"Session" - Song by Song, Let's Talk Linkin Park

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by hawk, Jul 2, 2014.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

One Step Closer is a song I still regularly hear, whether I play it for my own pleasure, or it comes up on MTV or somewhere. And I always enjoy it, very much. One of the catchiest riffs in their entire discography, amazing vocal performance and drumming, Joe as interesting as ever, and a trademark screaming bridge. I love all of it. When I see LP live, I imagine this would be the song that would get me going completely crazy, as every live stream/concert I see tends to do so. So, the live version definitely holds up to the original. I love the outro a lot, and the growl Chester sometimes does is out of this world.

And speaking of the RtR version, the first time I was watching it (just the beginning) was with my dad, while my mom was in the kitchen, not too far away. My dad kept saying "This is crazy!", while my mom was yelling to turn that shit down. :lol:

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I first heard "One Step Closer" back in 2000, although I have no memory of where or when exactly. As I got to hear it a few more times, I still didn't really become familiar with the song at all at that time, but my reaction to it was positive (IIRC). I soon forgot about it until the following year, when I finally heard "Hybrid Theory" in full and basically re-discovered the song in that context. The bridge was the one part of the album I didn't want to blast with my parents present.

I don't like the song too much now - even while I have a spot for anything and everything Linkin Park-related, "One Step Closer" is no longer the kind of thing I love the band for. The stellar production on "Hybrid Theory" keeps it from sounding too dated ... from a production standpoint.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

thanks Tony

'One Step Closer' is one of the first Linkin Park songs i remember listening to when i was younger. i always remember watching the music video on the old shitty desktop computer we used to have.

MagmaXtreme

MagmaXtreme Well-Known Member

While I like this song, its my least favourite on HT, and the Reanimation remix, 1STP KLSR, is far superior. This feels like a song that's just full of teen angst with not much substance honestly, LGM reminds me of this song because it feels the same way, except with less teen angst as the lyrics are a little bit more mature. It's also my least favourite on LT.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

"One Step Closer" is by no means a Hybrid Theory highlight, let alone a Linkin Park highlight, but the song serves as a decent lead single to one of the biggest-selling albums of the 00's.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Honestly, I wish that Papercut took the lead single slot over One Step Closer. The studio version just sounds cringeworthy now, no thanks to the horribly angsty lyrics. But still it's an all-time classic for the band as even in 2014 when the song is played on the radio in public or on a stereo at a large sporting event I still hear people singing along to it. In a live setting it's still a beast of a song and another highlight of the show for sure.

Pat

Pat LPA VIP LPA VIP

One Step closer was one of my favorites of the HT album back in time. Every time i listen to it, i feel that energy and hype i had when i first discovered Linkin Park. The melody of chesters verse is kinda... "mystical" (is that the right word?) and thats what i love about the track aswell. It has actually mood changed which i prefer in LP tracks.
    Awesome song and i could listen to it every day!

heafy

heafy Member

one step closer.. the first time i heard the song i was like "omg i love this"
    the song itself is beyond amazing, i mean.. "shut up when i am talking to you" is part of music history for a reason :D
    the video is so old lp and i love the green factor :D
    i wonder who's that creepy white kinda asian looking guy at the beginning.. the first time i saw the video on mtv i got scared of him so bad ( i was just 6 xD )
    chester is so badass <3

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

"One Step Closer" has not aged well. It is one of the band's most cringe-worthy songs. Laughably juvenile compared to the rest of the songs in their live set. I think it currently flies in the face of everything the band has tried to evolve away from. No idea why they keep playing it live. Not a fan.

Filip

^Oh, cause, 90% of the audience will go crazy for it? This includes me.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

90% of people who attend Linkin Park's shows are not actually fans of the band and, thus, only know of their most successful singles. That's my theory.

Rivendare

Rivendare Well-Known Member

This. Whether you like it or not, it's an extremely energetic song that's going to pump the crowd up every time.

As for my thoughts on the song, I love it. It's very nostalgic and is one of the most energizing songs they've ever made. The lyrics are a little ridiculous yeah, but I don't really mind it. This is the song I used to blast at high volume in the long car rides around town

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I certainly sympathize with this. Compared to a large portion of the band's discography, this song is very childish and is really just definitive of the angsty emotions of adolescents that the band's music, especially in the past, largely appealed to. It's hard to listen to this song sometimes, especially when I think of how some songs off of the same album were just so much stronger lyrically.

What I will say about "One Step Closer" is that the song has a lot of energy, and so in that regard it does well as an opener or a closer for the band's live performances. If the song does nothing else than to get your blood pumping, then it serves its purpose in the set list.

Despite its weakness as a song overall, I really enjoyed the way it was remixed on Reanimation. Adding Jonathan Davis from Korn in the bridge gave the song a new, demented edge that hadn't existed before - and I really liked that. Otherwise, the song is forgettable in comparison to the band's newer works.

Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

I look at the song as a Linkin Park classic, sure it's juvenile, but in my eyes it remains one of their funnest songs to date. To still have crowds getting pumped over it fourteen years later is impressive. Some say it's dated, but I can't think of many Linkin Park songs to date that match it in it's energy. It's still a crowd favorite and it is one of the songs you think of when you think of Linkin Park. Still, it's not my favorite Hybrid Theory song, let alone Linkin Park song. However, at one point is was what defined Linkin Park, not so much anymore though.

Filip

In The End, Numb, Somewhere I Belong... that feels aged. Not OSC.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

OSC . Didnt know anymore how i rwacted about this in the first time. But it had to be 2009 when i watched the RtR DVD. This Intro was really awesome and the song has so much power. I think they need to add the Reanimation Bridge for Live Concerts. I Love this at the Reanimation Version.

And yes, one of the most angsty LP Songs on HT ^^

Captain-EO likes this.
    Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

OSC's lyrics are cringeworthy but the instrumentation is great. Nice and groovy.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Apeshit for the sound and nostalgias, allowing everyone in their late 20s/early 30s to act like they're locked in their room being 15 again.

Vic

Vic No game no life

I used to like a lot this song! But now I barely hear it. It's a very classic Linkin Park song with the nu-metal sound and the typical structure, so maybe that's why. Still a cool song. :)

UltimateLegend

UltimateLegend Well-Known Member

Pretty much this.