]

Daft Punk really brought it back in the live setting with their Alive 2007 concerts:
    [video=youtube_share;y2fHQs_HG6Y]http://youtu.be/y2fHQs_HG6Y?t=4m5s[/video]

Edit: In Mike's video he just has the repeat time set really high which gives you that "glitchy" sound since it's repeating a lot more within a given time frame than just 3 or 4 (or whatever) times. So instead of of "Wretches and Kings, Wretches and Kings" or "Wretches and wretches and" you get "wrwrwrwrwrwwrwwrwr". BT uses very very fast stutters to vast musical effect.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    FLV18

FLV18 Member

Thanks guys! So if I were to use the stutter edit plugin, using logic pro and the EXS24 as my sampler, I could assign one of the midi pads on my Midi controller to control the on/off parameter of the plugin, and so once I hit a midi pad that is programmed to play a certain sample and then hold down the other pad (key off) to activate the stutter edit effect, I would basically get what i am looking for?

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Basically, yeah. You could also assign other parameters of the effect to knobs or sliders on your controller. :)

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

This was cool to learn about! Thanks, Justin! :)

FLV18

FLV18 Member

So I've set up stutter edit and it's working like a dream for my samples - exactly what I wanted! The only issue I'm having with it is that, this is the best way I can explain it, when I activate it to stutter on a certain note or word it doesn't stutter exactly where I want it to. Like "There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart" - and I want it to stutter on "heart" so I hit the pad to activate the stutter but it's always lagging a bit behind the word so instead I get a stutter of "at". I understand this is probably due to the buffering, but I was wondering if there was anyway I could rectify this?

Im not actually sampling Wretches and Kings but thats the best example of the problem I'm having!

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

Could be lag (because you're not running a crazy pro system I assume). If it is you adjust over time. It could also be the quantize setting on the effect. A shorter setting means the time from button press to effect is very short. So I'd you're off it shows. Raising the quantize gives you a little wiggle room so if you got it slightly off it will turn on as if you hit it on time. Problem if the quantize is set to high you can't get those intricate stutters.

Looking at a screen shot I can see what setting it is but that's probably it. Some of the presets have a high quantize so you feel like they kick on late after you pressed a pad or key.