The Love for "Final Masquerade"

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by lime treacle, Jul 13, 2014.

M&M

M&M Banned

Nothing about Linkin Park is ''rock'' so I'm not sure why people are saying it's a standard rock song. Rock to me is music like Nickelback, Theory Of A Deadman, Chevelle, Three Days Grace, etc. But anyways, I love it because it's a good song with a good melody and you can actually see Chester's vocal skill, which was very underutilized on this album.

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Because of the way Rob brings back the instruments with the drum thing after the "bridge", that gets me everytime. Also, after the lyrical simplicity that was UIG (although I have grown to appreciate that song's double meaning), it was really refreshing. Plus, they haven't really had a song like that before. It's raw, shadow of the day/LOATR/IMR/Numb and whatnot all have tons of vocal layers, electronics, etc. In this song, the synth doesn't scream synth, it just kinda provides atmosphere, and that guitar tone is pretty unique for them too. It reminded me of Coldplay for some reason. And the melody is so catchy it's one of those that my friends all know just from me whistling it lol.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

That's something which I like about the album as a whole, really.

master360

master360 Well-Known Member

2 pages about the song and no one has mentioned Emile? come on

minuteforce

Emile Haynie's touch isn't especially obvious on the track, in my opinion.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Are you kidding or something?

minuteforce

Give them the benefit of the doubt. They could be speaking sarcastically.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

What.

Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

My favorite linkin park song ever atm

lime treacle

:lol:

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Well I absolutely love FM. The way those two guitars harmonize on the main riff is one of the best things for me, it's simple, yet very rich, also the vocal melody is on point and crisp, like someone said before the synth doesn't scream "synth" but it adds this 'mist' to the song, feels airy and atmospheric. Definitely one of my all time favorites.

It's a straightforward song, and simplicity in song structure isn't always going to be a bad thing and I don't understand why it's considered to be so in the first place. It just works and sometimes things will just "click" without having to put much into it.

M&M

M&M Banned

I'm not kidding, I have never considered Linkin Park to be rock music. At least since 2007, I would consider Linkin Park's music more alternative, which is a branch of rock. I wouldn't say straight up ''rock'', though. iTunes and Best Buy, for example, have Linkin Park placed in ''alternative'' as well. The Hunting Party does have some hard rock and metal influence in the music, some punk as well, but I wouldn't say that Linkin Park makes rock music. Like I said previously, I consider rock music to be bands like Nickelback, Theory Of A Deadman, Chevelle, Three Days Grace, etc. If you listen to all of those bands and then listen to Linkin Park, you will see the difference.

lime treacle

Ah, so you're talking "rock" as a separate genre. Yeah, I see your point, although I don't have that sort of view.

Sure. I like "SKIN TO BONE". Was much put into it? No. Same goes with some other songs. For me, however, "Final Masquerade" doesn't "click" in that way, or any other way, to be honest.

lordblood

lordblood Radiance of a Thousand Suns

Quite honestly the guitars remind me of Rammstein's Stein Um Stein/Rosenrot and Seeman. It's not a bad thing, I actually kinda like the straightforward powerchord riff. Other than that it feels very...Powerless, literally. I listen to the song now but I know it's not going to last long.

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

Final Masquerade is a good song with strong vocals. It will never be a highlight on THP for me but I appreciate that it acts as a "calm before the storm", the storm being ALITS, of course. Final Masquerade also benefits from being included with a seamless flow that starts with Mark the Graves, giving it more significance to the lead-up to the climax of THP. And one hell of a climax it is.

Tocaraca

Tocaraca A part of me screams away silently

The part about making it in their sleep I disagree, but I get what you're saying. Really, I don't give a shit about the structure of the bridge or anything like that, if it sounds good then people will like it. The whoa-ah-whoa outros are fine in my opinion. But it's not the best song in the album. No, the best song is definitely Until It's Gone or Rebellion IMO.

HurQlez03

HurQlez03 Well-Known Member

The more I listen to this song the more I like it. So much that I would campaign for a Grammy nomination.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Now what exactly would that change? Are you saying that because Linkin Park was aiming to do a heavy rock/metal album, the correlation would be giving Final Masquerade less credibility as a rock track? Makes no sense. Call it a Ballad, or whatever you wanna, its still a rock song.

You want enlightenment, Blackee Dammet's original post explained it perfectly well, and if none of that is clearly understandable to you, then obviously you are in the smaller majority that just has no taste for this song, and you probably never will.
    As I recall, you are a fan of Mark The Graves, a song that clearly has some LP fans split between a like/dislike. I personally have no interest in it. The track is boring, slow build, chorus is "cringe-worthy", etc. That being the case, the most common response I hear for its dislike is that its not a song to take in easily, or good sounding to the ears.

Obviously, most people enjoy music that feels simple, catchy and to the point (hence most of the generic crap they play on the radio). The thing that splits something like Final Masquerade apart from any other songs you might hear on the radio often comes with the fact that they wrote and produced the track (the idea of blood, sweat and tears) along with different aspects like lyrics (which in this case seem very relatable), the delivery (as pointed out by many others to be one of Chester's best), instrumental (a rock track that can be easily enjoyed without pushing away the listener), structure (Linkin Park doesn't have to outdo themselves with some A-B-A-C-X-G-H structure. There is nothing wrong with an A-B-A-B-C-B setup if executed right), and obviously tying in all these things together creates a much larger replay-ability, something Linkin Park has been able to do many times throughout their career, that pretty much signifies the track as being successful.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Yes.

You hear Final Masquerade on the radio?

Not a single line that hits me.

It's whiny, weak, quiet and honestly one of his worst ever.

Right back at the first point of the post. This is exactly what people like, and it is easy to like. Bam bam nice chords.

The structure is the same as always with a few minor changes. Executed right is personal. In my opinion, it wasn't.

I mute it on MTV and if I were skipping tracks on albums, I'd skip it. It ruins the flow.

lime treacle

I agree. Everything after "Until It's Gone" would have been practically flawless if we weren't slapped by a radio-friendly Meteora-level ballad right in the middle of it. ehlpee, dont meik dese sorts of songz animor pls PLS