One Month After (and counting)... Thoughts about "The Hunting Party"?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by 3DU4RDO, Jul 19, 2014.

?

Rate THP One Month After

1. Masterpiece

17 vote(s)
    15.7%
  2. Very Good !

56 vote(s)
    51.9%
  3. It could have been better, but it's still good I guess

23 vote(s)
    21.3%
  4. Average Album

9 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Mediocre Album

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
    Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

Unfortunately, this is my least favorite LP album. The only songs that I really like off of it are Final Masquerade, Guilty All The Same and Rebellion. I also like Until It's Gone and Wastelands, just because they feel more familiar than the rest of the record. I have to admit that I only listened to the album in full twice and I haven't even bought it. I just really don't feel the need to listen to it, which is a first for me with a LP record. It's not that I think it's a bad album, it's just really not my style. But it doesn't make me like LP any less and I'm looking forward to the next record. I just hope they'll change directions again! I wouldn't mind another album in the vein of ATS or MTM :)

Jovertop

Jovertop Well-Known Member

Best album along with a thousand suns :shinado:

The Fortunate One

The Fortunate One Well-Known Member

Their best album. War, Rebellion and A Line in the Sand are mind-blowing.

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

I still love it, warts and all. I'm not even tired of GATS yet.

Joshua

Joshua is Mr. "to many Mind"

Same here. Also, i never thought, that i listened to Until It's Gone that often, since i was a little dissapointed at the first times. I still like it, actually.

The Hunting Party is really refreshing and i'm very happy about it. Only "Wastelands" sounds a little dusty, because it reminds me very much of the old days.

mastae

mastae Some Honky

It's good, but it's definitely lost some bite over time. It's no ATS, but it's still very enjoyable.

A lot of the tracks have fallen to the "skip" button in my playthroughs, but here are the ones that I always listen to:
    KTTK
    GATS
    Rebellion
    Mark the Graves

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

The haunting harmonizing in the beginning of UIG has this feeling to it. I fucking love it!

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

KTTK: Fucking awesome. I used to hate the lyrics but I eventually was able to connect with them a little, although if the lyrics were improved this song would be so much better.
    AFN: It's a good jam, but in my opinion this is the band being lazy. I would have liked a 3rd verse from mike or something instead of a generic guitar solo (a brief one) at the bridge. I feel like they just got so excited about Paige being there that they didn't feel the need to work on this song more. Also, Chester's lyrics are fucking terrible.
    GATS: Top 5 LP song. This is by far my favorite on the album. The intro, Chester's aggressive vocals, and Rakim make this track forever replay-able for me.
    War: My attitude hasn't changed. I appreciate how different it is, but the lyrics really bring it down for me. Personally, if I'm going to listen to a song about war, there has to be some kind of original take on it. I still like it though.
    Wastelands: Like AFN, the band is lazy here. I do love this song up until the bridge, but the bridge is nothing special at all. I do like the change in the last chorus though.
    UIG: Even though the lyrics suck, I'll always be able to listen to this track because of the instrumentation and Chester's delivery. Still gives me chills.
    Rebellion: The lyrical highlight of the album (excluding Rakim), and one of the best lyrical LP songs. And Mike's singing over Daron's riff is so awesome. But, again (this seems to be a common theme for me haha), I'm not a huge fan of the bridge. It just seems like they could have done something more creative. Still, great, great fucking song.
    MTG: I really appreciate this song. I love the experimentation. But it still hasn't grown on me a ton.
    Drawbar: This has grown on me a lot. Love the piano outro.
    FM: Amazing Ballad.
    ALINS: It's perfect through Mike's rap part, but then I lose interest. Chester's part in this song is not good enough to be the part that gets repeated over and over again. This had so much potential, but it's only an average LP song for me. TLTGYA is leagues better than this.

I really enjoy a lot of these songs, but overall, A Thousand Suns is going to ruin ever future LP release for me to some extent until they put out something with the same creative energy. Of course, creativity isn't something that songs have to have to be good, but that's what I personally want from this band.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I really disagree with this post. The technicality of some of the instrumentation in THP alone destroys any older LP music. Looking at it this way, the album is already a step forward. I could add more arguments, but this one seems good enough.

Anyway, still digging the record a lot. THP has some of my favorites LP songs ever, and this is something I couldn't say with LT.

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

At first I was very dissapointed by this record. After a week or so, it grew on me a bit. And now I don't care about it that much... I listen to it a lot, but it just doesn't have that something special that other records had (except Living Things). Other than Final Masquerade, this album is full of mediocre rock songs.
    LT and THP feel like lesser albums than the first four. They need to step up their game (for real) on the next album.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

It depends on how you look at it. I was talking about it in terms of style. Either way, I don't think Linkin Park challenged themselves with this album as much as they did with the other two.

:obama:

A Thousand Suns ought to have been enough for that.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

At the very least, Rob didn't hurt his back while recording MTM or ATS :)

Brad arguably stepped up more than ever before on this record.

I feel like the direction LP took this time is underconsiderated. Like it was safe for LP to do a heavy rock record like this, while this is the biggest change in style they have done since the transition from Meteora to MTM. Sure there are some classic-LP sounding song on it (Wastelands, UIG, All for Nothing), but then, each record had some of those, even MTM and ATS.

/ But at the end of the day, whatever. I'm just glad that personnaly, I enjoy this record as much as I do, and that a month and an half after its leak.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Atleast my dad cant say that all songs sound the same :lol: This are his thoughts about HT and Meteora :lol:

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Yet it was followed by Living Things. Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself.

lime treacle

As I said, I'm talking about style – this is nothing new for Linkin Park, they just made an entire album in this style. I have nothing against The Hunting Party, I'm just saying. It doesn't strike me as a step forward.

Catalystic

Catalystic New Member

I like it, but it's not the best. With the singles, I expected the album to be fantastic (so did everyone else after hearing Rebellion and Wastelands), but it was a bit of a let down. I had to force Keys to the Kingdom to grow on me, and I really dislike #9 and #12.

It was the rawness.. I understand that's what they were going for, but it was too much. As a Linkin Park album, it was way too underproduced, ESPECIALLY compared to Living Things.

I just expected everything to be twice as good as it was. It feels like it's missing something, like it's not complete. It's like playing an unfinished game while its in the beginning of its beta stages. I dunno.. I just hope the next album has the same heavy sound, but doesn't sound like it was recorded at home.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

It got boring fast

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Just like LT, this album couldn't hold my interest over 2 weeks (since the leak). Maybe I've outgrown the band.

NEN015

NEN015 Member

I loved the album. It is definitely one of the best albums along with Meteora and Hybrid Theory. The highlight of the album would have to be Keys To The Kingdom, Rebellion and A Line in the Sand.

20. lime treacle

I was thinking the other day how you seemed to disappear after the album was released. I suppose this is why!