LP7 / How will THP affect the band's future?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by lime treacle, Jun 24, 2014.

1. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I don't know man, it's just UIB does things to me that LITE doesn't. The rap verses are some of my favorite from Linkin Park. I love the melody of Chester's part and its exoticness. I love the trippy beats and sounds throughout the song. I love the lyrics of Brad's part. I like how it works and flows really well despite being so diverse.
    LITE, on the other hand, is a good song, but it doesn't really stand out. It's just a regular LIVING THINGS back-ta-der-rootz track. I love the energy it packs and the way it starts the album, but it isn't nearly my favorite Linkin Park song.

Here's the thing: unconventional = interesting. The reason a lot of us don't like conventional song structures is that they oftentimes make us feel like we've heard the song before. Also, it's much easier, and therefore lazier, of a band to write such a song. And they've written so, so many of them. To me, Linkin Park keep on proving that laying off those song structures is the first step in making the sky the limit for themselves. I'm talking "Guilty All the Same". "Mark the Graves". "A Line in the Sand". Amazing songs.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  2. shadowofthehabit92

shadowofthehabit92 Well-Known Member

I think the idea of them taking a break is a good idea. It seems very likely too. Chester has been working on the new STP record and maybe he will be dedicated to them for like a year. I wish that they would take about a year to be in the studio as well. I feel like they could make a good quality album and thoroughly explore what they truly desire to make. I hope that they stick to this aggressive, instrumental-driven style, but put a different twist on it for the next album. I wish that they could make it like a combination of THP and MTM, along with some ATS elements and have an ATS atmosphere to it. ATS is by far my favorite LP album to listen to all the way through because of the atmosphere it has to it.

3. Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

I hope they take a break and come back with something as good as ATS or MTM. The Hunting Party is what I don't want from LP or music in general.

4. Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Part of me actually believes that there could be a Hunting Party part 2 for LP7 simply because of Chester's comment saying he wants to do that for every album they do from now on. Never heard Chester give such an upbeat response to any of the band's previous work like that, and if Mike continues to stick to his word in saying indie music (and further elaborating into pop, hip-hop, etc) is too common, then it could certainly happen.

5. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I'm largely in agreement with this.

6. lordblood

lordblood Radiance of a Thousand Suns

I would take anything LP says during album promotion with a grain of salt. They often times will say anything to hype up their current album.

7. lime treacle

Where did he say this?

8. minuteforce

Broman may or may not have misinterpreted a quote where Chester says that he told Shinoda, upon hearing the "Guilty All The Same" demo, that he wanted to be doing that "every day" when making their new album.

9. Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Hopefully they never try something like The Hunting Party again. I like each song to have unique sounds and effects. You can do that with more variety, and a better guitarist. All the guitar parts in The Hunting Party sound the fucking same. Nothing stands out much. In LIVING THINGS at least each song had different sounding synths so they stood out.

10. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I have a serious question, do most of you guys listen to a lot of "rock" rock? It seems like a lot of this forum indulges heavily in electronic-based stuff and doesn't really venture too far into anything much heavier than Hot Topic metal as far as anything guitar driven goes.

I'm not going to paint Hunting Party as some landmark in LOLSOVICSERAL metal but there's a lot of variety, espeically for a band that in the past wasn't exactly renown for their ability to make a guitar sing. I mean I understand the band being so genre hopping on their older records and there being some sort of shock to their being relatively little here, but it almost strikes me as though a lot of you genuinely don't listen to lot of music that doesn't rely much on -for lack of a better word- a gimmick or heavy use of some kind of novelty aspect.

11. minuteforce

I listen to Linkin Park (who are now officially a rock band, damn it) and Deftones, and that's about it. Love them both. :)

12. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Depends. Most of the regular members here seem to lean towards EDM more, with a healthy love for rock or metal. However, come here in the album release month you'll find a dude named freddurst who wants Don Gilmore to return.

13. The Fortunate One

The Fortunate One Well-Known Member

I listen to almost every kind of music, I have a playlist for just about any genre (Easy Listening, Hip Hop, Rock/Metal, Pop, Indie, Orchestra). I do like a lot of rock artists (SOAD, LP, FF, QOTSA, RHCP, Incubus, etc). If there's one statement I feel describes this record perfectly, it's something I got from a Wikipedia Article:

"While restoring their roots, the band also explored the history of rock music, incorporating various sounds from different eras and musical movements. "War", for example, emulates the sound of 90s punk and alternative rock."

When I listen to this album, I can certainly see what is essentially a breakdown of rock music in all its forms. UIG contains elements of goth and experimental rock, FM has traces of 80s alt-rock (Journey, Toto). This album is quite the rock music "genre roulette".

14. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I think you just don't have the ability to distinguish heavy riffs from one to another.

Which would explain why all of LP heavy records are shitty in your book. Though, to put things into perspectives, THP has get in genera good fan receptions and professional critics reception. In particular, THP professional reviews were as good as the ones for your so-called-masterpiece ATS, and better than those for MTM and LT. You know, it means that the majority doesn't agree with you.

Yes, I'm being douchey, but I'm saying that to remember you that your annoying hate towards heavy guitars/ rock / metal is not universal. But at the end of the day, (metal) haters are gonna hate, right? :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  15. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

This because, quite frankly, Brad's guitar work is the clear standout of the album IMO. Normally with LP releases, when bored I find myself mostly singing Chester's or Mike's vocals in my head at any given time. Nowadays it's Guilty All The Same's guitar harmonization, Keys To The Kingdom's blistering solo, Wastelands' groovy riff, Final Masquerade's harmonizing riff, and A Line In The Sand's overall insanity that I hum. It's really a shame some people can't find appreciation in the instrumental work these guys created this time around.

16. The Fortunate One

The Fortunate One Well-Known Member

This basically. The riff in Rebellion. That shit had me jumping around the room.

17. The Free Element

The Free Element Well-Known Member

I hope that LP7 will be an heavy album like THP but with an art direction and a concept similar to ATS.

18. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

If LP7 is anything except pirate battle death metal versions of One Direction songs, I will hate the band forever

19. lime treacle

Hmm, it'd be interesting to see the band go death metal.

20. Paree

Paree I love my scars!

I agree.I really like their music(both soft and hard) but An album like ATS or MTM is soothing but its not rocking.HT&MT are real rock records.LT is a record which i consider as my favorite because its rocking and also it has some soothing songs.THP is great.I think they are moving in the right direction.Hopefully their next album will be like HT or Meteora :)